• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

79lb braid on an 8000 fixed spool

My take is to have my braid leader , then 150 yds of 40 lb , then underneath that I have a further 150 yds of 40 lb but a different colour to the first 150, then backing .
There are a couple of reasons, firstly if / when the first 150 gets worn, chafed or breaks It can be replaced easily without messing about , and I know how much is needed, which is good as I always have several spools of braid spare and each is marked with how much is on the spool, secondly , and this is a minor point really , I know roughly how much line is out there every time I cast in .
I have a couple of Shimmys that I use on the beach, they are both loaded as above but with different coloured braids so as to be able to distinguish between lines at night .
To make life easier, I have made myself a couple of line winders, each load one yard of line to each turn of the handle, I know over 150 turns the circumference grow a little , but I am not to a foot or two. They make loading a reel with a known length of braid a doddle, plus the reversing of lines on reel spools to get the required line level using the winders could not be easier.

For years I have been using the cheap Agepoch chinese braids, and before that the bootleg Power Pro and never ever had any problems with it at all .

Dave

Dave

79lb braid seems a bit over the top ,I use 25lb straight through myself
Working on the accepted basis that the shockleader, or straight through line in your case, should be 10Lb for every ounce of weight you are casting, I would be afraid of crack-offs using 25Lb line (Braid or Mono) straight through when casting with a 4oz or heavier sinker. ??

I can't get on with Braid for Beach fishing/Surfcasting, so use 28Lb Mono with a 70Lb Shockleader.

Working on the accepted basis that the shockleader, or straight through line in your case, should be 10Lb for every ounce of weight you are casting, I would be afraid of crack-offs using 25Lb line (Braid or Mono) straight through when casting with a 4oz or heavier sinker. ??

I can't get on with Braid for Beach fishing/Surfcasting, so use 28Lb Mono with a 70Lb Shockleader.
Never cracked off..but then 80 yards is all I need.

This does of course also bring into scope the differing breaking strain ratings (UK vs USA) as stated on spools of braid where the 79lb braid I am referring to is expected to be around 0.35mm which would equate to around 50lb across the pond ... naturally these minimum > maximum rating standards are all just 'reference points' for the individual to work from I guess.

What works on the shore is what counts at the end of the day which is why threads like this often swing from side to side.

@TheThirdEarl - nice tip regarding the two-tone per spool ... I use Red mono backing on all my braided spinning reels for this very reason (being able to see even the faintest hint of approaching the end of useable braid once casted) - but rather than being confronted with a mono>braid knot as a nasty hinderance, having a second length of 150m of useable braid a very nice idea (y)

Right - so just checked out on the braid ... settled on 79lb and 58lb and will give both of these a whirl on my next trip out.

In case it is of any use to others stumbling across this, I will report my findings even though they will naturally be subjective and from a minimal experience perspective (ie. things might change after a lot of use and different situations) - so really just an initial opinion on those two braid thicknesses as an immediate change over from mono and shockleaders.

Absolutely agree that time spent googling is time wasted on the beach :)

Right - so just checked out on the braid ... settled on 79lb and 58lb and will give both of these a whirl on my next trip out.

In case it is of any use to others stumbling across this, I will report my findings even though they will naturally be subjective and from a minimal experience perspective (ie. things might change after a lot of use and different situations) - so really just an initial opinion on those two braid thicknesses as an immediate change over from mono and shockleaders.

Absolutely agree that time spent googling is time wasted on the beach :)
Just remember something for the trigger finger unless you are going to use a casting cannon.

This does of course also bring into scope the differing breaking strain ratings (UK vs USA) as stated on spools of braid where the 79lb braid I am referring to is expected to be around 0.35mm which would equate to around 50lb across the pond ... naturally these minimum > maximum rating standards are all just 'reference points' for the individual to work from I guess.

What works on the shore is what counts at the end of the day which is why threads like this often swing from side to side.

@TheThirdEarl - nice tip regarding the two-tone per spool ... I use Red mono backing on all my braided spinning reels for this very reason (being able to see even the faintest hint of approaching the end of useable braid once casted) - but rather than being confronted with a mono>braid knot as a nasty hinderance, having a second length of 150m of useable braid a very nice idea (y)
But hes Knots knots knots plan fall flat on it's arse when hitting 200 yards plus so you have joins out in surf!

