• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

wind knots

j willson

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
now i am very good at get wind knots :oops: getting fed up with this so was talking with some one and he said , Vaseline on braid rub it in then pull knot gone ,it works :)

I thought I'd try KastKing braid on a beach reel a few years ago - can't remember which reel it was. Endless wind knots, so went back to Mono. Spooled the same Braid on Shimano 3000 & 4000 reels for use with Lure & Bass rod - no problems. Changed beach reels since then so planning to try it again, but with loads of Mono in stock here, and quality Braid not being cheap, difficult to justify the outlay. Loads of J-Braid & other counterfeit stuff out there too.

Always carry a lip balm with me I dont get many knots, hardly ever but vaseline works very well. Mine come from the lure spinning, but use a weighted hook now with a swivel on clipon the frount, but there times when the tide flow is slow and I dont use a weighted hook. That's when I will get one, but have learnt after each cast , while the line is slack to make a loop, buy the reel and see if it twists itself, then if it does, a couple of cast with a heavy stable lure, allowing the swivel to untiwst the line .

It wont be the braid , itself that causes wind knots, it's the reel and line lay. Also a small habit is after each cast just pull a short section off the reel before winding in your lure.

The reel needs to have more osalations as the spool goes up and down, or the spool to go up and down very slowly to the amount of turns the reel does, to get an straight line lay.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious

Last edited:
Always carry a lip balm with me I dont get many knots, hardly ever but vaseline works very well. Mine come from the lure spinning, but use a weighted hook now with a swivel on clipon the frount, but there times when the tide flow is slow and I dont use a weighted hook. That's when I will get one, but have learnt after each cast , while the line is slack to make a loop, buy the reel and see if it twists itself, then if it does, a couple of cast with a heavy stable lure, allowing the swivel to untiwst the line .

It wont be the braid , itself that causes wind knots, it's the reel and line lay. Also a small habit is after each cast just pull a short section off the reel before winding in your lure.

The reel needs to have more osalations as the spool goes up and down, or the spool to go up and down very slowly to the amount of turns the reel does, to get an straight line lay.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious
actually gavin that was my reason for asking the qurstion exactly. You have an old reel your going to have poor line lay and probable poor outcome. It always seems the better the reel the fewer the problems.

actually gavin that was my reason for asking the qurstion exactly. You have an old reel your going to have poor line lay and probable poor outcome. It always seems the better the reel the fewer the problems.
Totally agree Pete, sorry if I jumped the gun

Last edited:
Hello chaps😁

Moved over to Braid for spinning 6/7 years ago, only use cheap reels Shimano Hyperloop an ATM using a cheap Jarvis Walker. Never had many problems with wind knots?

I manually close the bailarm after each cast and also give the the line a tug after closing the bailarm, make sure there is no loose braid.
Cheap braid gives me no bother either, so I just stick with cheap braid now.
My lack of windknots is it because I use metals heavier than 25g?
Also I do not thrash at the cast.
I slightly underfill the spool as well. Even with mono, if you over fill the spool you get "windknots".

Other than that🤪 the first eye on the rod can be to close to the reel, now I've only read about the first eye problem and don't know if it only applies to long rods for beachcasting.

I'd have a look at the reel and make sure the spool is not over filled😁

Mark...

Ps, the Hyperloop might be slightly under underfilled😄 FFS, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20230523_124948.jpg
    IMG_20230523_124948.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230523_124919.jpg
    IMG_20230523_124919.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Vaseline will make your braid float so I'd be careful using it.

I've only recently returned to sea/lure fishing. But for numerous years used daiwa j braid for carping mainly spodding, with very few wind knots.

Wet it to start then a short cast and over the next five or six casts build up your distance.
Always flip the bailarm over by hand, never use the reel handle wind in to flip it.

Never over fill your spool, on shims load to the base of the lip.

If possible avoid casting head on into the wind.

I get wind sometimes but doesn't affect my fishing ;)

Most, if not all of my lure fishing is at night. Getting wind knots in such poor lighting, brings no confidence to a cast or to the session, whether long or short casts , especially when there is potential hook up on bigger fish.

Messing around with a knot with the lure still swimming, if there is a tide, is not my idea of a good session.

Can you imagine if you lost a big fish to a wind knot, when you have the chance to change the out come before you even get to the water.

Vaseline is great, but the end of the day, it's only a bandage, and doesn't solve problem.

if I was to chose one piece of decent equipment to buy, it's the reel, everything else dosnt matter. Not to say it's nice to have, coz I do like it, but have caught equally nice bass on less expensive equipment.

In my world🤪🤪🤪
I have fished an worked an danced an eaten with some clumsy humans😆

Some guys an girls have finesse an some don't😄 I try to take this onboard when talking in general about any subject which involves human mechanic's.

Now I am not saying being clumsy gives you wind knots,🤪 but it must be a factor with some. Some guys are just ham-fisted an just break things, perfectly goods things lol.

Mukiwa, I have seen your name and posts about for years now
an don't think your clumsy 😎.
Your one of the few that I would look to for advice concerning lure fishing👍
Just added the above to avoid any confusion.
Although the first time I seen you talk about Carolina rigs, I thought? Why is Mukiwa talking about Squatted hillbilly redneck pick-ups lol😁

@ Beach.
went to the Doctor's an said, I have excessive wind is there anything you can give me?
he handed me a kite🤪🤪🤪

Wind knots are the cause of something, what that something is? Probably only God knows lol or Doctor Mike Ladle.

If anyone is suffering wind knots? I hope you get it sorted soon, as it must detract from your fishing.

I'm away te get an Ulster fry now😁

Mark ..

Attachments

• IMG-20221202-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20221202-WA0000.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
In my world🤪🤪🤪
I have fishing an worked an danced an eaten with some clumsy humans😆

Some guys an girls have finesse an some don't😄 I try to take this onboard when talking in general about any subject which involves human mechanic's.

Now I am not saying being clumsy gives you wind knots,🤪 but it must be a factor with some. Some guys are just ham-fisted an just break things, perfectly goods things lol.

Mukiwa, I have seen your name and posts about for years now
an don't think your clumsy 😎.
Your one of the few that I would look to for advice concerning lure fishing👍
Just added the above to avoid any confusion.
Although the first time I seen you talk about Carolina rigs, I thought? Why is Mukiwa talking about Squatted hillbilly redneck pick-ups lol😁

@ Beach.
went to the Doctor's an said, I have excessive wind is there anything you can give me?
he handed me a kite🤪🤪🤪

Wind knots are the cause of something, what that something is? Probably only God knows lol or Doctor Mike Ladle.

If anyone is suffering wind knots? I hope you get it sorted soon, as it must detract from your fishing.

I'm away te get an Ulster fry now😁

Mark ..
Haha Carolina rigs, that's some thing from the past 😂

I only knew about large mouth bass then, and thought a bass is a bass🤦‍♂️

Oh , Thank you so much for the extremely kind comment.

Tight lines mate

Last edited:
Back