• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Daiwa 7 HT series.

goose

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Had the original 7ht ,how do the newer mag and supertuned versions compare and is the supertuned a user friendly model or more tournament orientated and worth the big price hike ? Can get the blue mag for £285 while the st cheapest I can find is £525.

use both and both are great fishing reels and wouldn’t have a problem using them at all. Just get the drive shim for them think Russ at black dog does them. Use them on my south coast fishing but use heavier reels for my Bristol Channel rough ground work.

I've had blue 7htMags since they were released. Definitely fit the pinion support from Blakdog. They are good clean ground distance reels. The magnofuge system is genius but be aware doesn't work on a short cast/lob. Like all the round baitcasters, essentially ABU 6500 style derivatives, the gearing and drive train is not up to repeated heavy duty work. No idea on the extra return on investment with the ST, some say its worth it, others not, I've never felt the need for carbon handles etc

I have three Mag's and four ST's, the ST's are superb casting reels, but like Topwater said you wont get the braking system working correctly without getting the spool spinning very fast, once set up, they are fool proof. But they are only suitable for clean ground fishing. (y)

Ian.

Do you think the STs are worth the considerable additional cost Wingnut? Can they cast much further than the blues? What are the added benefits?

Had the original 7ht ,how do the newer mag and supertuned versions compare and is the supertuned a user friendly model or more tournament orientated and worth the big price hike ? Can get the blue mag for £285 while the st cheapest I can find is £525.

In practical terms there's not much extra you get from the ST other than it looks a bit more flashy .... I can't see where you gain any great practical advantage with the ST other than the gearbox side plate has a better boss setup which leads to less instances of it coming loose (a fairly common event with the blue mags if they are worked hard). You could save a lot by picking up a good second hand one but be careful what you go for as there is a lot of knackered crap out there and you really need to know what to look for to avoid a dog.

I would avoid a new version of the original 7HT as they are no longer made in Japan and the quality of those is nothing like what it used to be unfortunately.

Do you think the STs are worth the considerable additional cost Wingnut? Can they cast much further than the blues? What are the added benefits?
I use my ST's all the time, they cast further than the Mag's, well I can with mine, are they worth the hefty price difference over the Mag's, I think so, but then others may not, you pays your money and makes your choice. (y)

Ian.

Which model I buy will only be used over clean ground as I have rough ground reels. Tempted to go for the ST's but can't find any deals on a pair currently, best I've found is £1070.

Yes it is a lot of cash. Everyone is entitled to spend their hard earned on what they like of course. I know folk that have paid a lot more than a grand on a stream trout fly reel which considering the relative simplicity of engineering involved in fabricating what amounts to a simple line storage drum is imo plain daft, but each to their own eh

Yes it is a lot of cash. Everyone is entitled to spend their hard earned on what they like of course. I know folk that have paid a lot more than a grand on a stream trout fly reel which considering the relative simplicity of engineering involved in fabricating what amounts to a simple line storage drum is imo plain daft, but each to their own eh
Well I mean that’s worth it..😎

Which model I buy will only be used over clean ground as I have rough ground reels. Tempted to go for the ST's but can't find any deals on a pair currently, best I've found is £1070.
When Uttings get more stock, and they don't put their prices up, you will get a pair for £838.. ;)

Ian.

Price is all relative to what you get from it over time. My zziplex zf250's were well over twenty five years old when I sold them for a very good price. My saltwater fly rod even older and heavily used when I finally broke it so paid a lot to replace that and a reel. Still have an original 7 HT and 6500 chrome rocket but want a nice pair of reels for the zf replacement's TTGSM so not really bothered about price as they should last untill I peg out .

I haven't had the issues that some 7ht Mags have had with the pressed-in boss coming loose on my own reels, but I have seen it on a reel I serviced for a club member. I paid what I thought was a fair chunk of money back then - £320 for a pair. Even with the rise in cost for seemingly everything, I doubt I'd consider paying £500 plus for a pair.

Last edited:
Back