• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast You left your sarnies in the porch!

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Great run over to Weymouth. clear roads, the traffic lights were in my favour, as were the roundabouts. The car park was £6 all day and nearly empty. Parked up and read the message. Bugger!

I was fishing the Stone Pier side and most of the shops are the town side. Decided I would tough it out till lunchtime, walk back from the end of the stone pier, have fish and chips and then walk back. Lovely day after the big blow and wet weather. Could be worse. Haddock turned up and told me where the little Londis shop was on the way to the pier. So no chips for me. Stocked up and off down the pier.
20221220_113922.jpg
The pier was empty, the sun was out and the wind was not cold. Main target was a gar, as for some reason I have not had one this year. Also a leopard spotted goby and maybe later a common eel in the harbour.

Sent out a float with basically a 2 up,1 running ledger down rig 1oz weight. Bait was strips of gar and out it went on a light beachcaster rod to drift out into " the zone" where we have had plenty before. There was a bit of a swell and the water was coloured with likely lots of freshwater run off in the harbour entrance.

I dropped one of my species rigs down the side or just flicked it out 10ft or so. Size 6 hooks with old or new rag to see what was down there. Haddock has a similar set up as I had tied a load of rigs up for him using hooks and clips he gave me.

First in was one of my favourites a character full tompot blenny.
20221221_195109.jpg
Followed by a Corkwing wrasse.
20221221_195152.jpg
Haddocks float did the business and caught one of those summer mackerel. You know the ones you get in December! Bit different Brixham way I know, but this way it causes as stir when we have them in December and January.
20221221_195237.jpg
He followed that with double shots of whiting.
20221220_112228.jpg
Ballan wrasse up next and more pretty corkwings.
20221221_195511.jpg
20221221_195645.jpg
Haddock had my favourite mini, a scorpion fish.
20221220_115302.jpg
We were catching ok, but it was not as frantic as it can be there on a good day and no sign of a leopard spotted.

Shoals of pouting and pollack came through. Then Haddock shouts you can start swearing at me if you like, as he lifted my target fish, a gar onto the pier. I kept my dignity and only used a light smattering of expletives! He gave me it for bait and it is currently in my freezer to be used later.
20221221_195953.jpg
Then a very different bite and the strap congers started. Quite fun on a 9ft spinning rod and very nicely marked, but a pain all the same. Its now nearing 4 and the light is going and its starting to chill off a bit.
20221221_203156.jpg
In total we had 11 species of fish, but nothing new for either of us. We were joined by Lee Jackson who had 4 new species for his hunt. He is doing the winter LRF league. It was a good day in the sun and warm considering how its been of late. Left the pier as it got dark as I was going to my mates in the evening for a very messy shots night!

I have equalled my hunt best and just need one to beat it and make it 40. Not too bothered though, there is always next year.

Tompot blenny.
Corkwing wrasse.
Ballan wrasse.
Mackerel.
Whiting.
Pout.
Pollack.
Gar fish.
Scorpion fish.
Rock goby.
Strap conger.

Last edited:
Great run over to Weymouth. clear roads, the traffic lights were in my favour, as were the roundabouts. The car park was £6 all day and nearly empty. Parked up and read the message. Bugger!

I was fishing the Stone Pier side and most of the shops are the town side. Decided I would tough it out till lunchtime, walk back from the end of the stone pier, have fish and chips and then walk back. Lovely day after the big blow and wet weather. Could be worse. Haddock turned up and told me where the little Londis shop was on the way to the pier. So no chips for me. Stocked up and off down the pier.
View attachment 37258
The pier was empty, the sun was out and the wind was not cold. Main target was a gar, as for some reason I have not had one this year. Also a leopard spotted goby and maybe later a common eel in the harbour.

Sent out a float with basically a 2 up,1 running ledger down rig 1oz weight. Bait was strips of gar and out it went on a light beachcaster rod to drift out into " the zone" where we have had plenty before. There was a bit of a swell and the water was coloured with likely lots of freshwater run off in the harbour entrance.

