• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Backing line to main line knot

meirion658

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Morning all just bought some new FS 8000 size reels and looking to backfill the spools with some cheap mono before adding the main line. Which knot do you guys use please ?

Double Uni Knot, providing the lines are of similar diameter. 👍👍

Double uni would work fine. Can't say I've ever felt the need to do it though.

I normally use a double blood knot but I’m not too precious about it - what’s the likelihood of having 250-300 yards of line out and that knot ever seeing the light of day?
Highly likely if yiu are a tit like me. Put too much nylon behind the braid on the okuma 8k's and regulalry see the backing knot out of the rod tip if I forget and give it a bit much. :ROFLMAO:
Something I need to remedy soon.
Double grinner/uni will do the job.

Highly likely if yiu are a tit like me. Put too much nylon behind the braid on the okuma 8k's and regulalry see the backing knot out of the rod tip if I forget and give it a bit much. :ROFLMAO:
Something I need to remedy soon.
Double grinner/uni will do the job.
Well I don’t really use braid for shore work but when I have spooled up with it I’ve just whacked the whole 300m spool on.

A couple of times it’s been necessary to unwind it and add more/remove backing but such is life!

If your never going to get down to the backing line you could always part fill the spool with a plastic bag tapped in place then wind on your main line .
I wouldn't use anything other than line for backing especially with todays super slow or variable ocillation reels. Tape is a no go as the pressure of the line squeeze's the adhesive out Plenty of reels offer shallow braid spools with no need of backing

Don't some Mangle makers supply spacers with their Reels, I know Penn do with some of theirs.. ;)

Ian.

Back