Don't forget also the 10lb per oz casting idea is wrong on braid as braid has no stretch/give so needs to be stepped up a bit but also the quality of the braid matters! As some is pure over priced shite and avoid like the plaque flat/loosely woven braid.

The thing with using towing line braid is you loose all the advantages of reason why use it in the first place.
Decent .20-24 is still strong more than you will break and pulling for a break directly will often damage reels! or distort rotor/bend things!
Heavy braid leaders will absorb cast but also deal with being on sea bed/dragged through backwash and if on likes of chesil in a big sea you will praise it as even 79lb like J braid will not like being shingled! where as 4 strand 80-100lb choogie braid will laugh at it as it's tough.
Then can change leader as need be

Who fishes st 200 yards ? Not many I will bet, that is why I join the braid at 150 yds, When retreating with the tide ,yes the joined braid does very occasionally leave the spool , but it is probably only 30 or 40 yds very maximum in the water so I have no worries about the joining knot being abraded on the seabed. ?

I am no big caster , and would say that 90 % of beach anglers fish at sub 150 , I know I do , so the problem isnt a problem , simples .

???

Dave

Last edited:
Who fishes st 200 yards ?

Even when retreating as the tide comes in ?

???

Dave
Simple those that can cast! and also had to drag huge ball of weed back 200 odd yards as out a good distance then we had to abandon ship as suddenly breached shingle spit we was on so other guy brought my rod back with drag loose as had waders on so i then had to drag back 100 odd plus 100 odd of distance back onto terra firma from end of spit! took ages to get in but rod n reel dealt with it

I have whipped canons onto all of my bigger rods in preparation for using them hybrid (multi > FS).

@Tournamag - I get what you are saying regarding the finess of braid ... my line of thinking leading me to consider the braid option in the first place was not to reduce diameter and inherit the other benefits that come with that, but rather to eliminate the need for knots and go straight through.
This is of course not a well researched and thought through decision and was just a basic gut feel choice to be honest.

I should probably try a spool (I have three spare spools for my 8000) of lower diameter and heavy braid leader ... I guess that having lost too many rigs and tapered shockleaders (from the odd crack off) has just made me knot-averse, even though the braid > braid knot is probably tiny ... just hate that snick-snick-snick-snick sound of traditonal knots sliding/rattling through the rings :)

May I ask for opinions from you guys here, who are clearly experienced in the beachcasting with braid thing - how do multipliers fare?

I have read about the thinner line bedding in and impeding the free spooling and so on ... and can only imagine that a birds nest is probably a session ender compared to mono (correct me if I am wrong here).

But what about my line of thinking of heavier, as in thicker diameter, braid ... anyone had experiences of thicker braid on a multi when it comes to basic casting performance?

Cheers

I have whipped canons onto all of my bigger rods in preparation for using them hybrid (multi > FS).

@Tournamag - I get what you are saying regarding the finess of braid ... my line of thinking leading me to consider the braid option in the first place was not to reduce diameter and inherit the other benefits that come with that, but rather to eliminate the need for knots and go straight through.
This is of course not a well researched and thought through decision and was just a basic gut feel choice to be honest.

I should probably try a spool (I have three spare spools for my 8000) of lower diameter and heavy braid leader ... I guess that having lost too many rigs and tapered shockleaders (from the odd crack off) has just made me knot-averse, even though the braid > braid knot is probably tiny ... just hate that snick-snick-snick-snick sound of traditonal knots sliding/rattling through the rings :)
All my reels have braid leaders even multi's with mono small knot and far better than a mono leader!
It's just 79lb braid takes away the benefits of braid. And ive towed some crap in on .23 braid with 100lb'ish powerpro braid tiddly knot and never lost anything.
Where are you fishing to need towing equipment? and another thing heavier lines quicker drop on spool so more resistance to line leaving spool(FS Achilles heel)
My Fathom 12's run .30 mono not lost any thing

I fish a variety of locations as my wife travels a lot for her job and we often turn a distance client visit into an overnight/weekend thing.

Based in the South East so cover everything from Dungeness to Chesil with everything in between (seldom go to the direct East) on a regualr basis ... Cornwall trips probably once a month-ish and then occassionally North East and the odd/rare Northerly trip.

Beginning to think I should have stuck with mono - ha ha ha.

Back