• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Bait for first trip????

Best to catch and freeze you own I’ve had a lot of folks telling me how effective salted Mac is apparently it toughens up the bait and will outfish frozen fresh is best tho fresh Mac on the south coast is killer but never buy Tesco fresh mackerel it’s shite but they packs of fresh butterflied sardines are the nuts 👍👍
I did have a freezerful of mackerel, but it's in an outside building and the bloody thing packed up during the recent cold snap.
Got some from my local tackle shop.

Usually rebait every 20 mins,so one/two hook is three times an hour over how long you stay.
But if they are biting and you’re catching I’ve ran out of bait at times.

Bait can be very area dependent and I wouldn’t have a clue about that coast but I’d think starting out, with the two hook rigs and smallish hooks (size 2 to 1/0) you’ll pick up whatever smaller species are there.
Nothing to say something better won’t take it too.
I’d certainly say you’ve got enough for a session.

Cut the mackerel and squid into enticing strips rather than just fleshy lumps - trim the excess flesh off the mackerel if fishing strips too, this picture gives you an idea.
You can cut the strips into points but I was being a bit lazy here and tbh if it’s dark or the water is dirty, it really doesn’t matter.
0160F4D3-9169-4251-9E1F-126E79D606FB.jpeg
Easier to prepare when it’s still half frozen so don’t defrost everything before you go.
If it’s warmish keep it in a cool bag with an ice block but if it’s fairly cold, I don’t usually bother unless it’s a long session.
Obviously though, if you keep your bait frozen all day, any you don’t use can be returned to the freezer with no deterioration.

At this stage I don’t think I’d get too bogged down in trying different rigs and chopping and changing too much, though depending on how the session goes you could try a larger rig such as a pulley pennell with a 3/0 and a chunkier lug n squid bait.
But I wouldn’t overthink it on your first trip, especially if you’re getting bites and/or fish.

Also, definitely speak to anyone else fishing nearby and find out what methods and bait they’re using, what works etc.
As I say, no idea about that area but you might find it fishes better after dark, though it’s sensible to do your first trip in daylight.

Bait can be very area dependent and I wouldn’t have a clue about that coast but I’d think starting out, with the two hook rigs and smallish hooks (size 2 to 1/0) you’ll pick up whatever smaller species are there.
Nothing to say something better won’t take it too.
I’d certainly say you’ve got enough for a session.

Cut the mackerel and squid into enticing strips rather than just fleshy lumps - trim the excess flesh off the mackerel if fishing strips too, this picture gives you an idea.
You can cut the strips into points but I was being a bit lazy here and tbh if it’s dark or the water is dirty, it really doesn’t matter.
View attachment 37814
Easier to prepare when it’s still half frozen so don’t defrost everything before you go.
If it’s warmish keep it in a cool bag with an ice block but if it’s fairly cold, I don’t usually bother unless it’s a long session.
Obviously though, if you keep your bait frozen all day, any you don’t use can be returned to the freezer with no deterioration.

At this stage I don’t think I’d get too bogged down in trying different rigs and chopping and changing too much, though depending on how the session goes you could try a larger rig such as a pulley pennell with a 3/0 and a chunkier lug n squid bait.
But I wouldn’t overthink it on your first trip, especially if you’re getting bites and/or fish.

Also, definitely speak to anyone else fishing nearby and find out what methods and bait they’re using, what works etc.
As I say, no idea about that area but you might find it fishes better after dark, though it’s sensible to do your first trip in daylight.
Many thanks.
Some great advice there, much appreciated.

Looking at tide times, it's either going to be the east coast tomorrow or west coast on Friday.

Did think about a night trip, but best keep things simple for my first outing.
Thanks again 👍😁

Many thanks.
Some great advice there, much appreciated.

Looking at tide times, it's either going to be the east coast tomorrow or west coast on Friday.

Did think about a night trip, but best keep things simple for my first outing.
Thanks again 👍😁
Yes absolutely. Unless you’re going with someone who can show you the ropes, better to cut your teeth on a couple of daylight trips first, even if the fishing is a bit slow.

If you do know anyone who fishes and can tag along, that’s a great way to learn.
Or even if you can get friendly with anyone you meet down there - I’ve made a couple of fishing buddies over the years simply by chatting with people I’ve met on marks.
That’s more of a long shot, but you never know!

Back