• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Cheap Headlamp

Here’s the thread Dutch… and a bit about my first impressions of the one I bought.

Currently showing as £19.99 for two lamps, but you can browse around that link and look at similar products too if you wanted.

It’s cheap, it’s light and plenty bright enough for what you need.

I have a good quality and reliable headlamp, but always carry a spare .
I have one of these as a spare , it is fairly small , light , has a beam with three settings Low med and high.
It takes 3 AAA batteries which seem to last forever. Mine is one of the cheaper ones.
I have found that I use it more than my larger headlamp.

Personally I do not like rechargeable headlamps as you can be left in the dark if you forget to recharge, 3 spare AAA batteries take up no room at all and can be changed in seconds .

I have come to the rescue of a couple of friends when their expensive rechargeable headtorches have let them down by lending them the above .

Dave

I have one of these as a spare , it is fairly small , light , has a beam with three settings Low med and high.
It takes 3 AAA batteries which seem to last forever. Mine is one of the cheaper ones.

Personally I do not like rechargeable headlamps as you can be left in the dark if you forget to recharge, 3 spare AAA batteries take up no room at all and can be changed in seconds .

I have come to the rescue of a couple of friends when their expensive rechargeable headtorches have let them down by lending them the above .

Dave

Nice little light for the money Dave. Best of both worlds with my Olight H2R Nova - it uses 18650 rechargeable batteries, bought it with a spare, and one battery easily does 2 trips. I've used it as a torch a couple of times around the house recently so ought to give it a charge!

1671099550543.png

Nice little light for the money Dave. Best of both worlds with my Olight H2R Nova - it uses 18650 rechargeable batteries, bought it with a spare, and one battery easily does 2 trips. I've used it as a torch a couple of times around the house recently so ought to give it a charge!

View attachment 36998
They’re not the cheapest though?

I wouldn’t normally advise people to buy cheap but I think for what Dutchman wants, a £15 Amazon jobby will do just fine.

I wouldn’t normally advise people to buy cheap but I think for what Dutchman wants, a £15 Amazon jobby will do just fine.
Maybe, but the Petzle Tikina is only £20.00 , thats the one I have and it has been a really good one, the cheap and chearfull from Amazon will probably go tits up in short order, with Petzle they are a tried and tested brand.

Dave

Maybe, but the Petzle Tikina is only £20.00 , thats the one I have and it has been a really good one, the cheap and chearfull from Amazon will probably go tits up in short order, with Petzle they are a tried and tested brand.

Dave
Fair one. I was really referring to Tramp’s one which is showing at £70 at the moment (but out of stock), which is probably more than Dutch wants or needs.

Look at sports pursuits had some nice silva ones on their half price at 30 notes. Never had a prob with my silva sprint.

Wow, imo there is absolutley no need to spend that kind of coin ( £70.00 ) on any headlamp these days, true that there are a lot that look very good and cheap too, but there are also a lot that look good but are total rubbish, mostly cheap Chinese or similar ones that fall apart .

Dave

Look at sports pursuits had some nice silva ones on their half price at 30 notes. Never had a prob with my silva sprint.
Dropped Silva years ago. A few of us bought one as it was on offer, about £80 at the time, meant to be the bees knees.

A good light, until two of my mate’s ones melted. Not just a bit melted - full on disintegration that nearly melted the face of one and burned down the house of the other lol.

I watched mine like a hawk and one night fishing it became too hot to touch and started to warp a bit, so never used it again.

I appreciate that was probably a specific model issue but as you might imagine, it put us all off Silva big time!

No, far from the cheapest, though the newer model is currently 30% off on the Olight website.
My post was more a reply to Dave when he said he doesn't like rechargeable lights. With mine, you can recharge it via the magnetic charging clip, and you have the option of changing the battery, or charging the batteries in a separate charger.

