• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Zziplex GB3

Graeme1984

Reaction score
Have just taken possession of this older rod, bought second hand but in (what I’m presuming is) it’s factory build, in lovely condition bar a few mackerel scales!
Thought it might be useful for rough ground/cliff fishing, seems really pokey and a bit unwieldy at 15’4. Definitely a low reel job to balance it out I think.
Does anyone have any knowledge of these, or have you got/used one. Was told there was only a fairly limited run made, other than that can’t find much information at all online. Cheers!

IMG_7501.jpeg
IMG_7502.jpeg

Quite a rare model. A long time since I had a cast with one (and the Lite model) They always seem to make good money and like all things TC they have a 'cult'/ collectors following. Far more likely it was sent to a builder than a true 'factory build' as they were in the business of blank making.

Its a Backcaster , or at least the one I used was being used for that purpose, a bit of a beast and not really suited to light beach fishing, but if you are chasing cod in winter and want to chuck out big baits on big weights it will do the trick.
Hope you have big arms. 🤣🤣🤣

Dave

I’m hoping to use it with fixed spool and braid, did consider a switch to k guides as the existing rings are fairly small, starting with a 30 bnhg but will see how it goes before messing about with a rebuild. Would like to keep it original ideally.

Last edited:
I seem to remember an article in Sea Angler that the heavy version was designed for some of the England casting team who were fishing for large red drum and huge rays in Texas.

As had been stated, the light version was highly sort after at one time.

Back