• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Acid / Spiral wrap boat rods?

Hi Chaps…..My butt pad is circa 1930”s full leather, nice felt padding with no crossbar, and a lovely thing it is too . I only use it once a blue moon, or maybe twice if I am unlucky , so there will always be that chance of rod twist.
But, I have had conger to 70lbs using it and had no problems, so I dont see anything I am likley to latch onto will give me any grief really.

Got the rod re whipped , look like a fishing rod should do now. 👍

Dave
Keep what you do in the privacy of your own home to yourself. You WRAP a rod. Google rod wrapper and then google rod whipper, let us know the results.:ROFLMAO:

I always thought a gimbal was a thing for making holes in stuff..😬

Curious really 'cos you can only actually buy whipping thread.
If you go to outlets who only sell parts but really know little about rod building. One of the best on the market at the moment and last few years is Prowrap. Why not call it Prowhip.

ProWrap Thread Sizing. Wrapping thread generally comes in four sizes that reflect the thread's diameter; A, B, C and D

Last edited:
These are what I use Stan, I have never ever used a mechanised contraption for Whipping rods .

IMG_1864.jpeg

I do use a couple of home made rod turners for drying , or if you like waiting for the high build to go off .

I feel I may eventually have to go down the mechanised route one day , I have quite bad problems in both hands with Duputryens Contracture and Reynauds syndrome.

Dave

These are what I use Stan, I have never ever used a mechanised contraption for Whipping rods .

View attachment 57814

I do use a couple of home made rod turners for drying , or if you like waiting for the high build to go off .

I feel I may eventually have to go down the mechanised route one day , I have quite bad problems in both hands with Duputryens Contracture and Reynauds syndrome.

Dave
Could not agree more Dave. I use a power wrapper for long underwraps on big game rods, but even then the spool holder is
as in the pic and the thread comes off it through my 10 tensioners, (5 on each hand). Lighter rods, fly etc I have a high tech rod holder as in the pic and the blank is turned in my hand with thread tension as above. Got a Flexcoat 4 head dryer but I was doing it full time.

P1010046.JPGP1140619.JPGP1150121.JPG

I am only an amateur Stan, so never needed the rod building goodies, never even used a rod turning jig,or stand, just held the rod in my hands. I used to do a lot of commisions for a couple of tackle shops. Boat rods, Surf rods, Coarse and Fly rods as well, they were always just a hobby really.
I spend most of my rod building time these days rbuilding or repairing friends rods, or refurbishing split cane rods for collectors. It is quite therapeutic as there is no rush. Just as well really because some of the rods have a hundred or more closely spaced intermediate whips.You could go cross eyed doing them.

It is a bit of a change doing the 50lb rod, as its for my personal use there is no bling at all , and the whipping thread (d) seems like rope compared to the very fine Madeira threads I use on coarse /fly rods.
Still, its nice to have something different to do !

Dave

Last edited:
Power Rod Wrapper

Power Rod Wrapper​

Login for trade prices

View attachment 57814

Dave
I just get the chinks to make mine..😎

Back