• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Worm Farm

Dutchman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Anyone had any success with a home made one?

At area near caravan i got a permit for some rivers/lakes.

Trouble is its all sand round where we are and worms are hard to come by, not like digging in your garden, so was looking at making a simple farm so then can just grab a few rather than look for them.

Can you use good old earth worms and then they breed nice and thick? or do they just breed small and thin ?

If you’re wanting lob worms, just get loads of leaf matter in a quiet cool place and put them on top of the soil, the worms will travel to them, especially if you add water regularly in sandy soil.
Should have said sandy area is due to being 100 yds from sea.

So will i still attract lob worm/earth worm at this location?

Lob worms are usually found virtually everywhere in U.K. soils, but maybe struggling that close, due to salinity more than anything.
:unsure: Right!
So in the farm (box) do the original worms i put in reproduce with each other?
Or does the farm just attract worms from the surrounding area?

What about a small maggot production instead? You can freeze any you don't use.

:unsure: Right!
So in the farm (box) do the original worms i put in reproduce with each other?
If you’re looking at a box for worms, they come in kits, complete with eggs/juveniles depending upon the supplier. But as another poster said, not lob worms. But still excellent bait for freshwater fishing.
Worm farms are excellent for disposing of virtually all food waste including meat, just avoid onion species and citrus as the worms avoid them.

If you’re looking at a box for worms, they come in kits, complete with eggs/juveniles depending upon the supplier. But as another poster said, not lob worms. But still excellent bait for freshwater fishing.
Worm farms are excellent for disposing of virtually all food waste including meat, just avoid onion species and citrus as the worms avoid them.
Thanks, but i am making my own, so just wanted to know the answer to;

So in the farm (box) do the original worms (good old garden earth worms) i put in reproduce with each other?

I Have a worm box, its just a large plastic container which you can pick up from Adsa , etc., about two feet square with a close fitting lid. It has shedloads of brandlings and gilt tails , they are randy buggers and breed like rabbits.

Drill a number of small holes in the bottom, then just a few around the sides.The worms need some air circulating.

Line the bottom with a couple of sheets of newspaper, right up to the walls, then give it a layer of about 4 inches, of good quality peat, garden soil is no good , it will just go hard . You do need however something like some clean fine sand , not much, just a scattering , because worms have no teeth and digest their food by grinding it up in their stomachs against bits of grit. Crushed eggshells work well as well.
Tear a newspaper into strips about an inch wide, then scatter it all over the surfaace of the peat , and cover with another 4 inches of peat, now sprinkle about a pint or so of water onto the peat ,not too much, it needs to feel like a sponge if you squish it in your hand, if it drips lots of water out then there is too much , now throw in your breeding stock.

You should be able to buy a big container of worms from your local tackle shop.

Finally throw a lot of vegetable peelings, banana skins, cabbage, apples, carrots, turnips peelings , just about any veggie bits ,tea bags are good as well, on top of the peat, put the lid on it and leave it.Top up the veggie peelings about every 3 or 4 weeks, they rot down and turn into food compost which the worms love

The worms reproduce and can double the numbers in about 2 months .

Dont try to keep Lobworms , they will just die, they need a different type of habitat.

Another thing to look out for is to make sure the lid fits quite well. I had a bit if a disaster a couple of months ago, a shrew got inside the box, and ate about 90 % of the worms, I found it dead on the surface it had literrally ate itself to death .

Good luck, you could call it Diddly Squat Farm .

Dave

Last edited:
Brandlings are fine, sewin and salmon love a bunch
Got some info on a bloke catching salmon near by, just have to interrogate my scource a little more to get exact location.
And then its a mixture of worm bait or my small river rod loaded with fly line (if it works) and a nice fly.

Got some info on a bloke catching salmon near by, just have to interrogate my scource a little more to get exact location.
And then its a mixture of worm bait or my small river rod loaded with fly line (if it works) and a nice fly.
I'd have more faith in worm myself, especially after a bit of rain.

Thanks, but i am making my own, so just wanted to know the answer to;

So in the farm (box) do the original worms (good old garden earth worms) i put in reproduce with each other?
If you are hoping to attract worms you are looking at a compost heap/compost bin.

A worm farm will be brandlings or dendrobeona. I used to have one in my shed at my old house made out of four stacking tubs and some weld mesh.
Feed them with kitchen waste and newspaper/cardboard.
We've got a nearly full plastic compost bin and there was always loads of worms, small flies & a few slugs in there. Opened the lid one day and there was a big old Slow worm sat on the top. Can't believe he managed to get in the bottom and work his way up though. Only saw him once afterwards, and hardly seen any worms or flies since.

We've got a nearly full plastic compost bin and there was always loads of worms, small flies & a few slugs in there. Opened the lid one day and there was a big old Slow worm sat on the top. Can't believe he managed to get in the bottom and work his way up though. Only saw him once afterwards, and hardly seen any worms or flies since.
He's virtually on the beach though so I don't how many you are going to attract. Might take a while to get started

Back