• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Cheap Headlamp

So is the Petzl a wide enough light beam.
The one i got does not seem wide its more like a spot light, and you have to be continually moving your head to see
Mine has a good beam, in fact it is better overall than my expensive headlamp , I like it a lot ,but it wont pick out a rabbit at 200 yards . Then again I am not really wanting to see 200 yards.
Most headtorches are far too powerfull these days .Fine if you want to blind everybody else on the beach though.

The Tkkina does everything I want it to, 3 seperate beam modes is more than enough for me.

Dave

Another vote for a petzl here, I've got a taktikka or something like that, had it about 7-8 years now, never missed a beat and been out in some crap weather with it. Runs on 3 AAA batteries and they last absolutely ages. It's not the brightest by today's standards, but it's done me plenty wel enough over the years climbing over rocks, walking toa d from marks, fishing off rocks and beach, aswell as walking the dog and general use for work.
It does amaze me that everyone seems to want a mental amount of lumens from a light, but I never even use mine of full. Usually 1 for fishing, 2 or 3 for landing a fish and maybe. 1 or 2 is easily good enough for everything else. 4th setting never gets used really.

is there anywhere near you that you can see the lights yourself? As personally I think the only way to see if the light pattern is what you want is to see it in person.
Yes tbh I rarely use the massive spot beam on my main light (Princeton Tec) for anything while actually fishing.
Maybe if on a high rock mark when there’s a big swell, to help land a fish.
Sometimes to pick a path back over rocks but once I’ve sussed the route, it goes back to a lower setting as I can’t walk along with it that bright, reflects too much.
Only time it’s on constantly is when wading pools in the summer looking for spiders, as it penetrates right into the pool. But that’s not bothering anyone except the spiders and a few other startled sea creatures!

Ok then think it will be the Petzle Tikina then.

Just one thing, it is rechargeable isnt it?
And does it come with a charging lead?

I have 3 Petzl headlamps, one of which is a Tikka.
They light up what I'm looking at.
If I had to choose one it would be the one with the red light for baiting up and general fiddling around without killing your night vision. Very useful option.

Any of them will give you 6 hours of useable light on a low setting and occasional higher power.

Dropped Silva years ago. A few of us bought one as it was on offer, about £80 at the time, meant to be the bees knees.

A good light, until two of my mate’s ones melted. Not just a bit melted - full on disintegration that nearly melted the face of one and burned down the house of the other lol.

I watched mine like a hawk and one night fishing it became too hot to touch and started to warp a bit, so never used it again.

I appreciate that was probably a specific model issue but as you might imagine, it put us all off Silva big time!
Surprised I’ve had my silva sprint for over 10 years and it’s never missed a beat either fishing or used on my mountain bikes. As you said may of been model specific but can only go on my experience of them and never had a problem. Got a fenix aswell and again can only go on my time using them but also a quality lamp. Had plenty of cheap lamps and can’t be arsed with the worry of will it won’t it work or stay the course especially if I’m out on the reefs up the channel. 😀

Surprised I’ve had my silva sprint for over 10 years and it’s never missed a beat either fishing or used on my mountain bikes. As you said may of been model specific but can only go on my experience of them and never had a problem. Got a fenix aswell and again can only go on my time using them but also a quality lamp. Had plenty of cheap lamps and can’t be arsed with the worry of will it won’t it work or stay the course especially if I’m out on the reefs up the channel. 😀
This was a long time ago, probably best part of 20 years, but at the time it was a great light and better than a lot on the market then.
Until it tried to spontaneously combust 🙄
My mate got a new one from silva and it did it again lol.
Not sure why I didn’t, think my warranty had run out as mine didn’t burst into flames as quickly 😂

I’m pretty sure it was just an issue with that model but you’ll appreciate it put me off the brand!

Back