• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Any ideas?

Goatfish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
My brother in law bought this in USA a few years ago and recently gave it to me. The head is weighted and the hook is roughly 4/0 size.
I have no idea what the little rubber bit is that is on the back of the hook, it has a glass/ plastic prism in the end which can be seen on the photo.
The poor chap has really bad Parkinson’s now and I told him I would catch a Bass on it for him.........

My brother in law bought this in USA a few years ago and recently gave it to me. The head is weighted and the hook is roughly 4/0 size.
I have no idea what the little rubber bit is that is on the back of the hook, it has a glass/ plastic prism in the end which can be seen on the photo.
The poor chap has really bad Parkinson’s now and I told him I would catch a Bass on it for him.........
Forgot to attach the photo!

Attachments

• 3F2457D6-0061-49C6-8C33-5D1952086CF4.jpeg
    3F2457D6-0061-49C6-8C33-5D1952086CF4.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 35
To me it looks like its a light attached to the jighead goatfish . Is there a way to unscrew it to see if there is a small battery in it ?
Actually Joe, I just squeezed it to see but no there isn’t a battery.......but it does rattle quite well so I reckon that’s it’s job. Why glass / plastic though, I don’t know.

Actually Joe, I just squeezed it to see but no there isn’t a battery.......but it does rattle quite well so I reckon that’s it’s job. Why glass / plastic though, I don’t know.
Glass beads/rattles are pretty common in lures. Must be the pitch. Is the plastic on the hook point side to make it weedless?

Glass beads/rattles are pretty common in lures. Must be the pitch. Is the plastic on the hook point side to make it weedless?
On the hook point side it’s actually a load of stiff bristles hanging down so I guess that would help make it weedless.
Ive yet to try it, cannot imagine what it will actually do in the water, looks such a weird shape.

On the hook point side it’s actually a load of stiff bristles hanging down so I guess that would help make it weedless.
Ive yet to try it, cannot imagine what it will actually do in the water, looks such a weird shape.
Looks like a bucktail minus the bucktail. Whip a load of maribou or something on it
1612456958342.png

Looks like a bucktail minus the bucktail. Whip a load of maribou or something on it
View attachment 5167
Ah, think your right Valleyboy. The difference being the feathers on yours and a little rubber rattle on mine.
certainly lashing some feathers on would make it more visible, the waters generally a bit coloured where I fish.
Not sure whether a Bass would be tempted...

Ah, think your right Valleyboy. The difference being the feathers on yours and a little rubber rattle on mine.
certainly lashing some feathers on would make it more visible, the waters generally a bit coloured where I fish.
Not sure whether a Bass would be tempted...
Great bass lures. Big both in the states and around the med

Ive never seen one with that kind of attachment on it before ? It gave me the idea that It would be good to use a light attached to a lure in deep sea fishing . Maybe that idea has not been thought of yet ? A pirk would be great with a few small lights flashing in the deep ocean .

Ive never seen one with that kind of attachment on it before ? It gave me the idea that It would be good to use a light attached to a lure in deep sea fishing . Maybe that idea has not been thought of yet ? A pirk would be great with a few small lights flashing in the deep ocean .
I bought some starlights to fit near my bait when fishing the murky Humber but have been unable to try them for obvious reasons..
I could maybe try one on a lure when my usual lure venue is very coloured Joe.

I bought some starlights to fit near my bait when fishing the murky Humber but have been unable to try them for obvious reasons..
I could maybe try one on a lure when my usual lure venue is very coloured Joe.
Yeah thats a good idea for sure goatfish . You could change the colour of the light aswell to a colour the fish liked . I suppose that is a small industry in itself (y)

They sell them on Far East sites.

They sell them on Far East sites.

They look abit odd the way the rattle is sticking out from the jighead like that dont you think beach . I dont know if it would effect the movement of the lure when trying to work it ?

Back