• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Casting canon fitting

There are a lot of fake copies around, so wondering if you've got one of them, and the capstan is made of a different material.
I got mine direct from Norman at Breakaway.
There is also Breakaway UK and Breakaway USA, both selling Cannons, but no idea what the tie-up is between them.
Don’t know tbh. It was already on the rod but my mate doesn’t buy cheap tat for fishing tackle. Then again I don’t know if he put it on there

Don’t know tbh. It was already on the rod but my mate doesn’t buy cheap tat for fishing tackle. Then again I don’t know if he put it on there
The cheap copies suffer wear on the capstan and fall apart. Get the real thing.
I install mine with the capstan level with the spool lip and as close to the spool as possible to eliminate snatch.
If you get slippage then you can either tighten your spool up or put two of three wraps of line around the capstan.
Took me about three casts to dial in the release point and using just the forefinger to release is just as natural as a thumb release
on a multiplier. Only use them on beachcasters.

The cheap copies suffer wear on the capstan and fall apart. Get the real thing.
I install mine with the capstan level with the spool lip and as close to the spool as possible to eliminate snatch.
If you get slippage then you can either tighten your spool up or put two of three wraps of line around the capstan.
Took me about three casts to dial in the release point and using just the forefinger to release is just as natural as a thumb release
on a multiplier. Only use them on beachcasters.
Thanks Alan but as far as I know, it is the real thing, or at least looks like it and there’s no visible wear/damage.

I’ve tried the double wrap but even that slipped a bit and also felt clunky.

There’s probably a simple answer but as I said, I need someone stood there who knows the things and can then tell me it’s either a fake, fitted incorrectly or I’m doing something wrong.

In terms of when to release it, it wasn’t quite second nature but the first session I used it I’d got to the point where it seemed to go out okay.
Then into the second session, this slippage issue started happening.
It really is one of those where there’s nothing obviously wrong (to me) but clearly something isn’t right, I just don’t know what.

Oh, using a mono leader if that would make any difference?
The reel has 30-odd pound braid on it although I am swapping it back to mono when I get around to it, decided I’m mostly done with braid for shore fishing.

Thanks Alan but as far as I know, it is the real thing, or at least looks like it and there’s no visible wear/damage.

There’s probably a simple answer but as I said, I need someone stood there who knows the things and can then tell me it’s either a fake, fitted incorrectly or I’m doing something wrong.

In terms of when to release it, it wasn’t quite second nature but the first session I used it I’d got to the point where it seemed to go out okay.
It really is one of those where there’s nothing obviously wrong (to me) but clearly something isn’t right, I just don’t know what.

The reel has 30-odd pound braid on it although I am swapping it back to mono when I get around to it, decided I’m mostly done with braid for shore fishing.

I use mono around 28Lb with a 70Lb leader on both reels and not had a problem.
The leader has about 4-5 turns on the reel when making a cast, so the leader goes on the capstan of the Cannon.
What do you mean by slippage?
You need to ensure your drag is tight when casting, but you probably know that, so unless the line is coming off the capstan prematurely when you cast, I don't see how it can slip?
Stick a photo up.

I’ve got one on one rod, for the rare occasions I use FS and it was fine for a couple of sessions then the line kept slipping around the ‘capstan’ before or as I cast.

Tbh I just can’t figure why it does that as there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the component I can see.
Tried repositioning slightly but was still the same.

Honestly not sure what to make of it. Clearly either I’m doing something wrong or it’s not rigged right, but a mate sold me the rod and showed me how to use the cannon and it was fine for that session, and the next, then it started going wrong.

It’s obviously something that needs someone experienced with cannons with me to either correct what I’m doing, or correct the fitting, just can’t seem to figure it on my own 😞
Best place is in the recycle bin for it :ROFLMAO: Just jesting.

I use mono around 28Lb with a 70Lb leader on both reels and not had a problem.
The leader has about 4-5 turns on the reel when making a cast, so the leader goes on the capstan of the Cannon.
What do you mean by slippage?
You need to ensure your drag is tight when casting, but you probably know that, so unless the line is coming off the capstan prematurely when you cast, I don't see how it can slip?
Stick a photo up.
It’s not something I’ve got a photo of or can really photograph as it happens in the midst of casting.

The leader slips on the actual capstan. So it’s in lock position ready to cast, rod goes back and my weight slides down and ends up laying on the beach 🙄 (if I let it slide that far, it really doesn’t stay locked.)
That’s with one wrap. With two it just about holds but slips a bit, however I find the release isn’t very smooth with a double wrap.

Yep I do all the rest as a matter of course.

Next time I’m out in the shed sorting fishing gear, if I think of it I’ll get the rod out, put the reel on and do some pictures

The copies fall apart pretty quickly apparently. A now deceased member on the other place did a big write up about them.
Using mine reel down so it's operated by my left hand. Never used a mono casting leader with braid, just 30lb mainline and 80lb braided leader over clean ground. Had to go fixed spool because my arthritic hands used to seize up using small multipliers.
Sounds like slippage round the capstan, loose drag, rather than a false release, never had that and two or three wraps seems to make no difference. I like mine fitted capstan parallel to the blank and slightly offset around the blank to where my forefinger naturally positions itself.
If you are fishing rough ground then braid straight through is an option but never tried it.

