• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Boat fishing rod for starting up?

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
How do folks

I've done a bit of shore fishing and a lot of freshwater fishing, but only half a dozen boat trips.

My young one and I are both thinking about buying some tackle of our own, rather than hiring each time.

Just looking at/pricing up Rods.

Any recommendations for a budget starter rod.
One piece? Two piece?
New/second hand?
Budget is a bit tight.
Have already got a multiplier and a centre pin (the youngster finds that easier to use)

We'd just be going for the usual run of the mill stuff in spring and summer.
Mackerel and other small-medium sized species.
Not quite ready for uptide/wreck fishing yet.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Johnny

Have a look on fleabay.

When i first got boat (gone now) i bought 3 rods @ £8 each, i think i only paid £20 for the 3.
To keep on boat and ready to go out, and only cheapo's in case any one robbed them.
2 piece 7fts
All the same so if a part broke on one the other part would fit the others.
Still got them now 10 years later, a bit worn and discoloured and had to replace 2 tips.

As Cfish said, 2 piece 12-20Lb class rods would be ideal. I would either have a mooch on eBay, or better still, your local Gumtree - saves worries about postage and you can go see it before you buy it.

All very good advice above, ollieillie has hit the nail on the head though! I don't own an ugly stik, but I know a good few people that do and they have never broken one and they get used and abused regularly, they're amazing rods for the money.
If you don't want to spend alot, just buy some cheap second hand ones, but have a look before buying to make sure reel seats aren't seized and no eyes are cracked.

I used to use a 50lb class rod and gave it up no fun. Now I use a Gx2 kayak rod 12/20 lb class 1500 cm long it cost me £35 about 4 years ago and I've never looked back so much fun playing a fish to the boat it bounces like feck even with a small codling on and I've had ling to 18lb on it👍.

Rovex Integra Gold boat rods have served us well as general purpose knock abouts. Their name perhaps makes them sound expensive but they were less than £30 brand new. They are built on tough 2pce ugly stick Howald process style blanks with clear glass tips. Have a search on fleabay perhaps?

Just popped up on my eBay this morning - somebody from Weymouth has 4 Grauvell boat rods for sale for £100, cheap postage.

Grauvell rods aren't bad - I've got 2 of their beach rods.

Calls himself "ChesilChucker" - Don't know if @chesilpete or anyone else up that way knows of him. The listing says he's raising funds for a local junior fishing club.

Just popped up on my eBay this morning - somebody from Weymouth has 4 Grauvell boat rods for sale for £100, cheap postage.

Grauvell rods aren't bad - I've got 2 of their beach rods.

Calls himself "ChesilChucker" - Don't know if @chesilpete or anyone else up that way knows of him. The listing says he's raising funds for a local junior fishing club.

Not a clue, but I also have a number of cheap and decent boat rods that someone can have if they want them, if you turn up in a car younger than mine you can give a tenner to the RNLI if not they are free free. Dont ask me what I have because I have not seen them for a while but even if I bought cheap rest assured it wont be complete shite! I live 20 mins West of Salisbury 10 mins from the A303.
Theres also a stack of rods next to my shed if anyone wants to have a fiddle with them 1980s beach rods same deal applies something for the RNLI and take em away and no I am not going to go through them......... next stop is the tip where I know the lads there will ask a few quid for each one........

Not a clue, but I also have a number of cheap and decent boat rods that someone can have if they want them, if you turn up in a car younger than mine you can give a tenner to the RNLI if not they are free free. Dont ask me what I have because I have not seen them for a while but even if I bought cheap rest assured it wont be complete shite! I live 20 mins West of Salisbury 10 mins from the A303.
Theres also a stack of rods next to my shed if anyone wants to have a fiddle with them 1980s beach rods same deal applies something for the RNLI and take em away and no I am not going to go through them......... next stop is the tip where I know the lads there will ask a few quid for each one........

I was thinking of the OP, @Ladfromtad. Obviously being up in Tadcaster, he'll want somebody willing to post them.

Back