• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Wrasseing in the sun

bananas

Reaction score
Popped over Torquay this morning in the hope of bagging a few Wrasse, the sun was out, no wind and a light chop on the water when I started. It took a few drops before hooking the first one, a Goldsinny, this was quickly followed by a small Ballan and then a Corkwing all from the same hole, thats the 3 targets sorted quickly. Tried a couple of different spots, a few small Pollock and Pouting was hiding here, then it was back on the Wrasse.
An hour after high tide I swapped the dropshot for a jig head to see if that would attract another species, but no, just more of the same wrasse. I move along the steps a bit further and plopped the jig down, it didn't hit the bottom, it just started to move off, pulled in to it and it just took line!!, got some line back on the reel and off he went again, he done this a couple more times before I got him to the surface, looking down on this very large Ballan I expressed the words "oh feck how am I going to get that out", didn't have my landing net so hand lining was the only option, I started to lift, as his head came out the water, ping the 5lb line said no! and off he swam, "oh dear" I uttered, note to self, take landing net at all times.
Packed up after that as the wind had picked up a bit plus me stomach was rumbling for lunch, not bad morning, 20 plus fish out in a couple hours and the Wrasse account open.

Always good getting the target species well done,and a variety of others as well..

Bugger about the dropped fish. We've all been there but if anything it fires you up to try again. Good luck next time :)

Back