• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Wots yer biggest cod ??

On a good year, maybe 20 cod between 8-10lb from the bristol channel. Most years at least 5 x 8-10lb cod. Suppose biggest bc cod around 11lb (not weighed, as back in the day no one I knew had scales ?). last good bristol channel cod was 4 years ago now, had one 4lb8oz sole fishing last year in July, but cod over 3lb are a rarity from the shore here now. Have lost a couple of real beasts when fishing on my own unable to get fish out of the backwash. Especially on chesil! Had a few chesil doubles, tonnes of 8s and 9s but this is my best, totally out of condition, the head was 8lb, total weight 12lb 10oz......

Attachments

• IMG_20180923_140201.jpg
    IMG_20180923_140201.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
On a good year, maybe 20 cod between 8-10lb from the bristol channel. Most years at least 5 x 8-10lb cod. Suppose biggest bc cod around 11lb (not weighed, as back in the day no one I knew had scales ?). last good bristol channel cod was 4 years ago now, had one 4lb8oz sole fishing last year in July, but cod over 3lb are a rarity from the shore here now. Have lost a couple of real beasts when fishing on my own unable to get fish out of the backwash. Especially on chesil! Had a few chesil doubles, tonnes of 8s and 9s but this is my best, totally out of condition, the head was 8lb, total weight 12lb 10oz......
Cracking cod that, I keep casting my mind towards autumn and winter for the shore codling, but no matter how much I try, I can’t think of a mark near me that will produce them with any regularity. There’s a few that may chuck up one or two in the right conditions, but it’s not as it was. I’m not too far from dungeoness, but I hear that’s a shadow of its former self, not been there for years now.

So after that 59 lb beast was snagged be interesting to hear wots the biggest cod you had beach or boat this country pics welcome mines only 7 lb on a stormy night on chisel can’t find a pic ?but not really worth seeing be good to see your pigs tho ?
Jan last year on chesil with chesilpete
Just under 8lbs

Attachments

• 19893C51-8043-4C1A-8F3C-ECCDD1BD30A2.jpeg
    19893C51-8043-4C1A-8F3C-ECCDD1BD30A2.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 6
Whoops
My bad caught jan 2020 !!
Love all the other posts wished I fished
when dungy/Sussex /chesil was aplenty
with cod least a lot of you guys experienced good times
So sad that depleting cod stocks seem to be the norm now
Norway is in my bucket list !!

Whoops
My bad caught jan 2020 !!
Love all the other posts wished I fished
when dungy/Sussex /chesil was aplenty
with cod least a lot of you guys experienced good times
So sad that depleting cod stocks seem to be the norm now
Norway is in my bucket list !!
Norway is awesome, just aim for realistic results and it will be a blast.
It's not going to be a double every cast and it is possible to blank.

Is a great place for a 1st trip.

boat-0, i'm rarely afloat
beach 7lb , chesil, deep end
beach 6lb chesil shallow end.
most often small stuff sub 4lb, solent codling worth double points in my book:D

1628830564112.png
1628830730972.png

boat 19
shore 14

can genuinley say ive lost bigger and better, and thats after getting a good view of em
had a good high 20-low 30s taken by a seal off whitby, the bit left was was 14lb!!
lost a cod on the humber wall 3 yrs ago, that i managed to get to the concrete apron, and couldnt do nothing with it, as it was marching up n down the apron, side to side in 5 ft of water.
even a passing angler in chesties who hopped over the wall could do a thing with it whilst trying to handline it back
saw the fish twice on the surface, and it was a good 20+
witnessed by 3 other people
could have cried
I had a massive cod on one night at river side key on the humber docks. The trouble was i was by my self and no drop net and 40foot down to the water , i could see the fish below but all i could do is try to hand ball it up . The hook straightened and away went my prize :( . I rigged up again and had a 6/0 stainless steel O'Shaughnessy hook in my rig wallet so i was up for round two :).In the next 5 mins i had 2 cod one 6lb and one 7lb and i hand balled them up :p(y). 2Mins later a copper came up to me and asked me for my pass which i didnt know you :( needed one so that was it off the dock i went:((n). What that big cod weighed i,ll never know but i reckon it was well over 20lb ??.

Cast? No casting involved for us lol.

Mind you, one day I would like to do a shore trip there, but not too keen on going in winter!

Thanks for the info, it will happen sometime soon
Bring on the tings = cod ha !!!

Back