• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bait for first trip????

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Happy New Year Folks!

Hope you are all well.
Planning my first trip this week.
Possibly Hornsea area.
Got all my gear ready.
Baitwise, I'm not sure.
Bought 4 wraps of frozen black lug, some mackerel and a box of squid.
(All is currently frozen. The lugworm wasn't easy to find!)
Possibly hoping to take my daughter on Friday too and wondering if that amount would stretch to 2 outings?

Just wondering (six million dollar question).

How much bait do you normally get through on a session???

Got 2 rods, with 2 hook rigs on each.

I know it's a piece of string question, but any thoughts would be much appreciated 🙂

Hope 2023 is a great year. Tight lines for you all 🎣
Cheers
Johnny

P.S. Found a bloke selling frozen lug and live yellowtails.
Never used yellowtails before.
Are they worth trying, over frozen black lug?

Down here fresh will always outfish frozen don’t know wot your targets will be but I generally will go thru a bag of squid 1/2 lb of live worm pk of sandeels medium and 3 frozen macs that’s for a general 6 hr session different baits if I’m targeting certain fish I’d orso say instead of fishing two flapper rigs I usually fish one multi hook rig generally a loop rig and on the other rod I’d fish a single patten long and low clip down pulley or a clip down single snood rig as will give you more distance than the multi hook then I’d fish different distances till I find the fish buddy 👍👍

Always fresh over frozen..... give me a choice of a lb of fresh rag or 30 frozen blacks I would always take the rag even on a beach that usually works with lug.
You may find fresh maks in your local supermarket....
Frozen blacks (good ones) will out fish fresh rag locally every time except maybe in the summer for plaice and hounds/ They will outfish fresh blacks as well on occasion

Down here fresh will always outfish frozen don’t know wot your targets will be but I generally will go thru a bag of squid 1/2 lb of live worm pk of sandeels medium and 3 frozen macs that’s for a general 6 hr session different baits if I’m targeting certain fish I’d orso say instead of fishing two flapper rigs I usually fish one multi hook rig generally a loop rig and on the other rod I’d fish a single patten long and low clip down pulley or a clip down single snood rig as will give you more distance than the multi hook then I’d fish different distances till I find the fish buddy 👍👍

How much bait……… 😳😳 you must catch a lot of fish 🤣🤣 bag of squid lasts me 2 sessions ish…. Depending on whats biting though…. You would royally take the piss if you knew what i did with my frozen blacks last time out….. but i caught shite loads lol

Depends, as Tats said, where you are fishing, what your target species is, how often you have to change/refresh your bait, and how long a session you are planning.
Many factors involved. What you have there should be OK for a 1st outing, but unsure whether it would stretch to two.

Also, as Pete said, you can often pick up (fairly) fresh Mackerel from a supermarket - Morrisons is good as they are about the only supermarket left with a fresh fish counter. Sometimes fresh Squid & Prawns etc too. Fresh is always better than frozen.

I bought some whole frozen Mackerel last year from a tackle shop. Never again.
Maybe because they had been frozen with the Guts still in them, or maybe they had been hanging around before being frozen, but they stank like hell. Took many washes over 3 weeks to get the stink out of my clothes and hand towels. Never smelt anything so bad.

How much bait……… 😳😳 you must catch a lot of fish 🤣🤣 bag of squid lasts me 2 sessions ish…. Depending on whats biting though…. You would royally take the piss if you knew what i did with my frozen blacks last time out….. but i caught shite loads lol
I didn’t say I’d use it all tho 3 macs is 9 baits for bass mind 🤔😂😂😂

Depends, as Tats said, where you are fishing, what your target species is, how often you have to change/refresh your bait, and how long a session you are planning.
Many factors involved. What you have there should be OK for a 1st outing, but unsure whether it would stretch to two.

Also, as Pete said, you can often pick up (fairly) fresh Mackerel from a supermarket - Morrisons is good as they are about the only supermarket left with a fresh fish counter. Sometimes fresh Squid & Prawns etc too. Fresh is always better than frozen.

I bought some whole frozen Mackerel last year from a tackle shop. Never again.
Maybe because they had been frozen with the Guts still in them, or maybe they had been hanging around before being frozen, but they stank like hell. Took many washes over 3 weeks to get the stink out of my clothes and hand towels. Never smelt anything so bad.
Best to catch and freeze you own I’ve had a lot of folks telling me how effective salted Mac is apparently it toughens up the bait and will outfish frozen fresh is best tho fresh Mac on the south coast is killer but never buy Tesco fresh mackerel it’s shite but they packs of fresh butterflied sardines are the nuts 👍👍

i pump black lug but blanch most of it it not shop brought size it jumbo , just out fishes fresh every time .
,20 worms last me 4 hours low water two rods single hooks , may take 3-4 squid mersey and i have fish :sneaky:

Best to catch and freeze you own I’ve had a lot of folks telling me how effective salted Mac is apparently it toughens up the bait and will outfish frozen fresh is best tho fresh Mac on the south coast is killer but never buy Tesco fresh mackerel it’s shite but they packs of fresh butterflied sardines are the nuts 👍👍
Salted mack is great for tings and dab . Far better than "fresh" shop bought mack

i pump black lug but blanch most of it it not shop brought size it jumbo , just out fishes fresh every time .
,20 worms last me 4 hours low water two rods single hooks , may take 3-4 squid mersey and i have fish :sneaky:
I fish the Dee estuary next door and the same goes. I wouldn't go out without it at this time of year

Forgot to mention Sardines!
Saw some Sardines on offer in Morrisons a few weeks ago and would have bought some, but our freezer is rammed full.

Get out and use yer bait up then bey 😂😂😂👍👍👍
There's a few frozen Squid & King Prawns in there, the rest is food for us! I'd get another small freezer if I had somewhere to put one, but no garage or owt here.
Too cold at the mo for me to go Fishing - buggers my chest & breathing. 🙄🙄

Back