• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Cogden

Good to see a chesil report so few on here

I too fished last night though at west bexington mind you had to walk so far to get a spot probably weren’t too far away from you at Cogden! Didn’t do so well though another blank.

As you say spiders stripping everything in 15 minutes even whole squid! A night of relentlessly rebaiting.

Started about 8pm & packed up at 2am only had 2 bites typically both at the same time around high tide 1.30 bumped off what felt like a big eel while a slack liner on the other rod had by then departed.

A guy in the car park kindly donated me some rag worms to add to my mackerel & squid. Have been trying to go lighter & further with clipped down rigs or 3 hook flappers & size 1/0 hooks but hard to commit to such while baits are being stripped. Well done on catching what rigs/hooks/bait worked for you & what sort of distance were you fishing at? Apologies for all the questions but seem to be getting nowhere last few times out!

Oh & on the plus side no weed here & managed to escape the storms on the long trek back to the car.
The best advice in can give you is concentrate your efforts around the High and low water periods. If you aren't getting much tide the spiders are going to hammer the bait every cast. I use size 4 varivas super match hooks, 3 hook clip down rigs with 6 inch hook links, very short rig which allows for more distance. I only use small worm bairs, single rag/blow lug, 1/3 of a black tightly whipped to the hook lasts longer. My mainline is 13lb breaking strain, tapered leader, 5oz lead (no grips even for sole!) let your lead swing around in the tide. I suppose the distance is anywhere between 90 and 120 yards, depending on wind direction. I used to aim for as far as possible but found more fish around the 100 yard mark. You are definitely fishing the right areas ? hope this helps a bit.

Back