• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

79lb braid on an 8000 fixed spool

Rock n' Surf

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hello to anyone seeing this - I am new here.
Question please - and as ever on internet forums, this may have been discussed in various threads, although I have been looking for some guidance for a few days now : I have fished with multipliers on my beach/shore/rock setups my whole life spooled with mono (I am old enough for braid to have come along when I was already set in my ways) although I do use braid on my spinning/lure setups which I spool up with 135/150m of J-Braid or J-Braid Grand.
Recently bought a Penn Battle II 8000 as my first venture into FS on one of my beach rods and am planning to spool with 79lb braid straight through - how much braid are you loading on yours?
I would assume at least the 270m/300m spools but perhaps even more to allow for a few losses before having to respool?
Also worried about the knot joining the braid to any backing becoming an issue if not spooled enough to bury this deep enough to endure a few breaks/losses?
And any comments regarding braid on a muliplier (I use SLOSH 20/30/50's) including general opinion as well as amount spooled, which I assume would be the same conceptually as the above 8000 FS question?
Thank you for any answers and guidance - time and money that is wasted experimenting are the reasons I am asking for a few opinions that I can step into :)

I use 50lb braid straight through , you will struggle to snap 79lb braid if you become snagged , I use the improved Albright knot to attach braid to backing , it’s good enough for my lure rod so it’s certainly good enough for beach reels , 300mt is plenty I don’t know anyone who can cast over 200mt

The only way is to put the braid on a empty spool and see where the level comes to , then if it comes up to no where you want it is to put some backing on so you get the required level You have then got to switch it around so the backing is on the bottom by having another reel with two empty spools , i would join the line with two 4 turn uni knots . One thing to keep in mind is the more expense braids are thinner in that breaking strain..

Cheers for that - I do have spare spools (and reels) so reversing the braid>backing ... backing>braid is how I currently spool all my spinning reels.
I will go with the 270m/300m as per John's advice - to be clear though, I am not worried about having insufficient for casting purposes - what I was thinking was on my lure/spinning reels, it is not that big a problem if you lost a bit of braid here and there as with a 135/150m load there is plenty to play with and still be fine flicking a lure what is often probably 30 metres or so ... whereas if you were to snap off from abrasion or whatever and lose a fair amount of a long cast off the beach and as a silly example, have say 180-200m left, it may be more of a 'problem' for your subsequent big casts, so I thought perhaps some load as much as they can as such.
Probably over thinking it though to be fair - thanks for the advice :)

Hello to anyone seeing this - I am new here.
Question please - and as ever on internet forums, this may have been discussed in various threads, although I have been looking for some guidance for a few days now : I have fished with multipliers on my beach/shore/rock setups my whole life spooled with mono (I am old enough for braid to have come along when I was already set in my ways) although I do use braid on my spinning/lure setups which I spool up with 135/150m of J-Braid or J-Braid Grand.
Recently bought a Penn Battle II 8000 as my first venture into FS on one of my beach rods and am planning to spool with 79lb braid straight through - how much braid are you loading on yours?
I would assume at least the 270m/300m spools but perhaps even more to allow for a few losses before having to respool?
Also worried about the knot joining the braid to any backing becoming an issue if not spooled enough to bury this deep enough to endure a few breaks/losses?
And any comments regarding braid on a muliplier (I use SLOSH 20/30/50's) including general opinion as well as amount spooled, which I assume would be the same conceptually as the above 8000 FS question?
Thank you for any answers and guidance - time and money that is wasted experimenting are the reasons I am asking for a few opinions that I can step into :)
Myself would go with J braid Grand in around .22 plenty strong enough and still able to handle nicks and abrasion and use a Braid leader. ive powerpro 100lb on fs and 4 strand ebay specials in 100lb on multi's on mono
Casts well and cuts through tide you can go lighter on main but if over anything "Snaggy" like Oyster beds can suffer damage and the leader handles sea bed abrasion while it's fishing as end where is on rig suffers as dragged back so either chop end of and retye or replace leader.
Also braid has more tide resistance than mono as mono smoother as one piece braid is woven.
Lighter braid will cast further and fish better and only time i go heavy braid is one on one over/into structure/Walls/piers so above fish.
As been said wind onto spare spool top up with backing! then wind on to main spool so spot on.

