• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

A load of gifted rods needing attention/refurb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, yes! Dickflute, I'd forgotten about that one. A real badge of honor 🎖 🤣

Horses to water Stan, horses to water. We can but advise 👍

Thank you @Beach. I'm not so sure anymore !!

Well if you check post 20 I just said I am more than happy to advise on your refurbs. So far you have not asked anything except to ask for thoughts. Thoughts on what???? The rods as described are poor quality but as has been said, perfectly fine to practise building on. Not possible to pre-empt what questions you may have. As described the Shakespeare is probably the best one to start a refurb on. Shakies were always, and still are good enough entry rods.

I think Wobert might be having a windup.

Penn Peer from the antiques shop?
@JLD - I don't quite understand your comments: there are folk who rather like vintage Penn reels. I could definitely re-sell just the Penn reel for very much more than the shop's asking price for rod+reel ! Or I could just keep/use it of course - what ya reckon?

Last edited:
Well if you check post 20 I just said I am more than happy to advise on your refurbs. So far you have not asked anything except to ask for thoughts. Thoughts on what???? The rods as described are poor quality but as has been said, perfectly fine to practise building on. Not possible to pre-empt what questions you may have. As described the Shakespeare is probably the best one to start a refurb on. Shakies were always, and still are good enough entry rods.
I did note your post 20 @stan m thank you kindly. I expect I will have loads more specific questions along the way.

Last edited:
Thanks Topwater. I appreciate that their blanks are not great spec', but if they'll lob a line then worth saving from the scrap heap. (I'm working on the premise that successful fishing is so so much more than the blank that stuff is attached to or hanging off - key factor being the person holding the rod of course !) I do, however, like the feel in my hands of the almost identical rods No2 and No3 (albeit not yet used in anger). Never heard of butcher's/bagging tape until this thread: I might try it as an emergency or trial fix (e.g. to test-out rod No2 guide modifications perhaps), but I'd like to learn the skill of binding.
Funny you have never heard of butchers tape. You said that last week on WSF

I would probably do them all overtime, do the beachcasters first,if your just starting out fishing stick with a fixed spool reels,then maybe get someone to teach you how to use a multiplier. Hope this helps. Tight lines.
Thanks for your thoughts @Wolf. I was, indeed, thinking to concentrate on beach-caster refurbs first (while also sticking a small fixed reel on the workable DAM - rod No1) and maybe also buying a new baitcaster rod with low-profile multiplier reel.

Funny you have never heard of butchers tape. You said that last week on WSF
Did I ? I might have passed-off use of electrical insulation tape, but folk seem to be suggesting that butchers/bagging tape is a bit different !?? Have you used either @Valleyboy for guide fixing ? - any recommends please ?

Last edited:
Yep your exact words were
" Thanks for your thought @FishAmaniac, but I can't see myself resorting to insulation or "bagging" tape other than as an emergency/temporary fix."

Bot me thinks. A bit of artificial insemination

Last edited:
Did I ? I might have passed-off use of electrical insulation tape, but folk seem to be suggesting that butchers/bagging tape is a bit different !?? Have you used either @Valleyboy for guide fixing ? - any recommends please ?

Well if you are on WSF then rod building, "Rod build project from scratch" sticky on there, almost all you need to know so no real need for additional questions

Yep your exact words were
" Thanks for your thought @FishAmaniac, but I can't see myself resorting to insulation or "bagging" tape other than as an emergency/temporary fix."

Bot me thinks. A bit of artificial insemination
Well-spotted @Valleyboy - obviously I had no idea what I was referring to at that time. So, this far on, can you/would you recommend butcher's/bagging tape please as a make-do guide-fixing method ?

Well if you are on WSF then rod building, "Rod build project from scratch" sticky on there, almost all you need to know so no real need for additional questions
I'll check that out @stan m thank you most kindly. Unfortunately I found that WSF long-standing members/fishers were no more tolerant-of/welcoming-to hopeful newbies than some members here !!!!! :(:(

Last edited:
Bagging tape doesn't stretch like electrical tape so holds the guides on better, it's also thinner. I use it to attach guides to prototype blanks and rock rods that can be prone to guide damage.

This forum, like all if not most, can be populated by weirdos, wind-up merchants and bots. The vast majority here on TSF will help where possible provided you are willing to be courteous and not overly demanding 🤗

Bagging tape doesn't stretch like electrical tape so holds the guides on better, it's also thinner. I use it to attach guides to prototype blanks and rock rods that can be prone to guide damage.

This forum, like all if not most, can be populated by weirdos, wind-up merchants and bots. The vast majority here on TSF will help where possible provided you are willing to be courteous and not overly demanding 🤗
Thank you @Topwater

Weirdos?! Now they tell me… 🙄

I've got a Harrison P2 blank that I taped a set of Minima 4 stainless steel rings on using bagging tape. Casts realy well and catches fish on the rare occasions I use it these days.

As above, ir doesn't stretch so the rings stay where you tape them.

Fish don't notice either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back