• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Century Graphex Sport.

I suspect your only working the rod through about 30 degrees.............. , I fish on Chesil and every week I see some amazing casting techniques........ I have witnessed the swing it around and stick a set of mackerel feathers in my arse technique, the hit my kid in the head with the lead technique, the aim at the sea and send the lead back into west ex car park technique and the running javelin pendulob........ all have one thing in common bad timing or bad set up. The most common of all of the casting I see from less experienced casters is the one where they smash the rod through about 30 degrees with a lovely swooshing sound. The rod bends for about 1/10 of a second and then releases all the power you have put into it which is naff all.
Not sure where UM BONGO is (actually I do its in the Congo according to the song isnt it?? :)) but if you do find yourself back in good old Blighty and find yourself near Chesil drop me a line and I am happy to share my limited experience with you. Theres a meet down here in the 21st and I am sure that we can start to get you sorted out if you can make it.

I am certain that many others on here would make a similar offer and may be closer to the Congo that myself.

My best advice is actually the same advice I have been giving out for about 30 years............ watch the videos from John Holden on youtube.

They may be old but I think they explain in the simplest way how to get started and the simple rules of how to compress a fishing rod.
Not much chance of flappy comeing to meet Pete he lives in the highlands

I suspect your only working the rod through about 30 degrees.............. , I fish on Chesil and every week I see some amazing casting techniques........ I have witnessed the swing it around and stick a set of mackerel feathers in my arse technique, the hit my kid in the head with the lead technique, the aim at the sea and send the lead back into west ex car park technique and the running javelin pendulob........ all have one thing in common bad timing or bad set up. The most common of all of the casting I see from less experienced casters is the one where they smash the rod through about 30 degrees with a lovely swooshing sound. The rod bends for about 1/10 of a second and then releases all the power you have put into it which is naff all.
Not sure where UM BONGO is (actually I do its in the Congo according to the song isnt it?? :)) but if you do find yourself back in good old Blighty and find yourself near Chesil drop me a line and I am happy to share my limited experience with you. Theres a meet down here in the 21st and I am sure that we can start to get you sorted out if you can make it.

I am certain that many others on here would make a similar offer and may be closer to the Congo that myself.

My best advice is actually the same advice I have been giving out for about 30 years............ watch the videos from John Holden on youtube.

They may be old but I think they explain in the simplest way how to get started and the simple rules of how to compress a fishing rod.
My technique is basically hold a carp rod with a 4oz lead an unclipped rig at shoulder height and whack it overhead skywards..I would love to see how it should be done.

Like Pete said a lot can be said and learnt looking at the John Holden videos online. They may be old but still relevant today and not made to confuse you or make people think it’s only for the elite. That and a field to practice and even with carp rods you may be pleasantly surprised. As said everyone’s cast will be slightly different due to factors like age , physicality , build etc. Mine ain’t pretty through broken shoulder and tendon ruptures in the hand but re learning my cast from reel low position took a while but got there. Everyone has days practicing or fishing your cast goes pear shape try and figure out why and learn just as much as on good days. ?

My technique is basically hold a carp rod with a 4oz lead an unclipped rig at shoulder height and whack it overhead skywards..I would love to see how it should be done.
take your finishing position, straighten both arms and rotate your upper body and drop the lead on the floor at 8 oclock behind you (sea is at 12) have 6ft of line as your drop. Drop the lead on the beach and just rotate back round to your finishing position to make the cast. Rotate and do not straighten your arms so you are coming round and the rod only reaches the vertical at the finish.
I personally would try that with a 2oz lead......... its whats on the John holden video...... you will be doing 120 yards within 2 hours.

take your finishing position, straighten both arms and rotate your upper body and drop the lead on the floor at 8 oclock behind you (sea is at 12) have 6ft of line as your drop. Drop the lead on the beach and just rotate back round to your finishing position to make the cast. Rotate and do not straighten your arms so you are coming round and the rod only reaches the vertical at the finish.
I personally would try that with a 2oz lead......... its whats on the John holden video...... you will be doing 120 yards within 2 hours.
Thank you for that..I will try it next time out.

Back