• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Zero zilch nada

Phis

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Well, I had a couple of hours, nothing, not a bite between us. I gave up just after high my mate fished on for another hour to no avail he did send me a picture of a dead seal 10 yards from where we park the cars and he spoke to the guy who is monitoring the beach for avian flue they picked up 5 cormorants and a razorbill the other day and there was a dead porpoise on the beach last week.🤔
IMG-20230125-WA0000.jpg20230125_143613.jpg

fished till 6.30 this morning. 2 tiny whiting and a starfish. nowt to take home. what my misses calls 'inging', (no fish)

A wee trip to Rhue Lighthouse.24 September. My mate caught 13 + wee pollack/colefish on a feather and toby combo. Two pollack to 1.5 lb. I got a 1.5lb pollack to float-fished mackerel strip second cast. Then nothing for me for two hours :( . Rising tide. It's the way it goes at Rhue. Stunning day though.

A wee trip to Rhue Lighthouse.24 September. My mate caught 13 + wee pollack/colefish on a feather and toby combo. Two pollack to 1.5 lb. I got a 1.5lb pollack to float-fished mackerel strip second cast. Then nothing for me for two hours :( . Rising tide. It's the way it goes at Rhue. Stunning day though.
I am glad somebody else north of the border is getting out. The board was going a bit stale.

I was planning a wee trip to Loch Carron next Wed 29th but the weather is looking decidedly "cool". We will probably do a reccy & take LRF kit on the off-chance. Does anyone else have experience of Loch Carron at this time of year? I only work Mon ,Tue & Wed now so hoping to expand my horizons. USB chargeable hand warmers- brilliant.

So, finally made the trip to reccy Strome Ferry las Sunday. NB minus 7 degrees C all the way from the Black Isle. Screenwash did not kick in until one hour after reaching Strome Ferry. Disappointed to find the Heras fence totally in tact and padlocked. Could not access the wharf area. The slipway was indeed a slipway in the ice. Not much chance of parking near the Avalanche shelter due to fallen rocks. Not happy to cross the railway either. Will have a look at the opposite side - Strome Castle but can't see much parking from Google Earth.
I was going to a have a cast at Chanonry Point but so many dying cormorants and juvenile razorbills makes me nervous of bird flu in the area. The recent storms threw tons of kelp and wrack over the roads mixed with the corpses of dead seabirds.
OK, the upbeat bit. The trip back from Loch Carron gave us a chance to try the Midge Bite Cafe in Achnasheen. Very good nosebag and really top quality coffee. A wee bit steep in price but, occasionally, it will not damage the pocket. A welcome break in fact.
My festive wish for you......I hope you all find the mark of your lives ( and don't tell anyone- especially me ;) )

So, finally made the trip to reccy Strome Ferry las Sunday. NB minus 7 degrees C all the way from the Black Isle. Screenwash did not kick in until one hour after reaching Strome Ferry. Disappointed to find the Heras fence totally in tact and padlocked. Could not access the wharf area. The slipway was indeed a slipway in the ice. Not much chance of parking near the Avalanche shelter due to fallen rocks. Not happy to cross the railway either. Will have a look at the opposite side - Strome Castle but can't see much parking from Google Earth.
I was going to a have a cast at Chanonry Point but so many dying cormorants and juvenile razorbills makes me nervous of bird flu in the area. The recent storms threw tons of kelp and wrack over the roads mixed with the corpses of dead seabirds.
OK, the upbeat bit. The trip back from Loch Carron gave us a chance to try the Midge Bite Cafe in Achnasheen. Very good nosebag and really top quality coffee. A wee bit steep in price but, occasionally, it will not damage the pocket. A welcome break in fact.
My festive wish for you......I hope you all find the mark of your lives ( and don't tell anyone- especially me ;) )
Sounds rough what with bird die off etc. Glad you found a snugg, will remember that one. T.L.

17th March & 4th April trips to Rhue Lighthouse. No seabirds apart from a couple of cormorants. One seal. No fish either. Tried mack strips , assorted lures. Absolutely nothing. Tried different depths etc. Not a touch :(
Maybe too cold yet. I dropped little bits of mackerel close into the rocks but not even small stuff showing.
Hoping to have a crack at Tarbat Ness next weekend if the weather is favourable.

17th March & 4th April trips to Rhue Lighthouse. No seabirds apart from a couple of cormorants. One seal. No fish either. Tried mack strips , assorted lures. Absolutely nothing. Tried different depths etc. Not a touch :(
Maybe too cold yet. I dropped little bits of mackerel close into the rocks but not even small stuff showing.
Hoping to have a crack at Tarbat Ness next weekend if the weather is favourable.
Crackin wrasse fishing at Tarbet Ness👍
Plenty of pollack too
Great digging for worms near there

A bit dodgy at Tarbat. The ledge I usually stand on was getting a good dose of waves which were quite capable of washing and old twat like me away to Norway. Trip abandoned. Home for some warmth and a bottle of Merlot and sit and watch the rain battering the windows.

A bit dodgy at Tarbat. The ledge I usually stand on was getting a good dose of waves which were quite capable of washing and old twat like me away to Norway. Trip abandoned. Home for some warmth and a bottle of Merlot and sit and watch the rain battering the windows.
Meikle ferry over the bridge allus chucks a few out when it’s windy👍

Been over that bridge a fair few times, often wondered about the fishing and underfoot conditions ie quicksands etc, in fact can you fish there due to the protected area legislation?

Back