• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Members who are regular contributors and have posted more than 25 times, will see no adverts.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Currently eel fishing

1719112543878443973578388057720.jpg

On a new lake.
Just two small eels last night.

Btw, the potential new eel record came out from the lake I fished previously in this thread.
I said there were some monsters in there!!

By-catch
14ish

IMG_20240623_054900_HDR.jpg

On a new lake.
Just two small eels last night.

Btw, the potential new eel record came out from the lake I fished previously in this thread.
I said there were some monsters in there!!
I love Eel fishing. Its the one fish that are never artificially stocked. That coupled with their ability to stay alive out of water for long periods and cross good distances of land by themselves aswell as being able to live a long time. I just find them so mysterious and amazing. Plus they fight harder than any other fish pound for pound.

@Shirleycodlin how do you know the potential new Eel record was from the previous lake you fished? Have you some insider info? 😏

It's always so exciting fishing a new potential big Eel venue 🤩 Good luck on the rest of your session mate 🎣

No, blood worm bolie.
Think on the carp syndicate waters, the eels are switched on to hi protein foods now.
Using a mix of those plus traditional eel baits.

I've seen the photos and know the lake.

No, blood worm bolie.
Think on the carp syndicate waters, the eels are switched on to hi protein foods now.
Using a mix of those plus traditional eel baits.

I've seen the photos and know the lake.
Yeah I think you're right mate. So often the carp boys pick up random big Eels on boilies or halibut pellet. I'm pretty sure the new record was caught on halibut pellet too. I'm just so glad that the new record was caught by an Eel angler by design and not a random carp boy. It just seems right for a record for Eels.

Yeah I think you're right mate. So often the carp boys pick up random big Eels on boilies or halibut pellet. I'm pretty sure the new record was caught on halibut pellet too. I'm just so glad that the new record was caught by an Eel angler by design and not a random carp boy. It just seems right for a record for Eels.
Yes, fair play to him.

Never understood when used to have night sessions eel fishing with pal who was addicted why so many runs with both dead baits and worms yet lift into nothing🤔

Many moons back knew a lad that commercially trapped and sold eels to London market ( tanked then collected) he had some fair fish out of tiny brick pits which got trapped on rota but he always released the larger fish.
Areas he worked were never that far from estuary and land drains, and was done as a part time thing.

It's a case of using their tactics but using the baits and fishing the areas they avoid due to eels.
Then converting bites/runs into hook ups.
The big problem is avoiding deep hooking.
Eels are prone to bleeding out if hooked anywhere but the lip.
Twig rigs and quick strikes help lip hooking.

It's a case of using their tactics but using the baits and fishing the areas they avoid due to eels.
Then converting bites/runs into hook ups.
The big problem is avoiding deep hooking.
Eels are prone to bleeding out if hooked anywhere but the lip.
Twig rigs and quick strikes help lip hooking.
Agreed, Twig rigs are definitely the best way to reduce deep hooking 👍
I've not been Eel fishing yet this season. I normally go at least a couple times a year with my Dad, but this year sea fishing has taken a priority

Used to go quite often to Bishopthorpe Palace on the Ouse near York many many years ago.Collected Lobs Worms on the local Cricket Ground the night before,was a case of picking them up by torch light.Had quite a few decent sized specimens.Doubt they will be there in the numbers that they were then.

Used to go quite often to Bishopthorpe Palace on the Ouse near York many many years ago.Collected Lobs Worms on the local Cricket Ground the night before,was a case of picking them up by torch light.Had quite a few decent sized specimens.Doubt they will be there in the numbers that they were then.
Yeah they definitely aren't about in the numbers they used to be

I used to go clatting for eels many years ago, fished for elvers too in the 70s and 80s. Both a delicacy for the real Somerset levels folk.
They are making a comeback though thanks to control of elver fishing and finally we're getting visuals on eels in some of the local drains. I've seen fish that would make 6 or 7lb, no doubt there's bigger out there. For those who like congers have a look at "glatting", popular sport around Watchet and Kilve. Basically hunting congers in the rocks at low tide with dogs. I can just remember being out with grandad and the uncles in the early 1960s.

Support Us

Support from our members means we don't need to plaster advertisements around the website! Keeping it clean and fresh! Maintaining a website such as this takes time and money, and your support helps to keep the lights on, provide new features for the website and, hopefully, make you feel warm and fuzzy!

Thank you for considering to help support our work.
Back