• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Any views on Travel Beach casting rods against 2 piece?

Found the greys triad a really useful rod, to keep across the boot of the car as a spare in matches etc when I had to use one rod but fancied having a decent back up just in case.
With the reducer it takes the rod up to 14ft so a good usable size. The only problem was I snapped the tip due to a casting disaster (my own fault). Luckily found a replacement rod on eBay recently, so will hope that has better luck!
How far from the tip did it snap Graeme?
A fellow forum user snapped a Continental rod about 5" down from the tip, so gave it to me as I hoped I could fix it.

There are lots of various sized options on eBay for Carbon fibre tubing, so a length of that & some epoxy, and the job was a good 'un.
I had to ream one end of the inside of the tube down a fraction to get it to fit the blank, but done 2 seasons of light use now & it's great!

The long length of tubing through the eyes was a spare bit to keep everything lined up while the epoxy set. I've since painted the repair white and you hardly notice it.

Vertix repair 2.jpg

How far from the tip did it snap Graeme?
A fellow forum user snapped a Continental rod about 5" down from the tip, so gave it to me as I hoped I could fix it.

There are lots of various sized options on eBay for Carbon fibre tubing, so a length of that & some epoxy, and the job was a good 'un.
I had to ream one end of the inside of the tube down a fraction to get it to fit the blank, but done 2 seasons of light use now & it's great!

The long length of tubing through the eyes was a spare bit to keep everything lined up while the epoxy set. I've since painted the repair white and you hardly notice it.

View attachment 43525

It snapped in two places unfortunately, 4 inches from the tip and halfway down, and not clean breaks either!
By some chance I had an old three piece rod in the corner of the garage and the tip section was perfect fit and length, a friend re-ringed it with the old rings off the bust section and it seems to blend in lovely. Not used it since the repair as I found the other one off ebay but I think it will work fine, certainly as a spare.
Your repair sounds brilliant!

I’ve managed to get my beach casters in a Toyota Aygo noddy car when I had it as a courtesy car.

Okay wouldn’t do if there were other people and luggage in the car but if it’s for a normal fishing trip, it’s surprising what you can get in small cars, don’t need five piece rods…

It snapped in two places unfortunately, 4 inches from the tip and halfway down, and not clean breaks either!
By some chance I had an old three piece rod in the corner of the garage and the tip section was perfect fit and length, a friend re-ringed it with the old rings off the bust section and it seems to blend in lovely. Not used it since the repair as I found the other one off ebay but I think it will work fine, certainly as a spare.
Your repair sounds brilliant!
The Conti rod wasn't a clean break but having got the carbon Fibre tube to size, it all lined up well inside the tube when I pushed it back together with plenty of Epoxy!

Johns Vertix4.jpg

That’s how I got them in the Toy Motor thing lol
Ah, the beauty of Jeepy! Just over 10ft from front screen to rear tailgate glass. Got 2 sections of my Conti rod stuck together the first itme I used it and they went in in one piece no problem. Always the factory fitted roof bars for anything that won't go inside! 😁😁

Ah, the beauty of Jeepy! Just over 10ft from front screen to rear tailgate glass. Got 2 sections of my Conti rod stuck together the first itme I used it and they went in in one piece no problem. Always the factory fitted roof bars for anything that won't go inside! 😁😁
Yep my estate is plenty long enough 😇

The Conti rod wasn't a clean break but having got the carbon Fibre tube to size, it all lined up well inside the tube when I pushed it back together with plenty of Epoxy!

View attachment 43531

Another "fix" I have used with tip breaks I have had is to cut the blank just in front of the first guide down the rod from the break and glue in a quiver tip. The rod may not still have the maximum casting weight but might then be even better for more sensitive jobs.

Quiver tips can be bought from many tackle shops and range up to 5 oz tips, sometimes stronger. I have converted a damaged Daiwa bass rod into a quivertip rod for heavy river fishing that way and it's very useful. Sensitive but can cast a long way!

Back