• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Where does a river end and the sea start for rod license purposes

Agreed but we were talking about targeting sea fish?
(y)

But the op asked about a licence, so i was just responding to previous posts about where (boundary between fresh water and sea) and salmon & sea trout also fall into the catagory of needing a rod licence.

Different again in Scotland where the District Fishery Boards are in charge, but technically you do need the appropriate written permission (S) or licence (in E and W) to target migratory salmonids within 6 miles of the coast anywhere in the UK. I very much doubt you'd ever get your collar felt out at sea but you could well do when you land. It has happened before!
Yes Scotland is different

Yes agreed but you can spin for mullet in a tidal river where salmon are and not need a license, for example

Yes agreed but you can spin for mullet in a tidal river where salmon are and not need a license, for example

Yes because you are targeting sea fish
Well if you catch a salmon stick it down yur wellie or wader and off to your car.

Just for Timmy i'm joking before you have a turn again!!!

Well if you catch a salmon stick it down yur wellie or wader and off to your car.

Just for Timmy i'm joking before you have a turn again!!!
Well…. I hooked one once while the river was in spate, on a flounder spinner.

Within 10 seconds I’d plotted how I’d crack it on the head and how quickly it could be hidden in the seat box.
Then the hook came out, a very angry salmon jumped right in front of me and carried on up the river 🙄

Many years ago and I was much younger, but 100% it was coming home.
Nowadays I realise how sparse they are in the river and I’d return one, if I ever hooked another.
Sea trout, not so sure… 🤔😗😗😗

Years ago as a kid of around 14 i managed (by luck) how to catch sea trout,

Not sure then if a licence was needed, as in Scotland, but they were coming back to tent/campervan for a great feed.

The Cornish are traditionally Celts. Is it fair to suspect therefore that you are not GPS?

The Cornish are traditionally Celts. Is it fair to suspect therefore that you are not GPS?
I was born a cockney, but lived in South Devon for the last 68 years.

Tbf, there is no love lost between the devonians and the oggy inbreds 😉🤣

Worth checking with the local authority. The River Leven has (had) great salmon runs, It flows from Loch Lomond into the Clyde and where it enters the Clyde it is saltwater. The tidal influence in R. Leven is to a point below Renton (red line on map). This would suggest that once in the Clyde, i.e. sea you can fish for what you want, not this river. You need a migratory fish permit a good few miles west of the junction, indeed right up to the Rhu Narrows. Red line on mapScreenshot (1).png

As I understand it, the boundary between the sea and a river is the 'Normal Tidal Limit', (NTL). This is often marked on 1:25000 OS maps. These maps are viewable by using bing maps and selecting the 'OS' display mode. For example, the Leven at Renton, as mentioned above, is shown here:

1716411384738.png

See the Wikipedia article 'Head of Tide'. Also the info on marine licensing at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/marine-licensing-definitions

I can't see anything specific on the EA web site. A good idea to check with local tackle shops (if there are any) or local clubs.

Back