• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Continental style leads.

Never had a conti lead fail on me there my go to for plaice fishing or when there’s not much tide does improve catch rate who knows but fish are attracted to bioluminescence so there might be something in it
Any idea on the rating of the swivels used? Thought I’d seen 90-100lb somewhere regarding some leads but can’t find that now.

They just don't look safe to me, we know no lead is 100% safe, but the swivel ones just look like an accident waiting to happen. JMO.

Ian.
I suppose they’re only designed for either off the ground or overhead thump. Was the thread I’d seen where one had failed during a Pendulum cast? Or is that something I’ve read on Facebook on another forum?

I think we all know that any of the terminal tackle we use isn't 100% safe, and we launch lumps of lead seawards that puts immense stress on all of the components, so there is always going to be risk involved.

Ian.

I think we all know that any of the terminal tackle we use isn't 100% safe, and we launch lumps of lead seawards that puts immense stress on all of the components, so there is always going to be risk involved.

Ian.
No, totally agree but I do believe you can factor in enough on the safety side regarding your terminal tackle.

One of my pet peeves when I see lads tying rigs, especially something like a clipped pulley is a snood breaking strain of only 30lb 🤦‍♂️ Minimum on anything I tie and sell on to others or use myself would be 60lb as I wouldn’t need more than 6oz. 99% of the time my pulley snoods are 80lb standard, but I’d try talking/discussing that with anyone I might tie for as to me that light a hook snood casting with a lead is like you say a weak point in your tackle and a risk that can be lessened.

Kev, you are quite right mate, i can remember many many years ago, bear in mind i have been beach fishing for 50 years now, i was talking to a young chap on the beach, when he was setting up with his rig, he actually tied his lead on with a granny knot, feck me i was off that beach quicker than that, never saw him again.

Ian.

This might be what you were looking for Kev. ?

Ian.

Kev, you are quite right mate, i can remember many many years ago, bear in mind i have been beach fishing for 50 years now, i was talking to a young chap on the beach, when he was setting up with his rig, he actually tied his lead on with a granny knot, feck me i was off that beach quicker than that, never saw him again.

Ian.
I think I would have been too mate having seen that!

This might be what you were looking for Kev. ?

Ian.
Think that might well have been the one, from memory it made a few groups on Facebook where it was debated about too.

Back