• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Acid / Spiral wrap boat rods?

It turns the blank to wrap the thread. I think technically a whipping machine - at least one that's built for rod building rather than for the likes of Max Moseley - would require the rod to be stationary and the thread to rotate round it?

It turns the blank to wrap the thread. I think technically a whipping machine - at least one that's built for rod building rather than for the likes of Max Moseley - would require the rod to be stationary and the thread to rotate round it?
Thought you wrapped rod eyes, not whipped... 🤣

Ian.

Built (from memory) 12 of them. Not my cup of tea as I`m a dinosaur but seems they do work. On the pic I posted the last 3 guides before tip were all in line with the tip
I have used spiral wrapped rods and cant really see or tell any difference , so I am guessing the difference must be minimal to the user ?

Last edited:
Just to create more unrest, it would appear that rod builders or repairers were whipping on rings ( not guides) well before all this modern “wraps and guides” stuff was invented, in a nutshell , the modern terms are just re inventing the wheel.
Looking in my anglers library I found lots of references to “ whipping and rod rings”
Looky here
8093BDB5-8324-4DFD-BB93-B02D6770EE87.jpeg

325AF242-74D0-4BD3-B36A-CCF11681437F.jpeg

FA9F88FC-04E4-48FD-B46C-B8895260C9AE.jpeg

Dave

Just to create more unrest, it would appear that rod builders or repairers were whipping on rings ( not guides) well before all this modern “wraps and guides” stuff was invented, in a nutshell , the modern terms are just re inventing the wheel.
Looking in my anglers library I found lots of references to “ whipping and rod rings”
Looky here
View attachment 58073

View attachment 58074

View attachment 58076

Dave

Aftco rollers aint rings are they. They simply "guide" the line along the blank. Sorry Dave you still aint come up with a rod "whipping" tool for sale but there are plenty "wrapping" tools. You call it / they what you like, I`ll call it correctly

To be honest Stan , I did not realise that I was supposed to be looking for one 😋.
I think it is just easiest to say that rods totally built by hand are “ whipped “ and rods that are built using any form of machine to assist in binding the eyes on are “ wrapped “ . I am a whipper not a wrapper . Never was and in all probability will never be a wrapper , whereas you can do both .
As for rollers , happy to call them guides , well I have only ever whipped a few , I will leave those to the professionals, although if pushed could probably whip a few more on 🤣🤣👍

Dave

Last edited:
Back