• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Didn’t quite pay off

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Better do a report from last night! Sorry, only one pic, was quite busy and didn’t really think of pics much.

Had a comp on so headed down to way west chesil as this time last year I had some good sized channel whiting down there up to 1lb 10.
I knew most of the others would be flounder fishing in the estuary up this way, but more chance of a 1lb 8 specimen whiting at chesil than a 2lb flounder out of the river, plus I just haven’t felt the urge for the estuary this year.

Didn’t fancy the long drive but it’s a relatively easy spot and I don’t mind catching whiting if they’re a reasonable size.
There was a bit of a weather window - 15mph SE until the early hours then building into the gales down there today. I was planning to pack up around midnight anyway.

Pulled up at the car park and only two others on the beach. They reported they’d had nothing all day but had started to get bites after dark.

I walked about 300 yards past them and set up. Nothing fancy, two hook clipped down flapper on one rod with size 1 hooks and a light pulley with size 1 on the other (only allowed a max of two rods, three hooks in a comp).

Bait was straightforward - mackerel and squid strips mostly with a bit of frozen black here and there for variety as sometimes the ting can be a bit partial to that.

Wasn’t fussed about codling in the slightest - would need to be 8lb or more to do anything and the target was strictly a big whiting or pout.

The flapper had barely hit the water and it was rattling away.
Brought in a half pound whiting within minutes, so they were about.
Rebaited a spare trace, biting again within minutes, this time a chunky pout of maybe 14oz, looking promising!

After all that I realised the other rod had been out half hour or so - brought that in to discover a much bigger whiting!
Sadly it was one of the skinnier sort and went 1lb 1 but looked 1lb 8. Not quite enough to meet the 70% of specimen minimum to qualify (I thought) but I wasn’t sure so planned to check.
Then I dropped it in the sand and it gained two ounces. Bollocks to it I thought, ain’t big enough and looks like I’ll get a bigger one tonight…

There followed a hectic two hours, let the rods soak for 10 minutes, reel in a fish or two, then repeat.
Most were quite chunky pout but nothing over a pound.

Chunky pout…

883960A1-EEDA-42EE-8CCD-F1CD6C39CFB8.jpeg

I also had the tiniest cute huss you’d ever seen, looked like a bath toy!
Wish I’d got a picture but was down by the water and turned out he wasn’t even hooked, had just got the bait wedged in his mouth, so I flicked it out and got him back quickly.

Things then explicably slowed right up about two hours into the flood. I was still getting the odd pout and some double shots too, but the ting had vanished.

I took the time to do the percentage sum for that 1lb 1 whiting… argh! 70.8%… feck it!
By now the fish would have lost weight and it was still covered in sand anyway.

I just wasn’t sure why the fishing had slowed. I was getting the odd whiting of about 12-14oz on the rod running to my right downtide, so as the others had left I decided to move everything 60 yards or so to the right.

Things did start to improve a little, a few more whiting came in, most taking a liking to lug n squid.
I was still getting the odd pout but they were smaller now.

As high tide approached, so did the end of my stamina, with my ongoing aches and pains getting worse and made worse by trudging up and down all night to cast and bring in fish.
At midnight I decided that although things seemed to have improved a bit, my body had really had enough and I still had a one hour 45 or so drive to get back.
So I dallied a bit but at 12.30 packed up. Weighed the whiting after risking a soaking to wash it off, and it had lost an ounce so was under by then anyway.

Turns out the comp was won by a 1lb 7 flounder and second and third were within an ounce or two of that.
I can’t be arsed to do the maths but it would have been pretty close!
Never mind, I don’t enter them to win anyway 🙄🙄🙄

Good effort mate weird how the tings go off the feed they must work there way up and down the shoreline in packs but well done for haveing a go I’ll be up that way arfter all this xmas none sence
👍👍👍

Nice report Tony - well done for the effort. A Ting over a pound isn't to be sneezed at! 🎣🎣👍👍

Good effort mate weird how the tings go off the feed they must work there way up and down the shoreline in packs but well done for haveing a go I’ll be up that way arfter all this xmas none sence
👍👍👍
Cheers mate. Yes that’s all I could figure, that the shoal was up and down.
It wasn’t exactly rough but lumpier than I’d usually like for ting fishing, don’t know if that made any difference at all?

Cheers Pete. 1lb 8 would have been better though!
Usually I love an autumn ting bash, bucket, cling film filleting knife like a razor.
10lb of lovely big clean fillets......
This year I have only had 2 decent ones! fortunately the codling have been plentiful.
Maybe they are late, I think I will go and have a look after this blow, at least I should get some codling.

Last edited:
Decent effort mate. You have got to be in it and so on and so forth. Shame the bigger ones didn't show their faces

Was that CMSAC..? Remember fishing a few of those when they meant under Watermouth castle, please dont tell me how long ago that was !!

You have a great writing style, really vivid, have you thought about doing it professionally..?

Was that CMSAC..? Remember fishing a few of those when they meant under Watermouth castle, please dont tell me how long ago that was !!

You have a great writing style, really vivid, have you thought about doing it professionally..?
What you haven't seen his articles in Goat monthly 😳😂

No, though I used to be in the club and fish those as a teenager. We nearly always fished Watermouth as didn’t have transport for anywhere else.
This was for the Bideford club. CMSAC is still my local club but most of my mates are in the Bideford one.

Erm, kind of lol, I am a journalist by trade and now freelance, PR, copywriting etc…

Usually I love an autumn ting bash, bucket, cling film filleting knife like a razor.
10lb of lovely big clean fillets......
This year I have only had 2 decent ones! fortunately the codling have been plentiful.
Maybe they are late, I think I will go and have a look after this blow, at least I should get some codling.
Yes I was aware there hadn’t been the usual reports of the big channel whiting but figured I’d give it a go - even a 1lb 4 would have done 🙄

I’d have been more confident in the cold still weather - at least up here that’s prime whiting conditions, but I don’t know how much that matters on chesil?

Back