• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Wots yer biggest cod ??

Good luck.
Not had a UK shore caught cod for 6 seasons now? used to catch 100+ in the mid 2000's
Even struggling on the boat the past 6 seasons.
They have just disappeared ??
Had my best ever Cod sesh on Dungy - can’t remember the exact year, maybe mid 90s. Was same winter after squiddy??? ( think he was called on the other site) was on cover of one o the fishing mags with a load laid up on the beach. Arrived not long after
Midnight and was into fish from the off all the tide down. Averaged 6 or 7 lb.

Just over 14lb from the beach at Browndown, about 30 odd years ago, mainly single figures ever since.

Ian.

1978 2 A.M. in the morning Dungeness by the cranes low tide I helped my mate beach a cod 28lbs a true pig.
We never got a picture of it unfortunately. that was when you were more or less guaranteed to catch cod November or December.
One advantage of being an old git ( remember the 66 world cup final too)

Never actually weighed as was the Clyde in the 1960`s and 10lb cod was not worth a mention. Probably 18lb shore and around 25lb boat, as said above, not really worth a mention when 20`s and 30`s from Gantocks, Rhu Narrows, Loch Long etc were ten a penny.

I can remember one night about 40 years ago, along Browndown, myself and a very good fishing buddy, sadly no longer with us were having a Cod session, it was blowing a hoolie, and persisting down, fishing with whole Squid, managing to lob it out about 60 yds if you were lucky. In the hour we fished we had about a dozen or so small Cod/Codling between us, biggest about the 5lb mark, sadly those days are long gone, but my god, it was great. Oh the memories.

Ian.

boat 19
shore 14

can genuinley say ive lost bigger and better, and thats after getting a good view of em
had a good high 20-low 30s taken by a seal off whitby, the bit left was was 14lb!!
lost a cod on the humber wall 3 yrs ago, that i managed to get to the concrete apron, and couldnt do nothing with it, as it was marching up n down the apron, side to side in 5 ft of water.
even a passing angler in chesties who hopped over the wall could do a thing with it whilst trying to handline it back
saw the fish twice on the surface, and it was a good 20+
witnessed by 3 other people
could have cried

Last edited:
What is a Cod? ?? Never caught one, and probably never will now I'm getting old, fat, and frail.

18lb from king alfred (hove) their still around at certain times of the year when they should not be like other season areas

Attachments

• 68F61457-BDB1-49EA-AF78-4D9C0F9DEACB.jpeg
    68F61457-BDB1-49EA-AF78-4D9C0F9DEACB.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Nudging over ten pounds on boat six pound shore,das mate caught a twenty nine,mates boy caught a thirty six. Gone like the decent pollack!!! Wreck netting has feked it,also fast angling boats all fishing the marks have really pressurized what would have been "our" local inshore marks!!!

Back