• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Century Graphex Sport.

Any one compare to the T1000 ? Power wise.
Tried one today. Bit long but not bad otherwise

Have a look at the zulcron match or power , beautiful rods , they far better than the century ttsport ,for what your looking for I’d go for the match and it’s half the cost of the century

Have a look at the zulcron match or power , beautiful rods , they far better than the century ttsport ,for what your looking for I’d go for the match and it’s half the cost of the century
Jay lee's rods yes.
They are getting a bit of a following. The sport looks a beast, watched a vid of the match hooked up to a skate. Handled it well.
Whats the butt diameter? Hear its 28mm is that right?

Jay lee's rods yes.
They are getting a bit of a following. The sport looks a beast, watched a vid of the match hooked up to a skate. Handled it well.
Whats the butt diameter? Hear its 28mm is that right?
Yes , but when your hooked into something big you need something decent that’s not going to slip n turn around in your hands ,,,I wouldn’t swap my sport for anything it’s got great bite detection and can punch massive baits ,

To be honest I've only had experience of the mk 1 and mk2 sports, didn't get on with them,bite detection wasn't great, think there are better rods out there to suit your criteria

To be honest I've only had experience of the mk 1 and mk2 sports, didn't get on with them,bite detection wasn't great, think there are better rods out there to suit your criteria

Its mostly conger, rays etc that pull the lead out and give a good show of themselves on the tip so not looking for little trembles on this rod.
Have a few rods with match type tips for scratching about.
I may have scored a sport for a very good price but it would require a trip to bournmouth as the fella will not post. But even with fuel ontop its looking like a bargain ??

One rod you may like (if you like red ) is the Tronixpro Naga, I use a pair for mixed/heavier fishing,really good rods

Last edited:
Its mostly conger, rays etc that pull the lead out and give a good show of themselves on the tip so not looking for little trembles on this rod.
Have a few rods with match type tips for scratching about.
I may have scored a sport for a very good price but it would require a trip to bournmouth as the fella will not post. But even with fuel ontop its looking like a bargain ??
How about a AFAW Grand Prix powerful but usable rod with a reasonable tip , my mates got a big beach mk1, now there nice.

Rods bought.
Not fished with yet
Few casts before parting with the cash and was won over. Perfect ( of course not tried the bite detection) so far.
Thanks for the input.

Rods bought.
Not fished with yet
Few casts before parting with the cash and was won over. Perfect ( of course not tried the bite detection) so far.
Thanks for the input.
Silly question, what did you go for in the end ?

Ian.

I have had and still have a large number of Century rods and have tried some of the other rods in the thread above.
Rather than be negative about the other brands which is pointless I would prefer say what a few of us thought of the TTSG.
These are my own views and as such feel free to tell me I am wrong I strongly expect this particular rod to be different things to different people maybe more so than any other Century rod.
We are all different and as always your physical ability and casting ability always dictates your opinion of a rod and thats why two people can have such differing opinions.
With this in mind I am a big bloke in my 50s not as agile as I used to be, my casting is moderate to good and I use an aerialised off the ground with the lead starting somewhere around my right knee before I turn and cast. I start slow finish not as fast as I used to and flat out with 5oz I can get around 200 yards on grass.
The TTSG is a powerful rod and at first we all struggled to get the distance that was in the rod....... its obvious that the light weight powerful blank has yards in it but it was hard to get them out.
During the 1st lockdown Gray the ray and I were bored and had a bloody massive field to use which lead to us going out casting quite a bit with a lot of rods n reels and we mixed the whole lot up, as you do when you have all the time in the world for a change.
Anyway basically the TTSG was returning the same yardage as other lighter rods, in the end we did begin to unlock the power and by starting even slower and finishing as fast as we could and really hitting it at the end of the cast the yardage started to appear and from the selection of rods we were taking out it slowly started outstripping them for distance and became quite a user friendly tool that had a distance advantage over other rods about 20 yards.

That pair of rods ended up with Chalton who went on to use them on the beach for nearly a year and (I am sure that he wont mind me saying this) his casting is not very refined but it is effective because hes a unit. He had a big pair of FS reels with .35 line and was able to club a big lead and big bait out into the solent a very decent distance and drag back anything even in poor weedy conditions.

So why did we both let them go?.

Well the answer to that is a simple one, we did not need the power but we did need better bite detection and the benefits of the TTSG were not 100% applicable to the beaches we were fishing.
We both found that the TTSMG was a more appropriate rod for much of our fishing, easier to live with and have enough power to deal with most of what we were doing.

But if we our needs had been different then I think we would have kept them. If we had been primarily using the rod with 6oz in mixed ground with bigger baits where we needed more power and less refinement then I that they would have been kept and would be very much favourite rods.

