• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Where to Plymouth

Druid

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi All
Just taken up fishing again after 40 years and would like some advice on places to go around the Plymouth area and the sort of fish to in those areas Please.
I have been to the usual spots like the Barbican, West Hoe and Mutton Cove areas and nothing special.
I was wondering also if anyone knows if you can access Penlee Point in your car as I am a Blue Badge holder so cant walk that far, and see that Berryhead carpark at the quarry is shut.
Any Help PLEASE.

Welcome to TSF Druid - fellow Plymothian! I'm in a similar boat regarding mobility, but I'm afraid I can't help much - you've covered the obvious with the Barbican (Elphinstone car park), West Hoe Pier and Mutton Cove. The only obvious one you haven't mentioned is Mountbatten Pier.

I can't think of any other marks for less mobile folks, other than a few further up the Tamar like Devils Point. I occasionally dip a line in around the harbour and estuary, but haven't been out yet this year due to the weather & health issues. The only other place worthy of mention involves a car journey of over an hour to the shingle beaches near Slapton, but I haven't heard of any outstanding reports from there recently.

The whole situation may improve when the weather improves too, meanwhile, tight lines, and stay safe.

There is quite a few areas on the Tamar with access to deep water , Cornwall side and Devon side , estuaries you can fish with short walks , Mountbatten pier , the plym , there are also beaches with parking close to them , the trouble with fishing is the bloody fish they are hard to find sometimes.

As mentioned Mountbatten Pier is very accessible for you.If you fish to the left it can be a tackle graveyard unless you intend using a float.Off the end is OK as is the right side.
There was a lot of pots to catch Live Wrasse for the bleddy Scottish Salmon penns off the seaward (left) side last year, and not far out either.

Back