• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Casting canon fitting

Tomthewelshie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all,

Decided to try a breakaway casting canon with my fixed spool instead of my usual finger stall. Mainly because it’s either lost in my box, in the way or covered in bait.

I’ve just fitted one but not sure if it’s in the correct position?

Opinions?

IMG_0996.jpeg

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all,

Decided to try a breakaway casting canon with my fixed spool instead of my usual finger stall. Mainly because it’s either lost in my box, in the way or covered in bait.

I’ve just fitted one but not sure if it’s in the correct position?

Opinions?

View attachment 54344

Thanks
Looks fine to me Tom.

It's down to personal preference whether you have it a little further forward on the flat of the blank, or angle it a little as you have.
They recommend having the centre of the pin above the centre of your reel spool. I prefer mine on the flat of the blank, as below.
Plenty of videos about it if you put Casting Cannon into a Youtube search.

Some folks mount them on the side of the rod, but I don't like doing that - being Left handed, it means a Right handed person can't easily use my rod with the Casting Cannon.

Vertix Volcan Casting Cannon.jpeg

Thanks mate I was just a bit unsure. It feels ok in its current position however I usually like 2 fingers about the stem and not one. Might have to experiment. Il try the current position first.

Thanks mate I was just a bit unsure. It feels ok in its current position however I usually like 2 fingers about the stem and not one. Might have to experiment. Il try the current position first.
At least since it only needs to be securely fixed with insulation tape, it's easy to re-position & experiment! 👍👍

My my Tom, you do ask a lot of questions.... 🤣 🤣

Ian.

It's a lot easier with a multiplier, just stick your thumb on the line and release when casting, gentle press on the spool as the lead is about to hit the water: Simples ;)

I’ve got one on one rod, for the rare occasions I use FS and it was fine for a couple of sessions then the line kept slipping around the ‘capstan’ before or as I cast.

Tbh I just can’t figure why it does that as there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the component I can see.
Tried repositioning slightly but was still the same.

Honestly not sure what to make of it. Clearly either I’m doing something wrong or it’s not rigged right, but a mate sold me the rod and showed me how to use the cannon and it was fine for that session, and the next, then it started going wrong.

It’s obviously something that needs someone experienced with cannons with me to either correct what I’m doing, or correct the fitting, just can’t seem to figure it on my own 😞

I am sure GSP sea fishing has a you tube video on fitting a casting canon. There will no doubt be others too.

It's a lot easier with a multiplier, just stick your thumb on the line and release when casting, gentle press on the spool as the lead is about to hit the water: Simples ;)
Easier will probably be determined by experience. I have been fishing with fixed spools about 50 years lets say. Only twice in that time have I tried using a multiplier other than a mackerel bash boat trip. It was a wee Abu, lhw, for salmon spinning. I didn't get on with it so it is in the box still.
Casting a fixed spool is therefore second nature to me and as I use braid on the sea reels I use a finger stall and find no issues with using it. On freshwater using braid no need for it as I am not casting such heavy weights probably maxing out with a 30g toby. I spin for bass with braid too but again light enough lures so no need for a finger stall.
Horses for courses and all that.

I’ve got one but can’t work it out for nor money ussaly just use a casting finger stall but forgot it on sat so spent 10 hrs casting 80 lb braid with me finger and no protection 🤦🏻good job I got hands like rhino skin😁but if anyone can send me in the direction of a decent video to show how the bloody work I’d be more than happy😁

I’ve got one but can’t work it out for nor money ussaly just use a casting finger stall but forgot it on sat so spent 10 hrs casting 80 lb braid with me finger and no protection 🤦🏻good job I got hands like rhino skin😁but if anyone can send me in the direction of a decent video to show how the bloody work I’d be more than happy😁
And send it to me after 🙄

I’ve watched a few videos and it told me nothing about the slipping issue though
There are a lot of fake copies around, so wondering if you've got one of them, and the capstan is made of a different material.
I got mine direct from Norman at Breakaway.
There is also Breakaway UK and Breakaway USA, both selling Cannons, but no idea what the tie-up is between them.

Back