• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Why you should always take two towels!

dodders

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Fished a local mark yesterday evening from low to High, not particularly targeting anything but hoping maybe a decent Huss would come along. Only had frozen Mackerel and squid for bait.
As you can see in the photograph this spot has a strip of boulders maybe 30 yards wide and beyond is cleanish sand bordered by reefs, with the sand only about 40 yards wide and extending for about 100 yards where it meets reef. In low water springs the whole area of sand is exposed.

untitled-2.jpg

Because this was a much lesser tide none of the sand was visible and I wasn’t sure if I had the right spot as the whole area for hundreds of yards either side is reef under water.
A couple of exploratory casts confirmed I was in the right spot

Not much doing till after dark when I had a couple of nodding bites which I probably hit too early and missed. By now it’s about mid tide and probably the best time here. After casting out my second rod, as I put it in the rest, I thought to myself those lines look a bit too close for comfort, they weren’t crossing but continues out to sea 6 inches apart the whole way. Oh well, nothing I can do about it now (mistake !). Good bite on right hand rod and fish on. I could feel it's head nodding and it started to feel very heavy. I kept a good pull on, and it definitely felt a good fish. You need to pull hard here closer in to keep the fish above those boulders, which were now submerged. I heaved away and was surprised to find everything go solid roughly at the far edge of the boulders. I was fishing pully rigs so the lead shouldn’t have been dragging. Put the rod in the rest and freespool with ratchet on to see if the fish would free itself. At this point I noticed the other rod was slack. Reeled in 60 yards of slack (Hell of a slackliner !) to the same snag as the first!

However this time when I pulled a huss about 2lbs came to the surface, but was tethered by the other snagged line, and it was stalemate!

Too deep for my wellies and I couldn’t leave the fish tethered, so rod in rest, strip off (luckily no one about) and wade into the icy February water up to my chest. Cut the tethered line behind the fish, and pull the fish in by hand.

untitled-4.jpg

Turns out my big fish was actually a 2lb fish dragging the other line and 6oz gripper all the way in!

Fortunately I had two towels with me and only used one for baiting up!

The rest of the evening was pretty uneventful with just the one dogfish

untitled-7.jpg

Next time I think my rigs are too close I’ll pull one in and recast!

Nice report and photos Mick! 🎣🎣👍👍

No way would I have stripped off & waded in - too bloody cold, and I can't swim if I fell over! 😁😁
I've always carried a hand towel, and Wifey loves those microfibre cloths for dishwashing. If they get a bit stained and she decides to chuck 'em, I give them a wash and dry, and put them in my fishing box. There's at least 5 in there!

Was that the beach where we last met up?

Was that the beach where we last met up?
Sort of, park your car in the same spot, but a 30 min walk west
You'd have to be careful stripping off on the main beach at Seaton with all those dog walkers! But then again its not snaggy there

Yes Pete its a nice peaceful spot as it gets cut off by anything over 4.3m so keeps the hordes of dog walkers away! Long walk to get there
Chesil can be a pain with dog walkers......... but then its about 1000 times better than Brighton which is an absolute mare. Quite like a bit of a walk and generally we do one, still its good for the soul!.

Made me feel cold just reading your report. Top effort though.
It was bloody cold. I've gone into ghe water a few times for snagged freshwater fish but that was a first for me going into the sea. When I pulled with the rod up high and saw the fish flapping on the surface, there was no way I was going to leave it tethered. Having said that, I'm a confident swimmer and do sometimes swim in the sea in winter.
Definately need to weigh up the risks first

Back