• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Anybody have any contacts within the North West IFCA?

Trampster

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I've just got back from one of my nightly visits to Youtube, and someone mentioned the guy behind this channel seen Gill netting on a North West beach.

I did eventually manage to find an email link for the N W IFCA, so have sent them an email, although it may be a waste of time. 'Below is a cut & paste' of part of what I have said, which will explain why I am disgusted, for those that can't be bothered to watch the video.

"In the video I have linked as an example, he can clearly be seen discarding a trail of undersized dead fish from his Gill nets on the beach. Fish that maybe would have survived if the Gill nets were dealt with before the tide went out so far, they were unable to survive. He can clearly be seen ripping fish out of the gill nets, dead or alive.

In another video, he is seen laying out and counting his "haul" at home, and some of the fish can clearly be seen still flapping around IE they have not been promptly & humanely dispatched. On that particular video, or "Haul", he counted out around 20 Plaice, 9 Sole, and numerous Flounder - surely that must be bordering on a commercial operation, as he appears to be doing 2 hauls per day over a period of quite a few days? He obviously does not care at all about conservation. Some of the undersize fish that were still alive he was throwing in a large carrier bag "to release later", but this release was never shown, and it appeared to me that there was no water in the bag, and the fish were just being thrown in willy-nilly on top of each other.

I would be grateful if you could have a look at some of the other videos on his channel - I was so disgusted, I've only watched 2. I would be grateful for your thoughts on this character. People like him are doing nothing towards conservation or treating fish with some humanity, and it is "Fishermen" (I use the term loosely) like him that are giving other members of the Angling & Fishing community a bad name."

Only my opinion, but what a low-life.

People like him are a total waste of space.,there must be some bylaw he is breaking
unfortunately it might be legal,if he is selling the fish then there's probably rules about that.be stupid to film it if he was breaking the law!

On the video it dont show his face or where he is (unless missed that), i am not sure but was not that kind of "fixed" netting to be banned, or very sure at least regulated.
The other one i looked at where he (if it is the same person)is netting and moving is different and not fixed net.

Illegal fish sales It is illegal for recreational fishers to sell their catch. Illegal fish-selling operations pose a major threat to inshore fish stocks. Severe penalties (a fine plus up to 10 times the value of the species) apply and all gear used in the operations may be confiscated. If you are aware of illegal fishing or fish sales, please note details such as car/boat registration numbers and a description of offender(s), and call FISHWATCH or contact the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD).

May be of some help and info, not got time at mo to go through it.

Last edited:
Nets (gill) etc are illegal to use from the shore on the Sussex coast. Barstuards comes to mind.

I know it may irk some on here, but i myself have no problem in someone (RSA) netting fish as long as they are doing it by the book, as it is only another form of catching a fish or sea creature from the sea.
In me book it is fair game (as long as legal) to get anyway you can.

I know it may irk some on here, but i myself have no problem in someone (RSA) netting fish as long as they are doing it by the book, as it is only another form of catching a fish or sea creature from the sea.
In me book it is fair game (as long as legal) to get anyway you can.
been done for years!!! Ok for someone putting pots out all over the place but put a longline or 100yards of net out there's hell up!

The thing is if you are a normal person, is it wrong to try and catch food for yourself or family by any means possible?

You'd like to include gorge baits, cymag and tnt? The real fact is our fisheries across the globe are under insane pressure 24/7/365. We need to reduce that overload. People don't starve outside of the world's poorest nations. There's absolutely no need for continuous over exploitation in a country like the UK. Overpopulated, oversubscribed yet only the few contribute. The rest take.....

The thing is if you are a normal person, is it wrong to try and catch food for yourself or family by any means possible?
No, but gill nets are indiscriminate and I doubt many under size fish or the ones they don’t want survive.

Plus you tend to find most of these ‘hobby betters’ basically do it for beer money.

I wouldn’t even mind that so much, although the cash in hand crowd annoy me, but it’s also a destructive way of getting a few quid.

And by selling stuff on, they’re breaking all sorts of food regs etc.

No, but gill nets are indiscriminate and I doubt many under size fish or the ones they don’t want survive.

Plus you tend to find most of these ‘hobby betters’ basically do it for beer money.

I wouldn’t even mind that so much, although the cash in hand crowd annoy me, but it’s also a destructive way of getting a few quid.

And by selling stuff on, they’re breaking all sorts of food regs etc.
I agree with what you say but in relation to my previous posts, if it is soley for yourself or to feed your family and you are doing within regulations there should be no problem.

Man has had to feed himself by what ever means possible to him, how he goes about it within the law should be ok should it not, what gives someone with a rod more say?
I have killed trout by tickling, a trap and with a house brick! Is there anything wrong with that?

Yes i am totally against illegal netting and any other type of illegally killing and keeping fish.

I agree with what you say but in relation to my previous posts, if it is soley for yourself or to feed your family and you are doing within regulations there should be no problem.

Man has had to feed himself by what ever means possible to him, how he goes about it within the law should be ok should it not, what gives someone with a rod more say?
I have killed trout by tickling, a trap and with a house brick! Is there anything wrong with that?

Yes i am totally against illegal netting and any other type of illegally killing and keeping fish.
No, as long as it’s for your own/family use and done responsibly, I don’t have any problem with that.

Unfortunately as the video showed, this wasn’t.

What he did with the fish obviously I don’t know, but if he’s doing it as regularly as the video suggested, that’s more fish than one person or family could use.

been done for years!!! Ok for someone putting pots out all over the place but put a longline or 100yards of net out there's hell up!
Putting a net out Tommo is not the issue. The problem lies with the bloke's attitude, and him not checking the nets (he had 3 out) at such a time that the fish can be carefully removed from the net so that the undersize ones can be put back whilst still alive. The way he was ripping the fish out of the net, after the tide had gone out so far they were all dying, and then litterng the undersized dead fish along the beach is despicable.

No, as long as it’s for your own/family use and done responsibly, I don’t have any problem with that.

What he did with the fish obviously I don’t know, but if he’s doing it as regularly as the video suggested, that’s more fish than one person or family could use.
If that was the case there would be no venison..or other game for sale in the UK..we really don't want to go down that road.

If that was the case there would be no venison..or other game for sale in the UK..we really don't want to go down that road.
Killing & selling fish or game for food is not the issue here Flappy, it was this guy's total disregard for the welfare of the fish, strewing the beach with a line of undersized dead ones that he didn't want to be seen taking, and his total disregard for fish stocks & conservation. Conservation is supposed to be what the IFCA's are all about.

I've killed many fish & some game over the years, but I never take more than I need or can dispose of, and always try to put undersized fish back promptly to give them a chance of survival.

Me and a mate used to go boat fishing a couple of times a week some years back, and on a good day, we caught 150-200 Mackerel and sold them around the local villages for 50p each, but there was never any wastage.

As long as it is legal.

Back