• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Assistance to start shore fishing please

Zeb

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I've only ever been mackerel fishing, don't have a great amount of kit. I've got two rods (my brother's 12' which is quite stiff, my 10' which has more bend), kit box/seat, bait box, feathers, bright pink polystyrene balls, various swivels, various hooks, jelly-eel type hooks, tripod rod rest, size 2 and 3 lead weights and no floats.

I'm off work at the moment with a very painful shoulder with limited funds so what better than to look into what I need to fish from the beach.

Anyone know of any good beginner guides on beach/shore fishing please? I've been browsing the brilliant write-ups on here and not come across anything yet.

My areas I can go are Budleigh Salterton, Exmouth, Seaton etc.

EDIT: Should have mentioned, more aimed at what gear to use and what hook set-ups/bait are best.

Last edited:
Hi zeb I’m like local to where you fish to be honest Seaton been crap last 2 yrs cause of gill nets guide wise I’m happy to take you on a sesh at branscome it’s fished better than other beaches mentioned atm I can lend you a pair of mid ranged rods there be conti so won’t do your shoulder any harm simple over head thump will put you in the mix for fish I fish with @bananas a fair bit so see if I can get him Along too I’ll run you thru the basics to get you started then you can just improve from there we should be hitting the best time of year for beach fishing so if your keen just say here and I’ll sush something out mate ?

Hi zeb I’m like local to where you fish to be honest Seaton been crap last 2 yrs cause of gill nets guide wise I’m happy to take you on a sesh at branscome it’s fished better than other beaches mentioned atm I can lend you a pair of mid ranged rods there be conti so won’t do your shoulder any harm simple over head thump will put you in the mix for fish I fish with @bananas a fair bit so see if I can get him Along too I’ll run you thru the basics to get you started then you can just improve from there we should be hitting the best time of year for beach fishing so if your keen just say here and I’ll sush something out mate ?

Wow, I really can't thank you enough for this, I would love to take you up on your most kind offer. I've just gone through the guides and bookmarked are load of write-ups for reading later but nothing beats hands-on watching and doing. I'm off all this week, any other time I'm free any weekend, Sundays until 2pm and never a Friday, all due to my wonderful work routine.

Wow, I really can't thank you enough for this, I would love to take you up on your most kind offer. I've just gone through the guides and bookmarked are load of write-ups for reading later but nothing beats hands-on watching and doing. I'm off all this week, any other time I'm free any weekend, Sundays until 2pm and never a Friday, all due to my wonderful work routine.
Ok mate I’ve got a few comps comeing up but I’m sure I can fit a sesh in some point have a look at some of my posts a few are at branscome and will give u an ideal of targets there’s plenty of coastline round here so spoilt for choice I’ll talk you tru a few places to try but I’ll get your started anyway mate ?

That's a kind offer, you're a gent mate.

Ok mate I’ve got a few comps comeing up but I’m sure I can fit a sesh in some point have a look at some of my posts a few are at branscome and will give u an ideal of targets there’s plenty of coastline round here so spoilt for choice I’ll talk you tru a few places to try but I’ll get your started anyway mate ?
Well done Tat
More experience anglers should try to advise ... we all had to start somewhere
My case is classic case of fishing but not improving on chesil
My good buddy @chesilpete private messaged me on wsf many years ago
didn’t need to , no gain for him other
than helping a fellow dangler
That’s the kindness and thoughtfulness
the man is . I’ve gone on to meet a great
bunch of lads who I can now call friends
and fishing is serious, but boy do we have a laugh !!!!
So come on fellow danglers take Paul’s
and Pete’s attitude
You never know you might have found a life long friend
Gray

Well done Tat
and Pete’s attitude
Gray
Nice post Charr. Totally agree. I get on OK with bait fishing but recently bought a lure rod & smaller reel. It felt really strange, so light, like fishing with a matchstick. Couldn't get the hang of it - I was trying to thrash it out like a beachcaster & 5oz lead! Was out with @John Mitchell & @bananas for a great session, and thanks to Bob and some casting advice, I got it sorted. We can all use a little help & advice at times, and if it's practical advise face to face, it's invaluable.

