• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Backing line to main line knot

Morning all just bought some new FS 8000 size reels and looking to backfill the spools with some cheap mono before adding the main line. Which knot do you guys use please ?
Back on track with your thread, see if your Reels accept spacers mate, no need for backing then. (y)

Ian.

I never use backing line. The mainline I buy comes in bulk spools so I just fill the reel with that. It might mean I am wasting about 80 to 120 metres of line at the bottom of the spool, but I can live with that and should I ever have a crack off or hit a snag meaning I have to pull for a break it means I can keep fishing that session without having to change spools or do an emergency refill on the beach. If you use a backing line and hit a snag and lost say, 120 metres of line, there's a good chance that you would be casting backing line out.

I do the same with braid although I use a shallow spool otherwise it would probably take about 600m to fill it.

I never use backing line. The mainline I buy comes in bulk spools so I just fill the reel with that. It might mean I am wasting about 80 to 120 metres of line at the bottom of the spool, but I can live with that and should I ever have a crack off or hit a snag meaning I have to pull for a break it means I can keep fishing that session without having to change spools or do an emergency refill on the beach. If you use a backing line and hit a snag and lost say, 120 metres of line, there's a good chance that you would be casting backing line out.

I do the same with braid although I use a shallow spool otherwise it would probably take about 600m to fill it.
I’m too tight for that!

Don’t forget, after you’ve had three years or so out of it you can reverse the line and get another three 😇

Being tighter than a ducks a#se how often do you change/ reverse a line?
I reverse my braid after three years but I would never do it with mono. Too many risks as light damage, small nicks and twist can all be a problem that I wouldn't be willing to risk. A bulk spool of mono will fill three or four reels and will last me three or four years for each one so it's costing less than a quid a year for each reel.

Being tighter than a ducks a#se how often do you change/ reverse a line?
lol. Tbh I play it by ear. If it looks/feels okay I’ll keep using it, if it feels nicked or gets too twisted I’ll change it.

Also depends on the reel and where/how often it gets used.
The reels I use for the surf beach and cleaner ground I’ve had the mono on two years because a lot of it is out during a session and I still can’t genuinely feel much wrong with it.

Last edited:
Back