The copies fall apart pretty quickly apparently. A now deceased member on the other place did a big write up about them.
Using mine reel down so it's operated by my left hand. Never used a mono casting leader with braid, just 30lb mainline and 80lb braided leader over clean ground. Had to go fixed spool because my arthritic hands used to seize up using small multipliers.
Sounds like slippage round the capstan, loose drag, rather than a false release, never had that and two or three wraps seems to make no difference. I like mine fitted capstan parallel to the blank and slightly offset around the blank to where my forefinger naturally positions itself.
If you are fishing rough ground then braid straight through is an option but never tried it.

Not ever tried using larger multipliers?

Yep, I made the mistake of buying a couple of ABU 7000i C3 CT MAG HS. Nothing I could do to make them run smoothly consigned to the junk drawer, Chinese junk. Could have bought Penns but I already had some quality big pit reels that I used for carp fishing and was used to using braid on fixed spools when beach fishing for bass. I will never change back.
Oddly using small multipliers baitcasting in rivers does not give me a problem but I am not winding in 5/6 oz leads long distances.

It’s not something I’ve got a photo of or can really photograph as it happens in the midst of casting.

The leader slips on the actual capstan. So it’s in lock position ready to cast, rod goes back and my weight slides down and ends up laying on the beach 🙄 (if I let it slide that far, it really doesn’t stay locked.)
That’s with one wrap. With two it just about holds but slips a bit, however I find the release isn’t very smooth with a double wrap.

Yep I do all the rest as a matter of course.

Next time I’m out in the shed sorting fishing gear, if I think of it I’ll get the rod out, put the reel on and do some pictures
Could it be that your Canon is fitted too far forward in relation to the spool of the reel? As well as the obvious fact that some reels have bigger spools than others, the distance that the spool travels forwards and backwards when reeling can also vary greatly, so if your spool is right back against the body of the reel when you take the bail arm off and use the canon, the line could be at an angle forward from the spool that it is allowing it to slip off the front of the spool. You might have unknowingly just have been lifting the bail during different positions of the travel of the spool on the first session so never noticed the problem then.

An easy way to check is to try it a few times with the spool advanced as far forward as it goes before you lift the bail arm and engage the canon. If it cures the problem then just move the canon backwards slightly.

Nope my drag is always tight. Tbh mostly use the FS for more distance at pretty much only chesil, or that was the plan.

The target then is really flats so I don’t worry about adjusting the drag at all (the reel, a big FS, has a bait runner so that’s set just in case when it’s in the rest).

But the hypersensitivity of braid has turned me right off it so at some point I’ll be reverting that reel back to 18lb Rovex 10 mono or similar.
It doesn’t get used very often in any case.

It may be I’ve got the cannon in the wrong place but will have to post a pic at some point and see what you all think

Could it be that your Canon is fitted too far forward in relation to the spool of the reel? As well as the obvious fact that some reels have bigger spools than others, the distance that the spool travels forwards and backwards when reeling can also vary greatly, so if your spool is right back against the body of the reel when you take the bail arm off and use the canon, the line could be at an angle forward from the spool that it is allowing it to slip off the front of the spool. You might have unknowingly just have been lifting the bail during different positions of the travel of the spool on the first session so never noticed the problem then.

An easy way to check is to try it a few times with the spool advanced as far forward as it goes before you lift the bail arm and engage the canon. If it cures the problem then just move the canon backwards slightly.
Cheers mate. Yep it could be, I don’t know enough about the things to know if the way I’ve got it is right or not.

Without digging it out and checking, which I can’t right now, I THINK the cannon is flush against the top of the reel seat. The bottom of the cannon I mean.

Cheers mate. Yep it could be, I don’t know enough about the things to know if the way I’ve got it is right or not.

Without digging it out and checking, which I can’t right now, I THINK the cannon is flush against the top of the reel seat. The bottom of the cannon I mean.
Sounds like a shit reel mate😂😂😂

Yep, I made the mistake of buying a couple of ABU 7000i C3 CT MAG HS. Nothing I could do to make them run smoothly consigned to the junk drawer, Chinese junk. Could have bought Penns but I already had some quality big pit reels that I used for carp fishing and was used to using braid on fixed spools when beach fishing for bass. I will never change back.
Oddly using small multipliers baitcasting in rivers does not give me a problem but I am not winding in 5/6 oz leads long distances.
Perhaps you are cack handed Alan. fleabay do loads of hand crab lines (just jesting) :ROFLMAO:

Interested in this thread as it’s something I have been thinking about for while now.

I don’t usually use anything to cast braid with but considering this .
And you still have all your fingers... 🤣

Ian.

Glad I could start arguments between the factions with my innocent post 🤣🤣🤣
No arguments mate, just friendly banter, you will learn once you have been on here a while.. ;)

Ian.

Back