• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Assistance to start shore fishing please

I’ve got a transit ??????So gears no problem probably looking at next weekend now wife’s birthday this weekend ?and I’ve still got to have a go for sole ASAP but will sort something out then sound good bey ??
For gods sake @Zeb don’t get in the back of the transit

I was told when I thought about getting a boat was Don't it's a hole in the water in to which you pour money,I never got one.!!!!

Finally figured how to mix the quotes - slowly getting used to the forum controls...

Glad you like dogs this is Bert he comes on all my shore trips usally be found carrying around dogfish that have been washed up or stealing mackerel ?

Love dogs!

Ideal! We might be related? ??

If you’re popping up or fancy heading this way to go fishing, just give me a shout mate.
Prime surf beach fishing time at the moment ☺️

Unlikely, I was born in Newton Abbot and we moved to South Molton when I was 11. Love the area, tried moving back there once with my wife several years ago but couldn't manage it.

Completely agree. It’s a lovely thing if you can afford it but several charter trips a year would be cheaper and far less hassle.

It’s a full time hobby with only about 10% of that time actually spent out fishing ?

My brother has storage space for the boat as he has an extra large drive so it would be an investment into a suitable trailer as well but we've yet to look into the overall cost and whether it's worth it.

My brother is a fan of the hire boats from Teignmouth beach where the huts are and the ferry over to Shaldon and we've done that once with a mate chipping in as well and although enjoyable, I did find it a pain that you keep drifting and have to be aware of where you are all the time.

I've heard of the fishing trips at Beer, mainly from two companies I've worked for who have arranged an "office day trip" before I joined and am yet to do it myself, but I'd like to.

Totally get the acronym for BOAT, I think unless you've got money to burn (which we don't) or you've got a mad passion for boats it may not be worth it but as we're looking at sharing the cost mixed with the fact that I'm pretty handy at repairing stuff and wanting to learn how to do stuff myself, it may just be feasible but as I've said - we've yet to look into the whole cost and research is on the agenda but there's no rush. I much prefer shore fishing still. I know there's the cost of life jackets and all the other kit that comes with a boat :)

I've woken up aching like mad after yesterday's walk. Was going to enjoy a lie-in but my daughter has been playing up this morning and I've been dragged out of bed to drive her in :/

My brother's rod (which I store at mine as he has no space) is a "Rovex Tide Line 12' Surf with cast weight 4-6oz 2 piece" and my rod is a "Fladen Powerstick 10' 50-100g, 1 3/4 to 3 1/2oz"

@Trampster the bright pink polystyrene balls I bought because I wanted to have a go at doing something other than mackerel fishing and something I watched on YouTube mentioned using these to raise your bait off the sea floor to keep it out of the claws of crabs so your hook doesn't get stripped leaving you sitting there waiting for nothing to happen :)
Ah, your 'balls' are known as pop-ups! (y)(y)

I've only ever been mackerel fishing, don't have a great amount of kit. I've got two rods (my brother's 12' which is quite stiff, my 10' which has more bend), kit box/seat, bait box, feathers, bright pink polystyrene balls, various swivels, various hooks, jelly-eel type hooks, tripod rod rest, size 2 and 3 lead weights and no floats.

I'm off work at the moment with a very painful shoulder with limited funds so what better than to look into what I need to fish from the beach.

Anyone know of any good beginner guides on beach/shore fishing please? I've been browsing the brilliant write-ups on here and not come across anything yet.

My areas I can go are Budleigh Salterton, Exmouth, Seaton etc.

EDIT: Should have mentioned, more aimed at what gear to use and what hook set-ups/bait are best.
You don't have to have all the quality kit, but a good knowledge of how to catch and which rig to use is a good start, it's a tricky subject, trial and error.
Read some of the reports from regular contributors, they often talk about the rig sizes, weights etc.
Look at eBay, lots of rigs at reasonable prices.

Back