• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Anybody have any contacts within the North West IFCA?

Killing & selling fish or game for food is not the issue here Flappy, it was this guy's total disregard for the welfare of the fish, strewing the beach with a line of undersized dead ones that he didn't want to be seen taking, and his total disregard for fish stocks & conservation. Conservation is supposed to be what the IFCA's are all about.

I've killed many fish & some game over the years, but I never take more than I need or can dispose of, and always try to put undersized fish back promptly to give them a chance of survival.

Me and a mate used to go boat fishing a couple of times a week some years back, and on a good day, we caught 150-200 Mackerel and sold them around the local villages for 50p each, but there was never any wastage.
The first video does not show where he is, who he is. He has a fixed static net and must know he is doing wrong. So yes i would say in that clip he is totally wrong.
The second one i briefly looked at he was moving with the net which is not illegal (or against some by-laws) and that is why imo he shows him self.

Killing & selling fish or game for food is not the issue here Flappy, it was this guy's total disregard for the welfare of the fish, strewing the beach with a line of undersized dead ones that he didn't want to be seen taking, and his total disregard for fish stocks & conservation. Conservation is supposed to be what the IFCA's are all about.

I've killed many fish & some game over the years, but I never take more than I need or can dispose of, and always try to put undersized fish back promptly to give them a chance of survival.

Me and a mate used to go boat fishing a couple of times a week some years back, and on a good day, we caught 150-200 Mackerel and sold them around the local villages for 50p each, but there was never any wastage.
You are admitting to selling your catch.
Many would run you down for it and to quote previous debates elsewhere they would class you a commercial fisherman.
I would do similar with mackerel but by swapping them for other things.

A lot of areas have different by-laws.
I get news letter from the AT (i am not member or will ever be) and i think recently there was a section about new regulations about fixed netting, i will try and find it later.

A lot of areas have different by-laws.
I get news letter from the AT (i am not member or will ever be) and i think recently there was a section about new regulations about fixed netting, i will try and find it later.
Without giving opinion on gill netting rights or wrongs, I would just say that the self pronounced 'governing body of angling', the Angling Trust, has no authority to create rules on angling. Everything they publish is either copied from Government statute or is just 'guidance' that they have created that they then want people to think are rules!

Without giving opinion on gill netting rights or wrongs, I would just say that the self pronounced 'governing body of angling', the Angling Trust, has no authority to create rules on angling. Everything they publish is either copied from Government statute or is just 'guidance' that they have created that they then want people to think are rules!
I completely agree with you they have no mandate to represent anyone and even discuss regulations at top level, and yes they just jump on and piggy back anything and (if you listen to someone) take the credit.

I signed up for the news letters just to see what they are actually posting and showing as there is no other live contact for them.

They claimed to represent all anglers when in fact it is only the English and as far as i can see, it is only the South Coast as in the past all other regions have taken themselves from it.

Where does this opinion that the sea owes you something come from I wonder? This is an angling forum but some seem willing to deploy nets to take a harvest from a shared resource that they consider to be open to their plunder by any means! Get a grip you greedy fools

Where does this opinion that the sea owes you something come from I wonder? This is an angling forum but some seem willing to deploy nets to take a harvest from a shared resource that they consider to be open to their plunder by any means! Get a grip you greedy fools
??live off the coast and land round hereIMG_20200608_074347_burst_13.jpgIMG_20210328_142416.jpgIMG_20210304_185602.jpgIMG_20210531_183408.jpg

Good for you Cfish. I was specifically responding to the OP as I'm in the NWIFCA region where it's fast becoming a disgrace

Good for you Cfish. I was specifically responding to the OP as I'm in the NWIFCA region where it's fast becoming a disgrace
Are these a fixed net someone has laid on a beach by walking to it or nets laid by boats?

I am interested as where i fish along the coast (anywhere along a 12 mile stretch) in the last 12 years i have only known of 2 nets out and at both locations they never affected any one fishing.
And i have seen many reports of claims of the total area netted but never actually seen any photographic proof of this.

I am not defending or supporting anyone illegally netting from the beach, i am soley interested in factual proof that would then help in ridding this illegal practice, not the claims of nets (of any type and there are plenty of different types) that are set legally, that is a completely different matter and should not be connected.

I used to lay gill and herring nets way back when from my boat. Minimal distance from the shore was 1/4mile, east to west. When Herring fishing it was north to south and at least 250yds out from low tide.
Trammel nets and lobster pots were between 4 and 7 miles out, east to west for nets and a max string of 10 pots over rough ground.

I used to lay gill and herring nets way back when from my boat. Minimal distance from the shore was 1/4mile, east to west. When Herring fishing it was north to south and at least 250yds out from low tide.
Trammel nets and lobster pots were between 4 and 7 miles out, east to west for nets and a max string of 10 pots over rough ground.
This is what i am trying to determine what some are seeing!

Are they seeing the ones laid by foot on a low tide, as in the first video of the op.

Or nets laid by boats close to the shore, which are a completely different thing.

Nets on boats should be at least ten foot below the surface at low tide!!!
So what about Herring nets that have floats along the top and weights at the bottom. Herring hit the net and rise to the surface and you pick them out if you can beat the seagulls. Used to do it at night when they moved through, daytime was a waste of time.

So what about Herring nets that have floats along the top and weights at the bottom. Herring hit the net and rise to the surface and you pick them out if you can beat the seagulls. Used to do it at night when they moved through, daytime was a waste of time.
I take it you were out on the boat drifting with them

I take it you were out on the boat drifting with them
No I used to shoot the nets north to south and fixed, the shoals would hit the net then rise to the surface. B seagulls used to each a few then just peck and take a lump out of then. Cured that by feeding them rivita which used to swell up in their bellies so they couldn't fly off.

No I used to shoot the nets north to south and fixed, the shoals would hit the net then rise to the surface. B seagulls used to each a few then just peck and take a lump out of then. Cured that by feeding them rivita which used to swell up in their bellies so they couldn't fly off.
Lol might try that! The kids fed them laxative chocolate once on a summer's day!!!! Beach bums got pebble dashed!!!! I was supposed to act responsible and bollock them but I couldn't!!!!! Funny as fuck!!!!!!!!

Quick update - nothing. It was a week ago today I put up the original post and emailed NW IFCA - no reply.

Quick update - nothing. It was a week ago today I put up the original post and emailed NW IFCA - no reply.
That sounds about right for any IFCA scrotes.

Back