• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Daiwa 7 HT series.

I'm not aware of any plates but to be honest all they need is a pinion support and maybe a re-press if they develop a 'tick'. As for aftermarket stuff ... there are screwsets, drag washers, handles, gears and you can fit a monomag if your brave. Thats without getting really involved and modding the mag collar and tension mechanism on the end of the spool. I still reckon the best cash you can spend on them is for a set of carbontex washers ... the standard ones are not the best.

Personally, though I don't use them I like them to work on ... faults aside they are better made than a lot of stuff on the market and parts are available ... which is more than you can say for ABU stuff right now.
Fuck me.. hardly have time to eat and wash never mind all that palaver..🙄

Interesting thoughts Russ. I wasn't aware of many accessories being available for them. I know of 'tournament' cages and your pinion support sleeves, are there aftermarket sideplates that solve the boss issues?
Have a word with "Pimp my Ringpiece" Tops, sure he will sort something... 🤣

Ian.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any plates but to be honest all they need is a pinion support and maybe a re-press if they develop a 'tick'. As for aftermarket stuff ... there are screwsets, drag washers, handles, gears and you can fit a monomag if your brave. Thats without getting really involved and modding the mag collar and tension mechanism on the end of the spool. I still reckon the best cash you can spend on them is for a set of carbontex washers ... the standard ones are not the best.

Personally, though I don't use them I like them to work on ... faults aside they are better made than a lot of stuff on the market and parts are available ... which is more than you can say for ABU stuff right now.
I'm with you on the Carbontex Russ - they're a good choice for any drag replacement ime and I've bought seveal sets from your site as well cloth that I've cut out myself. Screwsets, QTC, Gomexus, Studio Hedgehog etc, as nice as they are, are just trim bling in my experience. I'd definitely like to see a drive plate side solution as I'd buy several. A couple of the reels I've been asked to salvage have ended up with repressed bosses, one has been permanently fixed with JBWeld and a touch up with Ford Polar Blue 😉 I've done the additional washer to mag spring tune you recommend on your site, and it's been a winner for field casting blue7s, but these days I'm rarely field casting. I'm definitely more bait fishing in between bouts of lure fishing. My sea angling efforts have had to change to suit the available target species. Winter fishing codling has been poor to non existent in my areas for a couple of seasons, and generally in decline for a good while. Still love the good UK blanks and multies though. There's pleasure in casting the 'old way' thats rewarding in itself, even if it's whiting 🥹

Because that isn't that simple to make happen and its an expensive system to manufacture.

Nope .. been a steady issue since day one and I've had a steady stream of them. Much of it is related to how hard the boss is pressed on as there is quite an area of boss to press ... get it wrong and it doesn't go on tight enough. From what I can see this causes a secondary issue because I think when they cut the hole in the plate they allow for expansion of the pressed boss so if it isn't stuck on hard enough the space is not taken up in the hole which means you effectively have a lightly pressed on boss in a loose seating hole.

I think they view it as a flaw in the manufacture of a part not the reel and I sort of agree with them ... if the boss is pressed on properly it really isn't an issue unless the reel is worked very very hard. Like everything else if they are treated rough they need regular parts ... skull-dragging Rays in at range is a bit like going cross-country in a Ferrari if we are being honest.

The other reason (and this is just a hunch) might be what I call the mechano principle .... anglers like modding and fettling everything from cars to houses and I think reels to many are the same. Sometimes a machine that needs modifying to bring out its full promise can be more attractive than one that does it all out of the box. When Honda released the NC30 motorbike it had loads of promise but the english version was way too expensive for most of the people who would want it and the Jap version was restricted .... rather than kill it, this led to a ream of modification parts to trick it up and remove any restriction. Being smart Honda released all the factory manuals and let people get on with making pattern parts and the thing became an icon.

To a lesser extent I think Daiwa have realised that this stuff ensures that the magnofuge is always being talked about and the accessories become part of the enjoyment of ownership.
Interesting the issues have been there from day one, these lads have definitely all had loads more issues with recently made reels afaik.

We assumed it was a drop in quality, or maybe a move to a new factory ect....... maybe just a lot of bad luck then, or the lads are just casting harder and catching more fish 😀👍

Interesting the issues have been there from day one, these lads have definitely all had loads more issues with recently made reels afaik.

We assumed it was a drop in quality, or maybe a move to a new factory ect....... maybe just a lot of bad luck then, or the lads are just casting harder and catching more fish 😀👍
Maybe a current batch, or some idiot set a press up too light in the factory ... but most definitely not new as they started to appear within weeks of them coming out.

I’m quite hard on my reels and off course my blue mag went wobbly and had to be sent to daiwa to be re-pressed. Since then and after fitting the pinion support and carbontex washers it’s been a good solid reel. I’ve not been particularly gentle with it either. 😊

Back