• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Assistance to start shore fishing please

Wow, I really can't thank you enough for this, I would love to take you up on your most kind offer. I've just gone through the guides and bookmarked are load of write-ups for reading later but nothing beats hands-on watching and doing. I'm off all this week, any other time I'm free any weekend, Sundays until 2pm and never a Friday, all due to my wonderful work routine.
Hi Why not just venture down with Tat to his match and have a gander over how/what/why/where there using/doing learn a lot from watching them.
If need rigs etc many on here will be happy to donate bits to get you going.
When buying L&M rigs on eBay are great does bundles and good prices for quality rigs plus will tie to what you need/like.
Ive a bag of two up one down clipped and there two hook loop rigs as back ups

Ok mate I’ve got a few comps comeing up but I’m sure I can fit a sesh in some point have a look at some of my posts a few are at branscome and will give u an ideal of targets there’s plenty of coastline round here so spoilt for choice I’ll talk you tru a few places to try but I’ll get your started anyway mate ?

Amazing, I can't thank you enough for this. I've got a VW Passat estate so don't mind driving, can fit any gear inside no problem.

I'll PM you my phone number just in case I miss any messages on here.

Amazing, I can't thank you enough for this. I've got a VW Passat estate so don't mind driving, can fit any gear inside no problem.

I'll PM you my phone number just in case I miss any messages on here.
I’ve got a transit ??????So gears no problem probably looking at next weekend now wife’s birthday this weekend ?and I’ve still got to have a go for sole ASAP but will sort something out then sound good bey ??

Hi Zeb! Your "bright pink polystyrene balls" raised an eyebrow! ???

Give us a little more info on your rods & reels. What is the casting weight of your 10ft rod? The reason I ask is whilst I get the impression you want to go bait fishing, a couple of Savage Gear Seeker lures may work with your rod, and give you the chance for some Mackerel (useful for bait) or even a Bass. They would also give you some casting practice. The SG seekers are available in 12, 16, 23 & 28grams weight, and the slightly larger SG Surf Seekers are 30, 35 & 40grams. Great metal lures for casting (if your rod is appropiate) and only around £5 to £7 each. Tight lines! ??

My brother's rod (which I store at mine as he has no space) is a "Rovex Tide Line 12' Surf with cast weight 4-6oz 2 piece" and my rod is a "Fladen Powerstick 10' 50-100g, 1 3/4 to 3 1/2oz"

@Trampster the bright pink polystyrene balls I bought because I wanted to have a go at doing something other than mackerel fishing and something I watched on YouTube mentioned using these to raise your bait off the sea floor to keep it out of the claws of crabs so your hook doesn't get stripped leaving you sitting there waiting for nothing to happen :)

Been there done that multiple times but can’t help with this particular coast, Tat is the man for that.
If Zeb is coming up North Devon way he’s welcome to meet up for a session ?

I used to live in South Molton (finished primary school and went to secondary there with college in Barnstaple) and lived in Barnstaple, still pop up now and again!

That back cast you was doing mate, seemed to send it a good distance, a few more feet on the rod would help off the beach tho.
Some the "how to fish" bits in the article section are really worth a read, and they take you through stuff step by step, you tube is always a good one to, just type in , 1 or 2 hook paternoster, they are good enough to get you going and will catch you fish.
And a meet up does sound good too???

No matter how much I try I just can't cast facing forwards. A bloke my mum was seeing years ago took me lake fishing once and I just couldn't get the hang of it and never took it any further. Not quite sure how I got into back casting but It works a treat plus somewhere like Brixham breakwater, there's no chance of me snagging a tourist and ripping off an ear :D

I've had a look at the How to Fish guides and looking at it, at the moment it's all a load of text, never have been very good at learning from written material, always been best for me to learn through hands-on.

@Tatunka joe next weekend sounds great although Sunday I'll be going back to work and will need to be back here by 4pm at the latest so Saturday may be best depending on what's planned. I go wild camping up on Dartmoor so have a gas stove ideal for boiling water for hot drinks.

No matter how much I try I just can't cast facing forwards. A bloke my mum was seeing years ago took me lake fishing once and I just couldn't get the hang of it and never took it any further. Not quite sure how I got into back casting but It works a treat plus somewhere like Brixham breakwater, there's no chance of me snagging a tourist and ripping off an ear :D

I've had a look at the How to Fish guides and looking at it, at the moment it's all a load of text, never have been very good at learning from written material, always been best for me to learn through hands-on.

@Tatunka joe next weekend sounds great although Sunday I'll be going back to work and will need to be back here by 4pm at the latest so Saturday may be best depending on what's planned. I go wild camping up on Dartmoor so have a gas stove ideal for boiling water for hot drinks.
I can cast anyhow.
Not saying an expert.
It comes from years of experience on sea, boats, rivers, lakes, pools, streams, when you are faced with getting a bait or lure to a certain location practice is what you need.

I can cast anyhow.
Not saying an expert.
It comes from years of experience on sea, boats, rivers, lakes, pools, streams, when you are faced with getting a bait or lure to a certain location practice is what you need.

Funny you mention boats, today I walked from Newton Abbot to Teignmouth along the estuary with my brother and my dog (German Shepherd) and got very muddy and while sitting down with our kebab and a pint at a pub, was talking about looking into going halves and buying a small boat when my finances are sorted. Managed to snag an interview on Wednesday so hopefully I can change job. Next thing would be looking into where to store it and how to get it to where we want to use it. That's if it's not way out of our price range.

Funny you mention boats, today I walked from Newton Abbot to Teignmouth along the estuary with my brother and my dog (German Shepherd) and got very muddy and while sitting down with our kebab and a pint at a pub, was talking about looking into going halves and buying a small boat when my finances are sorted. Managed to snag an interview on Wednesday so hopefully I can change job. Next thing would be looking into where to store it and how to get it to where we want to use it. That's if it's not way out of our price range.
I have done the boat thing once.
Unless you have deep pockets and calm seas, right tide, cheap mooring i would not bother.

I did do it as it was one thing i wanted to do, but never again.
Others will have a different opinion and i would not argue with them, it is there choice.

Unless you have deep pockets and calm seas, right tide, cheap mooring i would not bother.

Others will have a different opinion and i would not argue with them, it is there choice.
I’d orso add try a few charter trips before hand you can go out fishing from beer for £35 for 8 hrs or even hire self drives from same beach good fishing to be had in Lyme bay ?

I used to live in South Molton (finished primary school and went to secondary there with college in Barnstaple) and lived in Barnstaple, still pop up now and again!
Ideal! We might be related? ??

If you’re popping up or fancy heading this way to go fishing, just give me a shout mate.
Prime surf beach fishing time at the moment ☺️

Completely agree. It’s a lovely thing if you can afford it but several charter trips a year would be cheaper and far less hassle.

It’s a full time hobby with only about 10% of that time actually spent out fishing ?

Back