So is the TTSG a good rod?
I think it is a good rod if you have the right employment for it and are a moderate caster fishing mixed ground where you need a bit of power, the lightness of the blank, the quality of the build and fixtures as with all new century rods means that its easy to own and has rock solid resale value and of course its British which is a huge plus point.
In hindsight if Chalton had not wanted a pair then they may have stayed in my ownership.......

Last edited:
I have had and still have a large number of Century rods and have tried some of the other rods in the thread above.
Rather than be negative about the other brands which is pointless I would prefer say what a few of us thought of the TTSG.
These are my own views and as such feel free to tell me I am wrong I strongly expect this particular rod to be different things to different people maybe more so than any other Century rod.
We are all different and as always your physical ability and casting ability always dictates your opinion of a rod and thats why two people can have such differing opinions.
With this in mind I am a big bloke in my 50s not as agile as I used to be, my casting is moderate to good and I use an aerialised off the ground with the lead starting somewhere around my right knee before I turn and cast. I start slow finish not as fast as I used to and flat out with 5oz I can get around 200 yards on grass.
The TTSG is a powerful rod and at first we all struggled to get the distance that was in the rod....... its obvious that the light weight powerful blank has yards in it but it was hard to get them out.
During the 1st lockdown Gray the ray and I were bored and had a bloody massive field to use which lead to us going out casting quite a bit with a lot of rods n reels and we mixed the whole lot up, as you do when you have all the time in the world for a change.
Anyway basically the TTSG was returning the same yardage as other lighter rods, in the end we did begin to unlock the power and by starting even slower and finishing as fast as we could and really hitting it at the end of the cast the yardage started to appear and from the selection of rods we were taking out it slowly started outstripping them for distance and became quite a user friendly tool that had a distance advantage over other rods about 20 yards.

That pair of rods ended up with Chalton who went on to use them on the beach for nearly a year and (I am sure that he wont mind me saying this) his casting is not very refined but it is effective because hes a unit. He had a big pair of FS reels with .35 line and was able to club a big lead and big bait out into the solent a very decent distance and drag back anything even in poor weedy conditions.

So why did we both let them go?.

Well the answer to that is a simple one, we did not need the power but we did need better bite detection and the benefits of the TTSG were not 100% applicable to the beaches we were fishing.
We both found that the TTSMG was a more appropriate rod for much of our fishing, easier to live with and have enough power to deal with most of what we were doing.

But if we our needs had been different then I think we would have kept them. If we had been primarily using the rod with 6oz in mixed ground with bigger baits where we needed more power and less refinement then I that they would have been kept and would be very much favourite rods.

So is the TTSG a good rod?
I think it is a good rod if you have the right employment for it and are a moderate caster fishing mixed ground where you need a bit of power, the lightness of the blank, the quality of the build and fixtures as with all new century rods means that its easy to own and has rock solid resale value and of course its British which is a huge plus point.
In hindsight if Chalton had not wanted a pair then they may have stayed in my ownership.......

Thank you.
You seem to match myself in terms of casting style.
And I am slow in and quick to finish in a cast.
I went with a sport and you have perfectly summed up what I needed to hear and what I thought the rod is going to be.
Out with it tomorrow so hopefully I can see what the bite detection is like.
But in all honesty I dont think I am going to have to worry.??

Thank you.
You seem to match myself in terms of casting style.
And I am slow in and quick to finish in a cast.
I went with a sport and you have perfectly summed up what I needed to hear and what I thought the rod is going to be.
Out with it tomorrow so hopefully I can see what the bite detection is like.
But in all honesty I dont think I am going to have to worry.??
I reckon you will love it, you have bought a great tool for the job in hand.
Do not be afraid to spank it, some of the longest casts I have seen on that blank have come from Chalton whos casting action is similar to seal clubbing or maybe pickaxe swinging which is what he actually excels at and gets paid for! .-)

That's probably my problem..fast sling all the way..result a 70yard chuck.
I suspect your only working the rod through about 30 degrees.............. , I fish on Chesil and every week I see some amazing casting techniques........ I have witnessed the swing it around and stick a set of mackerel feathers in my arse technique, the hit my kid in the head with the lead technique, the aim at the sea and send the lead back into west ex car park technique and the running javelin pendulob........ all have one thing in common bad timing or bad set up. The most common of all of the casting I see from less experienced casters is the one where they smash the rod through about 30 degrees with a lovely swooshing sound. The rod bends for about 1/10 of a second and then releases all the power you have put into it which is naff all.
Not sure where UM BONGO is (actually I do its in the Congo according to the song isnt it?? :)) but if you do find yourself back in good old Blighty and find yourself near Chesil drop me a line and I am happy to share my limited experience with you. Theres a meet down here in the 21st and I am sure that we can start to get you sorted out if you can make it.

I am certain that many others on here would make a similar offer and may be closer to the Congo that myself.

My best advice is actually the same advice I have been giving out for about 30 years............ watch the videos from John Holden on youtube.

They may be old but I think they explain in the simplest way how to get started and the simple rules of how to compress a fishing rod.

Back