• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Century Graphex Sport.

Fishlife

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi. New to this forum.
Been fishing sime years now and have owned a range of rods. Cheap, not so cheap and a few by the regarded 'top end' uk manufactuers.
I fancy a new rod to treat myself.
One that has caught my eye is the newer graphex sport.
For use over mixed to rough ground in fast tidal waters. I am looking for honest reviews on it.
What do people like about it ? And just as important what do people not like about it?
Looking for a bit more info, other than its slim and lightish weight for a rod of its class.
Look forward to your responses.
Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think a few on here have or have had the Graphex sport, any Century Graphex rods are going to be very good, i have five of them. Have you considered the Super Match, it's very able to venture into the rough without breaking a sweat, an excellent all rounder. I believe some have had the Sport, but changed to the Super Match. I am sure you will get good advice on here from those who have or have had the Sport. I cant comment on them, as i have the Match's and Super Match's.

Ian.

Hi. New to this forum.
Been fishing sime years now and have owned a range of rods. Cheap, not so cheap and a few by the regarded 'top end' uk manufactuers.
I fancy a new rod to treat myself.
One that has caught my eye is the newer graphex sport.
For use over mixed to rough ground in fast tidal waters. I am looking for honest reviews on it.
What do people like about it ? And just as important what do people not like about it?
Looking for a bit more info, other than its slim and lightish weight for a rod of its class.
Look forward to your responses.
Cheers
A friend of mine had one for a very short time, i had a chuck with the rod and didn't like it at all , my distances dropped by a big margin, cant put my finger on why but the rod just didn,t feel right.

Don't think the Graphex range of rods are meant to be record breaking casting rods, having said that, a certain Mr Schrader can certainly put a lead a very long way using the various models in the Graphex range, but they are excellent fishing rods, but this is just my personal opinion.

Ian.

A friend of mine had one for a very short time, i had a chuck with the rod and didn't like it at all , my distances dropped by a big margin, cant put my finger on why but the rod just didn,t feel right.
Interesting.
I know not all rods suit everybody.
Not looking for any distance, most fish around where it would be used come at about 80 to 100 yards.
The SMG is not in consideration as I own a few rods of that ilk and want something with a bit more grunt in the tip.
Anymore thoughts or considerations on the Sport would be great.

Interesting.
I know not all rods suit everybody.
Not looking for any distance, most fish around where it would be used come at about 80 to 100 yards.
The SMG is not in consideration as I own a few rods of that ilk and want something with a bit more grunt in the tip.
Anymore thoughts or considerations on the Sport would be great.
There's a guy on here uses a pair Bryce but can't find name to tag he fishes Channel @Si-fly might know?
Have a look at these https://www.breakaway-tackle.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=88&page=2

Ive the LA's more Balls than SMG and up with sport but far better tip also have the B4 which is Nuclear but still fishes well tips not as sensitive as LA but not Dumb like many powerful rods or pulls lead out either!

Sport is a lovely rod go for it you won't be disappointed powerful slim and a great rod to cast the only Reason I got rid of mine was because I wanted better bite detection hence why I have know got the ttsmg I didn't like the italcanna as much as I like the ttsmg there's a couple on here who use them but it's horses for courses bud

Last edited:
There's a guy on here uses a pair Bryce but can't find name to tag he fishes Channel @Si-fly might know?
Have a look at these https://www.breakaway-tackle.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=88&page=2

Ive the LA's more Balls than SMG and up with sport but far better tip also have the B4 which is Nuclear but still fishes well tips not as sensitive as LA but not Dumb like many powerful rods or pulls lead out either!

That will be Mark Bryce, he has a pair of most Century rods I believe ?

The sport is fairly popular, but I would say more love the TTSMG which is fairly powerful with a much better tip.

The sport has a fairly stiff tip, and bites show more as a wobble of the top section, rather than a bending of very tip, if that makes any sense!

I have fireblades which are more than capable of mixed fishing again with a carbon tip, but one which shows bites better than the sport. Obviously FB's are made to a much lower price point so eyes whipping bag and carbons used, while more than upto the job don't match those of the top ranges like the Graphex rods.
IMG_20210712_220303~2_resize_59.jpg

Kompressor s / ss. Maybe another option?

I've just picked up some old Mk 1's to try, for tope/skate, and they feel quite nice with a reasonable tip.

IMG_20210727_170311_resize_18.jpg
Si.

I guess that would be a guy called mark? Have watched hus vids on youtube, but he dosnt really focus on his rods. Be good if he could do a review on the tube.
I did consider the LA. The short version.
Dont have a local dealer as I do for Century. Lot of money to take a mail order punt. But they do look a good rod.

That will be Mark Bryce, he has a pair of most Century rods I believe ?

The sport is fairly popular, but I would say more love the TTSMG which is fairly powerful with a much better tip.

The sport has a fairly stiff tip, and bites show more as a wobble of the top section, rather than a bending of very tip, if that makes any sense!

I have fireblades which are more than capable of mixed fishing again with a carbon tip, but one which shows bites better than the sport. Obviously FB's are made to a much lower price point so eyes whipping bag and carbons used, while more than upto the job don't match those of the top ranges like the Graphex rods.
View attachment 12233

Kompressor s / ss. Maybe another option?

I've just picked up some old Mk 1's to try, for tope/skate, and they feel quite nice with a reasonable tip.

View attachment 12236
Si.

Owned a komp s and never quite liked the feel of it. Reading the spec dont think the SS would be for me either.
A friend has a fireblade. And yes its a very nice rod.
I am surprised you say that the bite indication is better.
On that point, Mostly it would be fish that register bites quite clearly, not a million miles away from your local grounds. So dosnt have to be match type tip.

Sport is a lovely rod go for it you won't be disappointed powerful slim and a great rod to cast the only Reason I got rid of mine was because I wanted better bite detection hence why I have know got the ttsmg I didn't like the italcanna as much as I like the ttsmg there's a couple on here who use them but it's horses for courses bud

Hhmm. Another mentioning the bite detection. Or lack of ?
Is it that bad. Or is it just the small fish that dont register clearly?

Hhmm. Another mentioning the bite detection. Or lack of ?
Is it that bad. Or is it just the small fish that dont register clearly?
Not great if your targeting plaice and sole but that's not to say with a fixed spool and braid it won't work it is just more of a case of what you want out of a rod

Yep hounds are great fun, on light gear. Been having a pop on em over wales on bass rods.
FB is not like a bass rod! It's still powerful, just a bit less that the sport. I pendulum 175 + whole squid most sessions with no issue ?

FB is not like a bass rod! It's still powerful, just a bit less that the sport. I pendulum 175 + whole squid most sessions with no issue ?
I know. Not saying they are. Was just saying they are fun on light gear and that is what i've been using for them. Not comparing the Fire blades to a bass rod.?

To be fair the best rod on the planet is the zziplex bullet gt bar none
Not for me. Been there, done that. T900 also a horrible rod imo.
Hate glass tip rods for large leads and baits. Butt is to thick for my girly hands also?

Back