• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Will the Cod stocks now start to recover?

Bass&Chips

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Great news in the first steps to regain control of our waters. Pulse trawling is banned from our waters, effective from 11pm new years eve.

Next could be the super trawlers...

This can only help improve stocks and hopefully see the return of cod to our waters.

13 lb COD 2010 [1].JPG

It's a lovely thought Mr chips but unfortunately I agree with Mr codlin, the EU super trawlers will totally rape our British waters for the next 5 years .

I'd like to think so in the really long term but I have to agree with Magzy on this.

Doesn't matter if its super trawlers or smaller boats. The result is the same. Whatever quota is allocated will be caught.
we also need to look at the mass overfishing of baitfish for fertilizer fishmeal!!! We can over fish bigger fish for food but if we hammer sandeels for instance then the remaining stock have nothing to eat! We need to look at the food chain!

we also need to look at the mass overfishing of baitfish for fertilizer fishmeal!!! We can over fish bigger fish for food but if we hammer sandeels for instance then the remaining stock have nothing to eat! We need to look at the food chain!
Without a doubt

Doesn't matter if its super trawlers or smaller boats. The result is the same. Whatever quota is allocated will be caught.

Yes I think you are right. If I had to choose, I'd rather see it being done by a faft of family run smaller boats employing tens of thousands than a few massive super trawlers any day of the week. Plus I think that the people who run the smaller boats are more tied to their local area and hopefully would want to run it sustainably.

Yes I think you are right. If I had to choose, I'd rather see it being done by a faft of family run smaller boats employing tens of thousands than a few massive super trawlers any day of the week. Plus I think that the people who run the smaller boats are more tied to their local area and hopefully would want to run it sustainably.
So would most people I think. Ultimately though the quotas need to be lowered if any progress is going to be made. Set aside areas look as if they help as well along with better targeting and less destructive methods. I'm not going to hold my breath though

I agree it's not good but I'm holding out hope that the damage these pulse trawlers do to smaller juvenile fish stocks is greatly underestimated and that without them stocks will recover.

No pulse trawlers can only be a good thing. Although the quotas could be lowered, the way the quotas are caught has an effect. Consider the hypothetical situation where the quotas are caught on rod and line and then the same fish being caught by a beam trawler. Then consider a hypothetical super beam trawler with a 100m beam and ten smaller boats with 10m beams - the 100m beam will do much more damage than the ten smaller ones.

Unfortunately, I doubt anything much will change for us any time soon and even if it did, it would be a decade before we saw things getting back to how they should be.

No pulse trawlers can only be a good thing. Although the quotas could be lowered, the way the quotas are caught has an effect. Consider the hypothetical situation where the quotas are caught on rod and line and then the same fish being caught by a beam trawler. Then consider a hypothetical super beam trawler with a 100m beam and ten smaller boats with 10m beams - the 100m beam will do much more damage than the ten smaller ones.

Unfortunately, I doubt anything much will change for us any time soon and even if it did, it would be a decade before we saw things getting back to how they should be.
Why will 10x10 m beams do less damage than one 100m beam?

If there is to be a different quota system, do you think RSA caught fish should be included in the total?

No. the impact from RSA on most species i appears to be small
How do you know?
If you remember how the bass regs were altered against anglers, RSA must have had an effect on stocks, and that is only one species example.
X amount of anglers taking X amount of fish must make some impact.

How do you know?
If you remember how the bass regs were altered against anglers, RSA must have had an effect on stocks, and that is only one species example.
x amount of anglers doesn't catch many fish compared to a single trawler. The bass regs were and still are an absolute farce based on false data.

How do you know?
That was mostly because some anglers very vocally complained about bass stocks being commercially overfished,so the powers that be said right if you care so much about bass then you won't mind angling being restricted! Also it doesn't help claiming how many thousands go sea angling,they can say so many anglers x so many fish taken = etc etc.

I’m afraid I agree. Funds are being made available to rebuild the British fishing fleets. The same or more fish will be caught regardless of what country flag is on the boat.

That was mostly because some anglers very vocally complained about bass stocks being commercially overfished,so the powers that be said right if you care so much about bass then you won't mind angling being restricted! Also it doesn't help claiming how many thousands go sea angling,they can say so many anglers x so many fish taken = etc etc.
Yep along with the AT saying there are x amount of anglers catching x amount of bass trying to make themselves seem important and shooting us all in the foot

x amount of anglers doesn't catch many fish compared to a single trawler. The bass regs were and still are an absolute farce based on false data.

And that is the reason i put "X"

Back