• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

What should I put on my reels

Mesmo

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As said in my intro post, I am returning to dangling after a very long time.

I haven't even pulled out my reels yet to see if they OK but assuming they are, the line on them I would want to replace just because it's so old now and has possibly perished.

So! What should I put back on.?

I am minded to go braid which I think is what's on there now OR do I go for mono/ fluoro or one I had never heard of before till I googled it... Copolymer?

Also, what breaking strain would you suggest for the main line? I am likely to be fishing off of a shingle beach on clean ground and not trying to do a Tessa Sanderson whilst casting as I have Tendonitis in both shoulders.:cry:

As said in my intro post, I am returning to dangling after a very long time.

I haven't even pulled out my reels yet to see if they OK but assuming they are, the line on them I would want to replace just because it's so old now and has possibly perished.

So! What should I put back on.?

I am minded to go braid which I think is what's on there now OR do I go for mono/ fluoro or one I had never heard of before till I googled it... Copolymer?

Also, what breaking strain would you suggest for the main line? I am likely to be fishing off of a shingle beach on clean ground and not trying to do a Tessa Sanderson whilst casting as I have Tendonitis in both shoulders.:cry:

Morning Mesmo! You didn't mention what reels you have, but I would suggest around 30Lb, unless you want to use Braid straight through as some do, so go heavier to negate the need for a shock leader.
If you do use a shock leader, the rule of thumb nowadays is 10Lb of breaking strain for every ounce you intend to cast.
I usually add 10Lb to be on the safe side, so for a 4oz weight you need at least a 50Lb leader.
You also should add the approximate weight of your bait into the equation!

I can't get on with Braid for beach casting - tried it and loads of wind knots, so I stick to Asso (usually Ultra cast) 28Lb with a 60Lb leader. Also I can't get on with Multipliers, so stick to Fixed Spool! Mainly fish with Continental rods from a beach.
Everyone to their own! 👍👍

Morning Mesmo! You didn't mention what reels you have, but I would suggest around 30Lb, unless you want to use Braid straight through as some do, so go heavier to negate the need for a shock leader.
If you do use a shock leader, the rule of thumb nowadays is 10Lb of breaking strain for every ounce you intend to cast.
I usually add 10Lb to be on the safe side, so for a 4oz weight you need at least a 50Lb leader.

I can't get on with Braid for beach casting - tried it and loads of wind knots, so I stick to Asso (usually Ultra cast) 28Lb with a 60Lb leader. Also I can't get on with Multipliers, so stick to Fixed Spool! Mainly fish with Continental rods from a beach.
Until I dig them out again..... I can't even remember what reels I have ... they are fixed spool as like you me and multipliers dont mix

What are continental rods?

My rods from memory and it's a long time since I have seen them are both 5m long ones ..... I worked on the principle when i bought them that they would give me greater leverage therefore longer casts

If you are getting wind knots it usually means the spool is over filled. Try under spooling it. I use to get wind knots while carp fishing but it was due to the spool. I’ve not had one for years now. I usually fill leaving 3-4mm from spool rim.

Until I dig them out again..... I can't even remember what reels I have ... they are fixed spool as like you me and multipliers dont mix

What are continental rods?

My rods from memory and it's a long time since I have seen them are both 5m long ones ..... I worked on the principle when i bought them that they would give me greater leverage therefore longer casts

I'm sometimes not the best at explaining things, so there's a good explanation of Continental rods here:

If your rods are 5 metres, they probably are Continental rods. 5 metres is about 16.5ft! 😮😮
Curiosity says have a root through your gear and let us know what you have!
My 2 Vertix rods are 4.5m (15ft), and in a moment of total Madness, I bought a 2nd hand Mitchell 15ft rod, which resembles a Telegraph pole, and is due for selling on again! The butt of it must be nearly 50mm thick! 😁😁

If you are getting wind knots it usually means the spool is over filled. Try under spooling it. I use to get wind knots while carp fishing but it was due to the spool. I’ve not had one for years now. I usually fill leaving 3-4mm from spool rim.
Bad winding in, not feeding any slack back on under tension causes more I think. I fill my reels up and have no problems. as long as I manually close the bail and wind under stension

I did see that at the time on the Dark side, so pulled quite a bit off, but same result. The Braid didn't get wasted - it's now on my Shimano spinning reels and seems to work fine. It was Kastking Braid, so that might have had some relevance.

I use Diawa Sensor Mono line in 1/4lb bulk spools from fleabay uk. I have always found them good for abrasion resistance, depends where I am fishing if on clean ground usually 20lb is fine and always use a shock leader and base it the same as Tramps. I also use Sensor mono on my fs reels for spinning and game fishing, for bait beach fishing I always use multiplier reels.

Thanks all for your feedback so far..... much appreciated

I’ve got Diawa sensor on both my multis and my boys fixed spools in 18lb and Diawa tapered shock leaders. They do the job just fine. I’ve got Diawa hypersensor on my carp reels in 12lb, it’s got excellent line diameter but it’s probably not tough enough for beachcasting

Bad winding in, not feeding any slack back on under tension causes more I think. I fill my reels up and have no problems. as long as I manually close the bail and wind under stension
The quality of the line lay the reel has also contribute.
I put some daiwa j-braid on an Abu cardinal, big mistake. Nearly went through the lot in one short session. The reel was not winding tight to the top of the spool and was leaving slack line which just came off in a lump when cast, wind knot city.
Never had a wind knot on any of my shimano reels and been using braid on them for yonks.

As for my sea fishing I have okuma 8k surf with 30lb 8-strand chinese braid and 80lb or 100lb 4-strand shock leader. Touch wood no wind knots so far.
I started off with 66lb powerpro on a shimano speedcast, again no issues.

The quality of the line lay the reel has also contribute.
I put some daiwa j-braid on an Abu cardinal, big mistake. Nearly went through the lot in one short session. The reel was not winding tight to the top of the spool and was leaving slack line which just came off in a lump when cast, wind knot city.
Never had a wind knot on any of my shimano reels and been using braid on them for yonks.
Goes without saying I think

Back