• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Car sharing and being tied down

I have the best of both worlds.

I freshwater fish 80% of the time solo. I like the solitude of the riverbank and the wildlife that seems to ignore me,to a point of wandering around my mark heedless to my presence. ….. probably because I am still for most of the time , bites being a rarity .🤣🤣.

I beach fish probably 60% of the time solo.I like the solitide of the beach or rock marks.

I Charter boat fish always travelling with a mate or two, no probs on the coming or going times as the skipper holds the cards in that respect, after 10 hrs on a boat we are always ready to get off and get home anyway, never vanish into the pub after coming ashore like some do.

If I am driving to a saltwater or freshwater mark, and have a passenger or two , then we come and go on my terms, similarly if a mate is driving me, we come and go on his terms.

Never fall out about it, it has sort of developed that way over many many years.

Dave

I freshwater fish 80% of the time solo. I like the solitude of the riverbank and the wildlife that seems to ignore me,to a point of wandering around my mark heedless to my presence. ….. probably because I am still for most of the time , bites being a rarity .🤣🤣.

I beach fish probably 60% of the time solo.I like the solitide of the beach or rock marks.

I Charter boat fish always travelling with a mate or two, no probs on the coming or going times as the skipper holds the cards in that respect, after 10 hrs on a boat we are always ready to get off and get home anyway, never vanish into the pub after coming ashore like some do.

If I am driving to a saltwater or freshwater mark, and have a passenger or two , then we come and go on my terms, similarly if a mate is driving me, we come and go on his terms.

Never fall out about it, it has sort of developed that way over many many years.

Dave
I don’t fall out about it, I just make the feckers drive themselves 😂

I do like fishing with others.... 90% of the fishing I do I do with others.
Its maybe a bit of a cliché but its just more fun to share the experience.
I do go on my own but prefer to share the experience...... nothing like bagging up with a mate or three.
I would also add it works to fish as a team you see one of your mates getting fish its handy to switch tactics.
Quite a few of our big mixed bags have come from one of us sussing something out and the rest piling in.

I do go on my own but prefer to share the experience...... nothing like bagging up with a mate or three.
I would also add it works to fish as a team you see one of your mates getting fish its handy to switch tactics.
Quite a few of our big mixed bags have come from one of us sussing something out and the rest piling in.
Sometimes for me, sometimes not.

It’s nice to chat with folks but I am very happy with my own company as well, always have been.

Although agree it can be handy when a few of you can try different baits or tactics or whatever.

Dave
I think that’s the key, expectations. If someone has offered a lift and I have accepted I will walk to the beat of their drum. If there will be a problem I’d drive and meet there

Depends on the fishing for me. I usually fish with a mate, but happy on my own.

A lot of the marks I fish in the winter (northeast scotland) are not really sensible on your own, and usually in a storm. They're a couple of hours drive away as well.

The key is having a decent mate 🤣

If either know we are going to be mucking the other we drive separate, or alternatively if you want to go and the other doesn't, just wait.

Exactly as you tho Mr fish, hate the folk that mess up your trip because they were "only out for a couple of hours".

And the muppets on phone all evening.

Spinning and mucking around in summer I'm not fussed either way.

I personally hate being passenger and it totally out of my hands tho, can't stay if the fishing is good.

I think that’s the key, expectations. If someone has offered a lift and I have accepted I will walk to the beat of their drum. If there will be a problem I’d drive and meet there
Agreed but that’s the thing, I’ve known more than a few who have sprung the ‘got to go home early card’ on me after we’ve barely been fishing an hour. No one on here.

Obviously if it was a genuine emergency back home then I’d pack up no questions asked, but it’s usually something pretty feeble such as a promised Tesco trip or the mother in law coming for dinner.

So why they can’t just say before that they have a cut off time, I really don’t understand. Then I either agree with it, or meet them there.

And occasionally it might even be me wanting to go early, if I’m having a truly shit session and feeling proper pissed off - at least I can leave them to it without ruining their trip.

Depends on the fishing for me. I usually fish with a mate, but happy on my own.

A lot of the marks I fish in the winter (northeast scotland) are not really sensible on your own, and usually in a storm. They're a couple of hours drive away as well.

The key is having a decent mate 🤣

If either know we are going to be mucking the other we drive separate, or alternatively if you want to go and the other doesn't, just wait.

Exactly as you tho Mr fish, hate the folk that mess up your trip because they were "only out for a couple of hours".

And the muppets on phone all evening.

Spinning and mucking around in summer I'm not fussed either way.

I personally hate being passenger and it totally out of my hands tho, can't stay if the fishing is good.
Yep, I’m the same, I like to control what I’m doing. Go if I want, stay if I want, move to another mark if I fancy it.

Most of the time on my coast it’s not an issue as you get a set tide window at most marks and then you either run out of water or suddenly find yourself with too much water 😂 so it’s understood from the outset a trip will be four or six hours.

Can you recommend an economical way to keep warm when you're out fishing?

Can you recommend an economical way to keep warm when you're out fishing?
The first thing is consider the general rules of thermos daynamicalis..... generally speaking (and I will not lie to you) but you do have to be a bit clever to understand it like........ you need hot air and tonnes of it.
Clever practitioner's can generate vast quantities wether they are in Scotland or England although generally maximum generation is achieved in France.....
So my top tip is take enormous amounts of bullshit it will keep you warm indefinitely....... or a goat.

Last edited:
Back