• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Young uns

Redneck Dek

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
After a rant on another thread my ‘mangry’(he’s 14) godson and short bus (crackin lad )brother have said all they want to do is go fishing with Uncle dek.
Bloody humbled and going to sign them up at the club.
Question is what set ups do I get for them?rod and reel wise mostly for on the pier?

We use the Shakespeare salt bass rods and reels with the daa juniors.
Maybe an uptide rod would cope better on a pier.

You should be able to buy a cheap set up at local tackle (or on line shop) shop if you not got anything suitable.
Don't get nothing too long for them though.

a friend got ron thompsan for 25 quid new and a cheap 20 quid reel for his son and his pal to use and they got on with it great and he's even used it a few times now to bash around on rocks etc instead of good gear and said its fine .

not that you said u wanted cheap but usually makes sense when your not sure if they'll get much use or dropped etc lol ..

I seem to remember a lot of Rod companies doing specific pier rods but you don't seem to see them these days. Have a search on your local Gumtree or on eBay with a distance restriction Dek - something of quality but 2nd hand may turn up.

Some one down here has got 2 Quantum 10ft spinning rods with baitcaster F/S reels - as new, £25 each. I picked up an interesting 2nd hand 'as new' rod last year for £15 - it's a 'Heron' carbon convertible Pier/Boat rod, 3ft butt section, 6ft top section for Pier & 3ft top section for boat use. There are bargains to be had, and for starter kit, it doesn't have to be new! ??

I started my kids off when they were 6 & 8 with 8ft 1-3oz rods and a coffee grinder reel (Mitchel) I think. they caught pout and flatties off the east arm at Newhaven and were well pleased.

if he's only 14 try get something slim in the handle easier to get along with if it's only for light work can't go past a bass or flattie rod casting about 4oz take a look at the Shakespeare Agility or Penn squadron ll bass. if he's a big lad and you wanting something more full blooded beach rod Sonik vader xs isn't to bad they do a matching reel too other reels worth a look at for the bass rods 5000 or 6000 size Penn Wrath & diawa crossfire LT​

really all depends on what sort of money you want to spend​

That’s about the range I’ve been looking at,I’ve plenty bigger rods as he gets older and better?

if he's only 14 try get something slim in the handle easier to get along with if it's only for light work can't go past a bass or flattie rod casting about 4oz take a look at the Shakespeare Agility or Penn squadron ll bass. if he's a big lad and you wanting something more full blooded beach rod Sonik vader xs isn't to bad they do a matching reel too other reels worth a look at for the bass rods 5000 or 6000 size Penn Wrath & diawa crossfire LT​

really all depends on what sort of money you want to spend​

What is with the large and bold fonts. Is your eyesight going or are you using windows?

Maybe win dings next and confuse everyone. ;)

Maybe win dings next and confuse everyone. ;)
Hahaha! Me and a mate used to send each other emails like that so as nobody else could read them unless they knew which font it was! ??

Back