• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

What type of Fishing Line do you use?

Beach

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I always use Daiwa Sensor mono and Drennan shock leader 10x the weight size.

Berkley Fireline Fused and tapered shock on both Penn Surfblasters. It came on two other reels I purchased as a joblot and transferred it over.
First time I've used braided line and I must say its very nice to use. Nowhere near as much wave or wind movement transferred through the line to the rod and can keep the line nice and tight compared with mono.

I use 10 or 15lb line for lure, not sure of make.
20lb with feathers from boat.
Bought some braid and loaded it on reel for lure fishing about 4 years ago and after a few casts it was a complete tangle, i know i must have loaded it wrong. So for last year bought new reel ready loaded with braid, but never got chance to use.

I've been using the Trabucco XPS Longcast in 0.4mm (circa 43lb) on my multi's for the last 6 months or so. Couldn't find any reviews before purchase so I took a chance on it, and i'm impressed with it so far.

Sits nice on the spool of my multi's, and had a few times now where i've pulled for a break on snags and bent out my 5/0 hooks. I'll stick with it for now and see how it goes longer term.

I'm a recent braid convert, well, since last January. Improved my casting distance marginally and the bite detection is amazing, though it did take a while to get used to a whiting bite looking like a decent fish!

Beach and rocks, I use spiderwire stealth in 0.25 mm 60lb with an 80lb or 60lb mono leader.

Spinning, I use 30lb chinese braid with a 20lb mono leader.

Various braids on shore reels from 70lb straight through down to 25lb 0.20 nanofill with a 50lb braid leader for lighter work. Berkley ultra 8 or nanofil on my lure reels with or without a fluro leader leader

Try a braid leader, nice small leader knot then?
I've not had much trouble with mono leader and an fg knot if I'm honest, really smooth through the guides, plus I prefer to grab a mono leader.
I did think about a braid leader when I first converted over as I had a couple of crack offs but soon realised I had too long of a leader on. Since using a shorter leader it's been brilliant. The leader is now length of the rod plus the drop and about 8-10 turns round the spool (enough so it overlaps a few times).

I've not had much trouble with mono leader and an fg knot if I'm honest, really smooth through the guides, plus I prefer to grab a mono leader.
I did think about a braid leader when I first converted over as I had a couple of crack offs but soon realised I had too long of a leader on. Since using a shorter leader it's been brilliant. The leader is now length of the rod plus the drop and about 8-10 turns round the spool (enough so it overlaps a few times).
That is an interesting comment about the length of leader. But to clarify are you referring to the fact that you had crack offs with a long nylon leader attached to braid with an FG knot?

That is an interesting comment about the length of leader. But to clarify are you referring to the fact that you had crack offs with a long nylon leader attached to braid with an FG knot?
Yep. Thats exactly it. I had about 15m of leader on and was getting problems on bigger casts, originally with an alrbright knot then I moved onto the fg knot which was better but still had the odd problem.
I then spoke to someone who advised me to reduce my leader length abit and that's cured the problem totally. Not one problem since the change.
For refrence incase it helps someone else, my rods are 6&bait 14ft with fin nor lethal 60 or quantum Cabo 80 reels. Leader is now approx 8-10 meters.

I honestly didn't think the shorter leader would help but it's worked a treat. It's also saved me a fortune on my old long leaders and moving to stronger braid than my old mono has reduced losses alot aswell.

The reason I asked was because I wkndered if I had made a problem for myself. I loaded up my okuma 8k surfs with 30lb i strand braid and 80lb 4 strand as a shock leader. Did it in the shed so the leader is looooong.
Only used one so far with no probelms but that was only short lobs due to where I was fishing, not given them the beans so far so I will find out when I get a chance if I have made an arus of it.

Are you 8 strand for the 20 and 4 strand for the 100?
The Saratoga is 8 strand that i use but i have used 4 strand braid like power pro successfully. With leader ive used 4 strand and 8 stand braid both successfully and as long as the leader is strong enough i don,t believe theirs any advantage in either. As regards the length of the leader i have a minimum of 8 turns round the spool , i seem to get less crack off,s not that i get that many any way

Last edited:
Without going outminto the shed, I thjnk I have 20lb and 30lb in 8 strand and 80lb and 100llb in 4 strand. I think they are saratoga and spectra. Can't remember what is what.:unsure:

The reason I asked was because I wkndered if I had made a problem for myself. I loaded up my okuma 8k surfs with 30lb i strand braid and 80lb 4 strand as a shock leader. Did it in the shed so the leader is looooong.
Only used one so far with no probelms but that was only short lobs due to where I was fishing, not given them the beans so far so I will find out when I get a chance if I have made an arus of it.
I don't think you'll have any problems at all, most people seem to have alot less trouble with a braid leader than a mono one when fishing braid as a mainline.

Braid.....but when using mono I've got 0.3 to 0.45mm Rovex 10x.

Prefer fatter mono for the BC. 0.45mm is ideal.

Try a braid leader, nice small leader knot then?
Someone on You tube Was saying don't use braid leaders as casting can snap the rod!? Only if a pile of poo most rods are snapped on casting if weights inside the Arc as over loads the tip.
Been using braid leaders a long time now and none of us have broken a rod.

Back