Did my Aero Techs other week doing that method then when winding on to main spool once got backing on measured Diameter with Digital Vernier Gauge then wound braid on then next spool had some .30 on chopped that back till had right diameter loaded braid on top spot on and now know how much backing need on spools. Aero 1200 around 66mm for 300m of .21/23

It will be a bastard if you get snagged!!!!!!!!
The idea of using heaver line like 80lb braid would be some thing on the rig breaks first like in rough ground fishing , using a rotten bottom for the lead, a weaker hook length or a hook that bends out . Last time i went out i got stuck and i was using .23mm braid and took a lot of breaking , i wrapped the line round my leather casting glove but i do agree heaver braid with out a weak link would be a bas**** to break.

Last edited:
The idea of using heaver line like 80lb braid would be some thing on the rig breaks first like in rough ground fishing , using a rotten bottom with a weaker hook length or a hook that bends out . Last time i went out i got stuck and i was using .23mm braid and took a lot of breaking , i wrapped the line round my leather casting glove but i do agree heaver braid with out a weak link would be a bas**** to break.
Agh I see what you mean

Thanks again for all the comments and advice - really helpful and the suggestion to use a vernier to measure backing is a real gem!

I have 5 x spinning/lure reels from 1000 to 4000 in size, each with a spare spool (two spare spools for my main bassing reels) and have been counting the number of turns of the handle and keeping notes of that so as to have a benchmark and although a few turns here and there is not an issue, it is a clunky method as counting goes all over the place, especially when the good wife is chatting to you at the same time … vernier will make the potential use of different diameter backing a cinch.

On the suggestions to go a bit thinner on my 79lb initial thought, I will certainly look at the 43-58lb (0.22 - 0.28) with a braid leader as an option … I have 2 x spare spools for my 8000, so might be an idea to do one of each … even though the experimenting (time and money) can be frustrating, all three options of 79lb, 58lb and 43/49lb would be useable in their own rights and I could probably then find my own preference between them.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice - really helpful and the suggestion to use a vernier to measure backing is a real gem!

I have 5 x spinning/lure reels from 1000 to 4000 in size, each with a spare spool (two spare spools for my main bassing reels) and have been counting the number of turns of the handle and keeping notes of that so as to have a benchmark and although a few turns here and there is not an issue, it is a clunky method as counting goes all over the place, especially when the good wife is chatting to you at the same time … vernier will make the potential use of different diameter backing a cinch.

On the suggestions to go a bit thinner on my 79lb initial thought, I will certainly look at the 43-58lb (0.22 - 0.28) with a braid leader as an option … I have 2 x spare spools for my 8000, so might be an idea to do one of each … even though the experimenting (time and money) can be frustrating, all three options of 79lb, 58lb and 43/49lb would be useable in their own rights and I could probably then find my own preference between them.
What ground are you fishing , how far do you need to cast , whats your target fish and are you using bait on the bottom. I,m sorry for all the questions but that information would help alot

I have not quite settled what I am going to use.

I started by putting 66lb powerpro on my shimano straight through and it fished fine.

Since then I have bought a couple of Okuma 8k surfs and have 30lb 8 strand chinese braid with a 80lb or 100lb 4 strand shock leader again chinese braid.
Not fished anywhere particularly rough yet.

Great advice above but it can become too complicated for no reason ..
. 79lbs braid is really heavy stuff..but you may find it's fine for you . Just a bit overkill but if it's what youve got then get it out there and experiment.

@jackjock - I fish all sorts of ground when fishing with bait from clean to rough and often from rock marks.
To be honest, not really ever been bothered with the ‘point proving’ casting further than the bloke next to me as I try to put my bait where I think the fish are and very often that is closer as everyone should know … but I fish the same way I do with lures and work the venue (if I can put it that way) varying distance, angles and baits.
Bass and cod my preferred targets if I were to be specific - fish bottom and live baits.

@Thrasher - yes, Daiwa J-Braid Grand in 79lb but am going to load one of my spools with 58lb and feel my way to a preference.

I understand the notion to not bother with the ‘tackle tarting’ over things like this, but had my fair share over very many years of tying and/or re-tying knots with fingers on fire in stupidly cold temperatures and with miserable winds and rain smeared glasses and the bottom line for me to even venture into this heavier braid option is purely having read/heard of those that bypass the need for shockleaders and potentially pull out of snags by straightening a hook or snapping a rotten bottom lead by fishing with heavier braid straight through - so less chance of crack offs and coils of mono attached to lost rigs (for the next fisherman to snag on) and it seems to me a simplified way to fish to be honest :)

Back