Top marks to @Tatunka joe for his offer - @Zeb will have a great time & learn a lot if they can meet up.

I've only ever been mackerel fishing, don't have a great amount of kit. I've got two rods (my brother's 12' which is quite stiff, my 10' which has more bend), kit box/seat, bait box, feathers, bright pink polystyrene balls, various swivels, various hooks, jelly-eel type hooks, tripod rod rest, size 2 and 3 lead weights and no floats.

I'm off work at the moment with a very painful shoulder with limited funds so what better than to look into what I need to fish from the beach.

Anyone know of any good beginner guides on beach/shore fishing please? I've been browsing the brilliant write-ups on here and not come across anything yet.

EDIT: Should have mentioned, more aimed at what gear to use and what hook set-ups/bait are best.
Hi Zeb! Your "bright pink polystyrene balls" raised an eyebrow! ???

Give us a little more info on your rods & reels. What is the casting weight of your 10ft rod? The reason I ask is whilst I get the impression you want to go bait fishing, a couple of Savage Gear Seeker lures may work with your rod, and give you the chance for some Mackerel (useful for bait) or even a Bass. They would also give you some casting practice. The SG seekers are available in 12, 16, 23 & 28grams weight, and the slightly larger SG Surf Seekers are 30, 35 & 40grams. Great metal lures for casting (if your rod is appropiate) and only around £5 to £7 each. Tight lines! ??

Hi Zeb! Your "bright pink polystyrene balls" raised an eyebrow! ???

Give us a little more info on your rods & reels. What is the casting weight of your 10ft rod? The reason I ask is whilst I get the impression you want to go bait fishing, a couple of Savage Gear Seeker lures may work with your rod, and give you the chance for some Mackerel (useful for bait) or even a Bass. They would also give you some casting practice. The SG seekers are available in 12, 16, 23 & 28grams weight, and the slightly larger SG Surf Seekers are 30, 35 & 40grams. Great metal lures for casting (if your rod is appropiate) and only around £5 to £7 each. Tight lines! ??
If he starts flicking sex toys about that’s lesson over tramp one thing at a time ffs ??

Well done Tat
and Pete’s attitude
Gray
Been there done that multiple times but can’t help with this particular coast, Tat is the man for that.
If Zeb is coming up North Devon way he’s welcome to meet up for a session ?

Top man Tat! Hats off to you sir. ??

@Zeb welcome,

Have a look at the articles on here, "home page" under "How to Sea Fish" they may be of help to you.(y)(y)

Nowt better than going with someone even if it’s more of a watch and learn session it makes a big difference long term. You got some varied fishing around the area and a few pointers make a world of difference. Started that way a long time ago and amount of times I fished marks and realised I sat in a snag pit losing gear for hours wondering what to do next. Probably to stubborn to pack up and move ? just don’t let tat take credit for any fish you catch ???

That back cast you was doing mate, seemed to send it a good distance, a few more feet on the rod would help off the beach tho.
Some the "how to fish" bits in the article section are really worth a read, and they take you through stuff step by step, you tube is always a good one to, just type in , 1 or 2 hook paternoster, they are good enough to get you going and will catch you fish.
And a meet up does sound good too???

Top man Tat ?

Here’s some info for you mate bait wise round here can’t go wrong with rag and mackerel fresh Mac best by miles but frozen will catch rig wise 2 hook loop rigs size 1 or 2 will catch most things and I like a clipped running ledger for bigger stuff these are my go too rigs but I use many varieties depends on target if your starting out I’d be looking a decent conti rod spend a £100 your get something decent enough I let you have a go with my 15 ft sonic ht it’s a good conti rod a 3 piece I’ll orso bring along a two piece imax match see which one you like best will give you an ideal wot road to go down conti are all good unless you want a go on the rough ground were there easy to break IMHO will be fishing clean ground at branscome 4 to 5 oz leads don’t worry I’ve got heaps targets will be macs gar and plaice in daylight although plaice are hard to come by atm then rays and hounds at night probably pick up a few dogs and straps as well ( branscome a famous for dogs ) if we have a bit of a stir will try for bass bey

Back