• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Worlds apart

bananas

Reaction score
Had couple of completely different trips this week, first one was with Dan from "Fishing around Budleigh" channel. He wanted a Gilt and I knew a spot to try using LRF gear, so a very early start and it wasn't long before he landed one which took the pressure off me straight away, I could only manage a small bass before I had to nip off home, but he went on to have another 6 plus some small bass as well.
We arranged to meet up at Brixham later at 10 and fish the rocks there. After a quick chat in the car park it was on to the fishing, after a few try's we found a spot that held a good few fish with Shannys, Tompots, Rock gobies and a Montagu's Blenny for Dan coming out, swapped tactics and targeted some wrasse, had a few corkwings and a Ballan. As there wasn't many wrasse showing here we decided to take a walk around to the breakwater and see if it was a bit better there.
After choosing a spot, I managed a hook a couple Ballans, one went off very well, stripping some line before I got him in the net, only around a pound mark but was great fun on the light gear, we was joined by Richard @Devon Lerfer and his mate Tom. They all had several of the other wrasse's out and a nice Tompot too. Great to watch these guys catch just using isome type lures.
I had to leave mid afternoon as was going out for a meal later, but had managed over 20 fish, several of them bending the rod tip right over and only using 4 ragworm too, still not gone fully plastic yet, a very enjoyable session despite the drizzle.

Next session was with the beach gear, after a quick few texts I arranged to meet up with @Tatunka joe at Chesil as both of us was going there it seemed a good idea to fish together, unfortunately when the morning came, Tats poor old van had died over night and had to be towed for repair, so was just me hitting the beach.
After the walk to the beginning of the stakes I was knackered (getting too old for these long walks) I decided to drop down the bank and fish there, there was only one other chap just along from me so we had the beach to our selves for a while.
Chesil always fills me with hope when I fish it, but this time she snatched that away, 7 1/2 hours and only 2 bites, that resulted in a very small black Bream and then not far off high water a nice Red Mullet. Baits was being stripped in less than 10 mins, I had tried different rigs, distances, rolling & fixed weights, nowt did the trick. Went though a pound a rag, Mackerel and a wrap a blacks for 2 fish, plus I only saw 2 other fish the whole trip come up along from where I was, least the sun came out to roast me on the walk back up the shingle and to the carpark.
Now that's two very different styles of fishing, both very enjoyable, tho one was a lot more enjoyable than the other, you can guess which one. And yes I will be going back to Chesil for another go, but the light gear is going to get a good bit of attention first.

Nice few seshes there Bob shame I chouldnt join you fecking van but you know next time chisel will fish her tits off that’s the way it goes up there

Another great report Bob! Sounds like a busy couple of days, shame Chisel didn't produce more for you. ????

Back