Dave
I have a cheapo like the Petzle style, and like that style and rather have a rechargeable one.
pic below of the Petzle one.
I looked quick on ebay, but they looked a lot larger on front, some with more round lights, but saw the one in the lower pic, would that give a wider view with the wide lower lens and better light than the Petzle, or does the Petzl give a vide enough view?
bl_336090_a

s-l1600.jpg

I have a cheapo like the Petzle style, and like that style and rather have a rechargeable one.
pic below of the Petzle one.
I looked quick on ebay, but they looked a lot larger on front, some with more round lights, but saw the one in the lower pic, would that give a wider view with the wide lower lens and better light than the Petzle, or does the Petzl give a vide enough view?
bl_336090_a

s-l1600.jpg
I’ve got something similar to the bottom one, it’s my back up light.
No idea what make, bought it at the local tools/parts place one evening when I was going to dig worm and realised I’d forgotten a headlight!
It looks like the same brand, different model.
Mine is pretty bright (too bright for much of my fishing), but it’s more of a spot than a flood, can’t be adjusted.
As I say though, it’s an older model so can’t speak for the one pictured there.

Ironically I bought the thing after work, then sat in the car thinking ‘it’s cold and I’m tired, don’t want to be splatting around in mud half the evening’ and never did go and dig the worm that night!

Just to add, my version of that brand is rather heavy and unfortunately I can’t seem to adjust the strap very well, so it sits a bit loose on my head.
It’s fine as a back up though, and gives a decent light.

So is the Petzl a wide enough light beam.
The one i got does not seem wide its more like a spot light, and you have to be continually moving your head to see

Wow, imo there is absolutley no need to spend that kind of coin ( £70.00 ) on any headlamp these days, true that there are a lot that look very good and cheap too, but there are also a lot that look good but are total rubbish, mostly cheap Chinese or similar ones that fall apart .

Dave
Name which one's are not Choogie made though?

Quite happy with my Led Lenser H19 signature bit(maybe+)more than the core/standard one but this was cheaper than that with deal and code! £140 ish? posted loads of types of brackets also to wear/fix anywhere? even can work via bluetooth if it's your fetish?
But like it's dam bright when need it! like when need to find a path or route to get over/through rocks etc or check to see if times not cutting you off!
But goes nice and low for when don't has spot and flood which i use on low flood mostly or use on red light and charge lasts forever!
Can swap batteries even and no questions guaranty for many years as my H14r2 seems to have a hissy fit? checked serial number up at there end and said post it to use no problem.

Night searcher do some good lights have one got "really cheap" via ebay one white one red light both adjustable levels slide filter one side or other so spot or flood bright enough for most things it's rechargeable lasts a reasonable time spot on for back up even might have been they have had a fair while why sold off cheap over batteries sitting around? but did ring them to say one don't last as long as other or rated time sent me out another FOC and a UK company down south coast.

https://shop.nightsearcher.com/category/head-torch check what they sell have some good cheap ones also

Tie a knot in the strap..👍
I have done that with other old straps but this one is quite thick and it just seems to be caught between the wrong lengths, if you see what I mean?

Tbh whenever I think of adjusting it I’m on the beach and after fiddling for a bit, just give up and make do. Obviously awkward in the dark too!
As the back up, I don’t give it much thought until I actually need it 🙄
One of these days will get around to having a proper look at home in daylight when I’ve got time to do it.

Dave

Another vote for a petzl here, I've got a taktikka or something like that, had it about 7-8 years now, never missed a beat and been out in some crap weather with it. Runs on 3 AAA batteries and they last absolutely ages. It's not the brightest by today's standards, but it's done me plenty wel enough over the years climbing over rocks, walking toa d from marks, fishing off rocks and beach, aswell as walking the dog and general use for work.
It does amaze me that everyone seems to want a mental amount of lumens from a light, but I never even use mine of full. Usually 1 for fishing, 2 or 3 for landing a fish and maybe. 1 or 2 is easily good enough for everything else. 4th setting never gets used really.

is there anywhere near you that you can see the lights yourself? As personally I think the only way to see if the light pattern is what you want is to see it in person.

I also have a proper budget headlamp that I bought for my son to use at home round the garden, it's reasonably bright, but only has two settings and no beam adjustment, was about £3 from a local cheap shop. Seems alright but I wouldn't trust it as my main light for anything, just feels cheap and flimsy compared to my petzl.

Back