I dropped one of my species rigs down the side or just flicked it out 10ft or so. Size 6 hooks with old or new rag to see what was down there. Haddock has a similar set up as I had tied a load of rigs up for him using hooks and clips he gave me.

View attachment 37259
View attachment 37260
Haddocks float did the business and caught one of those summer mackerel. You know the ones you get in December! Bit different Brixham way I know, but this way it causes as stir when we have them in December and January.
View attachment 37261
View attachment 37266
View attachment 37263
View attachment 37262
View attachment 37264
We were catching ok, but it was not as frantic as it can be there on a good day and no sign of a leopard spotted.

Shoals of pouting and pollack came through. Then Haddock shouts you can start swearing at me if you like, as he lifted my target fish, a gar onto the pier. I kept my dignity and only used a light smattering of expletives! He gave me it for bait and it is currently in my freezer to be used later.
View attachment 37265
Then a very different bite and the strap congers started. Quite fun on a 9ft spinning rod and very nicely marked, but a pain all the same. Its now nearing 4 and the light is going and its starting to chill off a bit.
View attachment 37267
In total we had 11 species of fish, but nothing new for either of us. We were joined by Lee Jackson who had 4 new species for his hunt. He is doing the winter LRF league. It was a good day in the sun and warm considering how its been of late. Left the pier as it got dark as I was going to my mates in the evening for a very messy shots night!

I have equalled my hunt best and just need one to beat it and make it 40. Not too bothered though, there is always next year.

Tompot blenny.
Corkwing wrasse.
Ballan wrasse.
Mackerel.
Whiting.
Pout.
Pollack.
Gar fish.
Scorpion fish.
Rock goby.
Strap conger.
Sounds like a great day much better then the day we had on the 1st of December, plenty of fish for you guys , ideal

Well done, cracking report and a good mix of fish considering it's been slow lately from what reports I've seen.
With a bit of luck I'm sure you can get to 40 👍
Si

Fabulous report & photos Goatee! Great mix of species too. 🎣🎣👍👍

That 3rd photo of the Corkwing made me chuckle! He seems to be giving ya the direct eye, as if to say "What the feck do ya think you're doing?" 😂😂

View attachment 37258

View attachment 37259
View attachment 37260
View attachment 37261
View attachment 37266
View attachment 37263
View attachment 37262
View attachment 37264

View attachment 37265
View attachment 37267

Tompot blenny.
Corkwing wrasse.
Ballan wrasse.
Mackerel.
Whiting.
Pout.
Pollack.
Gar fish.
Scorpion fish.
Rock goby.
Strap conger.
Well done a great bit of sport. Looks like i will have to go pier fishing this year if i want some whiting, i have had 2 trips in the boat to the banks east of Weymouth this year and not a single whiting.
have a good xmas
Espadon

Sounds like a great day much better then the day we had on the 1st of December, plenty of fish for you guys , ideal
As we say John, every day is different. We did ok. I was fishing with @DJDBazzer there once and his non fishing mate came. He said he did not know there were so many fish in the sea. Bazzer did a countdown from me dropping the bait down and by 10, I had pulled up a double shot of wrasse. Next day it might be much slower. Good spot though.

Well done, cracking report and a good mix of fish considering it's been slow lately from what reports I've seen.
With a bit of luck I'm sure you can get to 40 👍
Si
Cheers Si. Was fishing tomorrow, but big winds have put paid to that!

Fabulous report & photos Goatee! Great mix of species too. 🎣🎣👍👍

That 3rd photo of the Corkwing made me chuckle! He seems to be giving ya the direct eye, as if to say "What the feck do ya think you're doing?" 😂😂
Thanks, appreciate it. I thought the same about the wrasse.

Well done a great bit of sport. Looks like i will have to go pier fishing this year if i want some whiting, i have had 2 trips in the boat to the banks east of Weymouth this year and not a single whiting.
have a good xmas
Espadon
Cheers it was busy enough. I fished my first comp at Boscombe Pier a few weeks ago and measured in 14 whiting. I was not in the placings so others had many more. They were all on the East side of the pier. Best bait was half a squid head.

Back