• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Boat fixed spool

Tatunka joe

Reaction score
Arfter a fixed spool for the boat to use on reefs but of flaty bashing and generally species hunting in Lyme bay so doesn’t have to be to heavy duty can any one of you lads advise me on one cheers

Just make sure it is salt resistant and wash it after each trip. There are loads of manufactures but they say that Penn reels are ok. I use multies except for mullet in tidal rivers.

Last edited:
Morning Tat I've got the Penn slammer 6500 and can't fault it I pulled some decent sized rays in with it last year I've yet to use it on a boat but I'm sure it or one of the smaller models would be up to the job. It just gets a rinse in fresh water and a wipe over with muc off bike protect after use and still looks mint. They have a good drag set up on them and a high waterproof rating.?

I've some of the older made in USA Spinfishers. You'd struggle to kill them and they don't sell for silly money on the auction sites. Basic rinsing and a couple of drops of oil after each trip is essential no matter what you buy

I've got a spinfisher 4500 liveliner for boat work, had Pollack to 11-12lb so far and a few rays, handled it fine, though I did modify the handle with one off an old akios reel as the spinfisher came with a really short handle that made reeling in very hard work. It also doubles as a great little beach reel too.
I'll try to find the post I started and link it in here.

ABU Cardinal 176 sw seems okay and reasonable price (imho).

Are the Trago one the single use type that don't need washing or maintenance?
No good to you oop North! 3 stores in Devon & Cornwall.

I think some of them are ok like Mitchell’s ( of course ) I haven’t been to trago for a few years , I liked to enjoy a good old look around ,
Haha! Shame Trago don't put more info on their website, but it looks like that Mitchell Blue Water 8000 I bought when there were no Penn Surfblasters available is a fiver cheaper at Trago! Used to love going there for a browse, but Tina hates the place! Not been to Trago since before Covid, when a mate fancied a run up the A38!

Haha! Shame Trago don't put more info on their website, but it looks like that Mitchell Blue Water 8000 I bought when there were no Penn Surfblasters available is a fiver cheaper at Trago! Used to love going there for a browse, but Tina hates the place! Not been to Trago since before Covid, when a mate fancied a run up the A38!
We must do a run up there in a few weeks have a real browse around without the women around

We must do a run up there in a few weeks have a real browse around without the women around
Good plan! ???

I like Billy fishing's idea of making up grip leads with heavy strimmer line instead of wires, so could do with some 4oz plain sinkers. I've already got some stainless wire coming to make some Angel clips.

@Trampster Do they still have Peacocks wandering about the car par and a building that looks like a theme park done on the cheap? When I was down there many moons ago, you had to be a member to get in and they checked you bags on the way out - just in case they'd overcharged you. That was nice.
The owner, Mike somebody used to write a cracking article call the Bureaucracy or similar in the local rag because he was alway having issues with planning permissions. Happy days.
No good to you oop North! 3 stores in Devon & Cornwall.

@Trampster Do they still have Peacocks wandering about the car par and a building that looks like a theme park done on the cheap? When I was down there many moons ago, you had to be a member to get in and they checked you bags on the way out - just in case they'd overcharged you. That was nice.
The owner, Mike somebody used to write a cracking article call the Bureaucracy or similar in the local rag because he was alway having issues with planning permissions. Happy days.
Yep, it hasn't changed much! Never remember having to be a member, but they often used to check bags as he was paranoid about shoplifters! I'm guessing you mean the Newton Abbot store! Mike Robertson was a bit of a character, and well known for standing up to authority! I think he passed away over a decade ago - his son Bruce is running it all now. I'd also forgot they now have a store in Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales, and it looks like they have their own Wiki page!

@Trampster It was the Two Waters Foot, Liskeard. Yes Mike Robertson was the guy. ?

@Trampster It was the Two Waters Foot, Liskeard. Yes Mike Robertson was the guy. ?
Know it well! The two stores at Liskeard & Newton Abbot are about the same distance from us, so usually flip a coin as to which one we visit! I think the Liskeard one was a gunpowder mill before it became Trago, many years ago.

Back