• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Beginner set up

Carl

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi All
Just looking at getting started at shore fishing in the Liverpool/Wirral and North Wales area.
I appreciate everyone has their favourites but suggestions for new rod reel setup would be appreciated.
I already fly fish so not new to angling , but any suggestions regarding tackle would be useful not looking to spend hundreds.
Thanks
Carl

I'd agree with ollieollie, you could easily get confused by too many suggestions .
Are you hoping for cod and ray sized stuff or smaller ?
Base your choice around the species and tactics needed. I.e if you need to have a 6oz weight anchored in big tide or just a 2oz weight dangling over a pier for small stuff .

Hi All
Just looking at getting started at shore fishing in the Liverpool/Wirral and North Wales area.
I appreciate everyone has their favourites but suggestions for new rod reel setup would be appreciated.
I already fly fish so not new to angling , but any suggestions regarding tackle would be useful not looking to spend hundreds.
Thanks
Carl
You are going to have to go value. Shakespeare beachcaster and a sonik fixed spool.
For long enough I cauhht on a shakespeare patriot rod and a ryobi reel. That was very much budget too, but I caught fish on it.

You are going to have to go value. Shakespeare beachcaster and a sonik fixed spool.
For long enough I cauhht on a shakespeare patriot rod and a ryobi reel. That was very much budget too, but I caught fish on it.
I was going to suggest shakey rods, good starter rods.

Thanks all for the advice l am looking at the Shakespeare and Sonik Vader rods anyone used either

Might push you a little over budget with reels but a rod that gets good reviews for the price.

Some good suggestions for you Carl, from the guys above on here.

I think you need to have a think about where you will be fishing - Rock marks, rough ground or clean sand.
Also, is there a strong current, because if so, you will need to use a heavier grip weight, and need the rod that can cast it. The Sonik reel that @Thrasher mentioned has had some good reviews for budget tackle.

Abu Garcia, Penn, Mitchell, Shakespeare, and Ugly Stik are all owned by a company called Pure Fishing, and most of them have some products at the budget end of the market. Okuma also produce some good reels.

Good luck, and pop back if you have any further questions! ??

My advice is to talk to you your local tackle shop,he might have some second hand gear for you to buy,then when you are comfy with the gear , slowly up grade,that's what I've been doing for more years than I care to remember,& don't forget to ask if you're unsure,many of us on this forum are happy to help you

It will all depend on what you have nearby, 70 miles to the GAC would be mine or south to gerrys of Morecombe, neither I would class as local.

Thanks everyone for the advice and l think l will look at the sonik sks black rods just need to decide what length to go for now lol

Thanks everyone for the advice and l think l will look at the sonik sks black rods just need to decide what length to go for now lol
If it's of interest, I bought my Vertix Continental rod from this crowd - they've got a new 14ft SKS Black up for auction. Currently at £16.00 + P&P, finishes in 2 days. They have more at buy-it-now prices too.

Blast it - nearly forgot the link!

Last edited:
Back