• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Worm Farm

I ended up with an absolutely massive ants nest in my compost bin. 😟
Me too, i had two round containers about 6ft wide i used as a fish pond, i cut them down to about 2ft and used to fill with grass cuttings and all and put loose lid on top.
One year i went to dig it up to use around flowers save buying bags of compost, stuff looked great until i shovelled it, there were thousands of ants in it.
Still got them full next door so when i need the worms, i will dig in there and see what's there.

Has the caravan parks maintenance team not got an area where they have been disposing of grass or leaves for years, get your fork out and have a dig in the moist decomposed areas of that, should be loads of worms.

Has the caravan parks maintenance team not got an area where they have been disposing of grass or leaves for years, get your fork out and have a dig in the moist decomposed areas of that, should be loads of worms.
Good idea (y) (y)

Even where we are we are cutting nearly half an acre of grass in front of the caravan where i am and around the house, i will have a look where its dumped, also got all the sites around as well.

Well last week filled tub with shreaded cardboard on bottom and than dug compost from grass cuttings and a bit of sand put some veg cuttings on top and covered with card and top, and put some worms in.
Looked today and nothing seems to have been eaten and no sign of worms.
So has a quick shufty and came across a couple of thin ones but not looking good.

Well last week filled tub with shreaded cardboard on bottom and than dug compost from grass cuttings and a bit of sand put some veg cuttings on top and covered with card and top, and put some worms in.
So has a quick shufty and came across a couple of thin ones but not looking good.
It’s going to take a while.. possibly as things start to decompose the results will improve.

You need a good head of wurrums to start with, and it will take at least a month for them to get randy with each other then it takes about another month to 6 weeks to see the results, tiny little wurrums which will grow and procreate again.

Dave

Anyone had any success with a home made one?

At area near caravan i got a permit for some rivers/lakes.

Trouble is its all sand round where we are and worms are hard to come by, not like digging in your garden, so was looking at making a simple farm so then can just grab a few rather than look for them.

Can you use good old earth worms and then they breed nice and thick? or do they just breed small and thin ?
Is there not a farm near you where you can get some from a manure heap? I am sure the farmer will give you permission.

You need a good head of wurrums to start with, and it will take at least a month for them to get randy with each other then it takes about another month to 6 weeks to see the results, tiny little wurrums which will grow and procreate again.

Dave
Thanks.

Bugger me, will have to go and find some more to fill it up and others to go fishing with.

Back